Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Agentbromsnor

Parallel Doomensions - Quake 1 Styled Community Megawad

11 hours ago, Agentbromsnor said:

Also: @Urthar, I notice that BOOMQTEX also contains MIDI renditions of the Quake NIN songs (which are seriously cool). Are you okay with us using those too? How about altering the menu title to "Parallel Doomensions", is that allowed?

Sure, just credit Silent Zorah for the MIDI, he made them. Yeah, change the title to whatever you need.

8 hours ago, plums said:

@Urthar sorry I didn't realize the extent of the work you did when you first suggested this project use boomqtex, that's some top-notch work in there. How did you swirl the liquid flats? That's something I'd previously played around with a lot, but could never get a satisfactory result using 64px flats. These ones look great though.

Thanks, I used GIMP for creating the warp:

7 hours ago, Agentbromsnor said:

Urthar, I found the sprite for the torch in your WAD starting with SMGTA0. Is it okay if we use that one? I assume you used DeHackEd for this?

BOOMQTEX Reference Guide For Mappers

Texture Naming Convention

QM   - Medieval Textures
QR   - Runic Textures
QT   - TechBase Textures
QF   - Flats
QA   - Animated

Monsters

Shambler  - (Type 84 replaces Wolfenstein SS)
Spawn      - (Type 72 replaces Commander Keen)
Scrag       - (Type 88 replaces Icon of Sin)

Decorations

Small Flame          - (Type 55 replaces Small Blue Firestick)
Torch                  - (Type 56 replaces Small Green Firestick)
Large Flame         - (Type 57 replaces Small Red Firestick)
Gargoyle             - (Type 43 replaces Gray Tree)
Gargoyle Torch    - (Type 85 replaces Tall Techno Floor Lamp)
Light Globe         - (Type 2028 replaces Floor Lamp)

Ambient Sounds

Ambient Computer - (Type 78 replaces Hanging Torso, Brain Removed)
Ambient Drone      - (Type 75 replaces Hanging Torso, Looking Down)
Ambient Suck       - (Type 77 replaces Hanging Torso, Looking Up)
Ambient Buzz       - (Type 76 replaces Hanging Torso, Open Skull)
Ambient Portal      - (Type 74 replaces Hanging Victim, Guts And Brain Removed)
Ambient Fire         - (Type 73 replaces Hanging Victim, Guts Removed)
Ambient Marsh      - (Type 79 replaces Pool Of Blood And Guts)

There's tutorial stuff related to BOOMQTEX in the second page of the DotB thread,

and this additional one posted on it's own:

Some additional quirks of BOOMQTEX:

Fast doors have medieval sound effects.

Slow doors have techbase sound effects.

Chaingun, Cyberdemon and Spidermastermind were altered significantly.

Other monsters had minor changes.

At the time Zandronium didn't entirely support MBF features, so there's a decorate lump that mimics the DEHACKED stuff,

along a few other ZDoom lumps for the benefit of the Z family of ports. So if you want to revert or change any of that, bear

that in mind, or ask me to make the changes since I'm most familar with it.

Edited by Urthar

On 3/16/2020 at 11:06 AM, Agentbromsnor said:

The aim wouldn't be to make this a total conversion; I think it's best to leave all of the props, monsters etc. the way they are unless somebody could somehow pull them off in a way that doesn't feel out of place.

Since the resource pack is apparently bundled with a Dehacked file and some sprites that alter some enemies' behaviors and HP; are you intend on getting rid of this? I think the included monsters are perfectly fine and closely emulated the behaviors of OG monsters.

For the Boom vs. ZDoom issue, I suggest a compromise: make a Boom episode with Boom maps playable in PrBoom+, and a ZDoom episode with ZDoom maps.

Each episode can be split into its own subepisodes based on theme (tech, medieval, runic, or whatever).

1 hour ago, Gez said:

For the Boom vs. ZDoom issue,

Can't you guys just accept that a project uses a format you don't want to use?

The current contributors consented into making a full megawad that would be able to be completed from start to end with a single sourceport.

Making it so that people can play half of a project in one of the most popular sourceports, but not the other half, is just janky and inconvenient. You could do your own project thread.

I'm not sure if you missed my previous post so I'll say it again, can I claim one of the runic themed maps?

Also, you may have missed some others.

5 hours ago, complexDoomer said:

I participate in the project 

I do level 05

Since Walter claimed 05 first, I signed you up for 06 instead. Hope that's fine!

6 hours ago, Forli said:

I'm not sure if you missed my previous post so I'll say it again, can I claim one of the runic themed maps?

Also, you may have missed some others.

If I'm not actively updating it's probably because I'm asleep. Keep in mind that I live in mainland Europe so our timezones might be different!
You didn't mention a map number, but I guess I'll put your map in 24 then.

Note to everyone: if I missed your map slot request, please notify me so I can add it.
I sometimes read over things, I'm only human after all (or am I? :V).
I'm also open for DMs if you need me!

20 hours ago, plums said:

You just add them as things with pdqtex/boomqtex. Things 73-78 (hanging torsos) are used for ambient sounds.

Do you guys want a tutorial map that shows you how to use the resource pack properly? There's a lot more in it than just textures.

Slightly delayed reply here, but please do! I think it would help to really make our maps shine. I will add your tutorials to the OP.

I went over the thread and found 2 people not listed on the op.

On 3/16/2020 at 9:58 AM, DukeOfDoom said:

I'd take a base map.

On 3/16/2020 at 7:55 PM, whirledtsar said:

Id like to make a map for the medieval episode.

Also, id like to chime in that using death exits for custom episode lengths could be a good idea. Or perhaps each episode could start with a base map (like the original Quake's format). Because base is the least unique theme in quake, and might be less popular for mappers.

Oh, yeah I didn't add them because I was expecting a reply with a number. I guess I'll decide the number for them then.
Sorry about the confusion; this is my first community project. :)

Well I was thinking that it would be better to place the maps in order of difficulty after they were all made so I didn't say a number.

I guess it's a good idea to reserve the map slots so that not everyone tries to make maps that would be better for the start or the end, but you might still want to change some slots around later if the order ends up not making sense.

1 minute ago, Forli said:

Well I was thinking that it would be better to place the maps in order of difficulty after they were all made so I didn't say a number.

I guess it's a good idea to reserve the map slots so that not everyone tries to make maps that would be better for the start or the end, but you might still want to change some slots around later if the order ends up not making sense.

I agree that nothing is set in stone, but I think some mappers (myself included) might find it helpful to have at least an idea of the map order.

11 hours ago, Gez said:

For the Boom vs. ZDoom issue, I suggest a compromise: make a Boom episode with Boom maps playable in PrBoom+, and a ZDoom episode with ZDoom maps.

Each episode can be split into its own subepisodes based on theme (tech, medieval, runic, or whatever).

Sorry for the delayed reply here!

If this project turns out to be successful (as in, people enjoy it), we could always make a ZDoom exclusive sequel and base it purely around using ZDoom-isms to push for that signature Quake style. I think that would be a better idea than to split this project in half, personally.

I'm already very familiar with ZDoom editing so I would definitely be up for it when the time comes.

3 minutes ago, Morpheus666 said:

@Agentbromsnor Can Boom Support 3d floors?

Nope. I think it's fair to say that Boom format is pretty much vanilla Doom but limit removing and with some convenient features added.

28 minutes ago, Morpheus666 said:

@Agentbromsnor Can Boom Support 3d floors?

23 minutes ago, Agentbromsnor said:

Nope. I think it's fair to say that Boom format is pretty much vanilla Doom but limit removing and with some convenient features added.

Technically yes using silent teleporters.

2 hours ago, Agentbromsnor said:

Slightly delayed reply here, but please do! I think it would help to really make our maps shine. I will add your tutorials to the OP.

OK I'll try to get something soon. In the meantime you should link Urthar's post at the top of this page in the OP because that's covers most of it really.

I've officially decided that I'm not allowed to work on this map without listening to NIN... Need to be thematic about things...

Here's two screenshots of what I'm working on right now. This is still map12.

As you can (hopefully) tell, I'm trying my best to simulate a full 3D environment. It's still Doom so it's not going to be actually 3D, but it's about making it look and feel like it is. This is still very much a work in progress, of course!

The window lights in the second screenshot were done with action 213 (Change Floor Brightness).

qoom1.png

qoom2.png

I'm randomly interested in this.   May I perchance select m11? 

2 hours ago, dt_ said:

I'm randomly interested in this.   May I perchance select m11? 

Alright!

With that, there's 12 map slots left. Get one while you can, and don't forget that it's okay to take on two map slots if you're up for it!

I actually changed my mind. I want to see if I can pull off a quake map with boom limitations. I want Map30 if possible to close it all off.

3 minutes ago, DJVCardMaster said:

Any tutorial on Boom 3D fake bridges? just like vanilla ones but with Boom utilities. 

I found this one on the forum:

I don't think you can make 3D bridges like you would in ZDoom, but perhaps you can use some trickery to create a similar illusion in Boom format.