Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Agentbromsnor

Parallel Doomensions - Quake 1 Styled Community Megawad

42 minutes ago, onetruepurple said:

Hi. Never made a Doom map in my life but I reckon if I took a stab at it the results would be nice.

Would like to make a Runic map for this (any slot other than 29 should be great).

Here's my credentials in case you need them: https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/?filtered=onetruepurple

Oh, you're from the Quake community! That's cool, haha!

I'll sign you up. Doom editing should be a breeze for you if you're used to Quake. Regardless though, if you need any help with the tools (I recommend Ultimate Doom Builder) you can always PM me.

I thought of an idea for the final map of the WAD.

Perhaps we can have a situation similar to the Shub-Niggurath "fight" in Quake, where you have to telefrag the final boss. But instead of it being rather lame, you would have to frag a Shambler (perhaps multiple Shamblers?), similar to how you can telefrag the Cyberdemon in Romero's Perfect Hatred map in Ultimate Doom.

Is there any way to have MAP30 monsters not telefrag players on spawn? Or is it just not possible under Boom?

I'm also not a fan of that idea to end it all off with just telefragging a Shambler, or series of. But a mechanic like that could become a helpful element for the last fight that's for sure.

What if you fought Cthulhu himself? And he acts like the Mother Demon from Doom64, offering various attacks which the player has to dodge, The beginning offering waves on waves of enemies ranking from lowest tier to highest then if you beat all the waves you are teleported to fight Cthulhu himself.

But since this is Cthulhu we are discussing it would only be natural if the final Level took place in a Now Resurfaced R'lyeh, and your sole goal is to take him out.

(or at least put him to rest for the next million years)

Edited by Morpheus666

I don't think fighting Cthulhu is very Quake-like; let's keep it within the scope of Quake 1. :p

By the way: I'm not sure if this was clear or not, but if you finished your map please post it here using MediaFire so we can play-test them. We want our maps to be of high quality, after all.

1 hour ago, Agentbromsnor said:

I don't think fighting Cthulhu is very Quake-like

I feel this comment is a bit uninformed, considering the entire game has a lot of Lovecraftian influences from monsters to settings. More importantly the last boss is actually Shub-Niggurath, who is one of the "Old ones" similar to Cthulhu, as described in the Cthulhu mythos. So it would be very much Quake-like from a thematic point of view. Even the name of the first boss Chthon has a similar ring to it as Cthulhu, probably partly influenced by it.

I think it's more important to consider that boss fights in Doom are difficult to make satisfying with just Dehacked tricks. Not impossible, but I don't think a cosmic creature like Cthulhu (a massive humanoid dragon with an octopus face) could be re-created sufficiently well in Boom format.

If anyone does have a slightly out-of-the-box idea or inclination that may be on the boundary of the rules/intent, it probably wouldn't hurt to send a rev of your map to @Agentbromsnor. Sometimes expectations not being met can be pleasant surprises.

24 minutes ago, Aurelius said:

I feel this comment is a bit uninformed, considering the entire game has a lot of Lovecraftian influences from monsters to settings. More importantly the last boss is actually Shub-Niggurath, who is one of the "Old ones" similar to Cthulhu, as described in the Cthulhu mythos. So it would be very much Quake-like from a thematic point of view. Even the name of the first boss Chthon has a similar ring to it as Cthulhu, probably partly influenced by it.

I think it's more important to consider that boss fights in Doom are difficult to make satisfying with just Dehacked tricks. Not impossible, but I don't think a cosmic creature like Cthulhu (a massive humanoid dragon with an octopus face) could be re-created sufficiently well in Boom format.

I get that Quake is Lovecraftian, but this WAD is supposed to be Quake-styled, not Lovecraft-styled. I feel like that is an important distinction.

That being said; if you can make a Cthulhu boss design that looks and sounds the part (as in, it looks as if it could have come from Quake's universe) I might be swayed.

21 minutes ago, Agentbromsnor said:

I get that Quake is Lovecraftian, but this WAD is supposed to be Quake-styled, not Lovecraft-styled.

I mean.. not to get hung up on semantics here (which I totally am), if Quake has Lovecraftian influences and you want to make a Quake influenced mapset, then it will also have Lovecraftian influences by definition. I could draw up a Venn diagram to explain the situation but I'm sure you get the gist. I'm not saying forget all the other influences, I'm just saying that Cthulhu would not be out of place in Quake, being a creature from The Cthulhu mythos just like Shub-Niggurath. If you want people to do Quake-styled maps, you need to take into account what Quake is, not just what Quake is to you.

But, like I also said, I don't think as a boss character it would be a sensible choice for reasons I stated in my previous post, and I also feel that Cthulhu is a more higher profile representative of the Mythos than someone like Shub-Niggurath (and maybe today Lovecraftian stuff is more high profile in general compared to the 90s with all the board games and other stuff being released, but I could be wrong here), so in that sense it might take the stage a bit too much.

So what I'm saying is that the reason "Cthulhu is not very Quake-like" is not a good reason to exclude it (because it is Quake-like, though perhaps not you personally), but it does not mean it should be included. My vote is against including it, and if somebody wants to add a custom boss, I'd prefer something with less profile than mighty Cthulhu.

1 hour ago, Aurelius said:

There's so much wrong in this reply, but I'll focus on the main point - it would not be fitting or quakelike to have Cthulhu, the most mainstream and explicitly "Lovecraftian" mythos element as a final boss. Quake isn't Bloodborne. 

19 hours ago, Urthar said:

Regarding fake 3D stuff, there's quite a few midtextures in the pack for that kind of thing.

fClC8v3.jpg

The issue here is, you can't walk under the bridge, I wanted to make it possible for the player to go under, leaving me no option than to work with vanilla 3D bridges

2 minutes ago, DJVCardMaster said:

The issue here is, you can't walk under the bridge, I wanted to make it possible for the player to go under, leaving me no option than to work with vanilla 3D bridges

You can use silent teleporters + copy-and-paste layouts for that I think, creating the illusion that the player is actually walking under the bridge.

1 minute ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

You can use silent teleporters for that I think

image.png.c1985d1ae41dc364fa46a94010bb976c.png

This is my situation, I want to make that bridge work.

8 minutes ago, ValeriyPipick said:

How does it's going, guys? 

Going great here, thanks!

So far those are really nice tricks, but they work only on certain situations, so I had to try my best with brute force on Vanilla bridges, fortunately it's working!

image.png.a774bc2ccfe528fb9a72927ef2089b0b.png

That's cool! I'm glad you guys are pulling all the stops at trying to get these 3D tricks to work. I think that goes a long way to really hammer home that signature "3D" feel of Quake.

1 hour ago, onetruepurple said:

There's so much wrong in this reply, but I'll focus on the main point - it would not be fitting or quakelike to have Cthulhu, the most mainstream and explicitly "Lovecraftian" mythos element as a final boss. Quake isn't Bloodborne.

I am curious as to what exactly is "wrong" in the reply. In any case, I don't really see arguing this point further to do any good (considering that I have already agreed that Cthulhu wouldn't be a fitting boss that exact reason you stated, had you read my other post). But perhaps it's better to see how this project develops and make a decision later whether a boss would bring anything new to the table. Personally I don't see any reason there has to be a separate character for that. I mean, they (bosses) were widely regarded as the least interesting parts of the first Quake.

@TheNoob_Gamer, oh, yeah-yeah! That's the trick with silent teleports. Also, there are similar tricks with silent teleports and quick actions in Maskim Xul's Map 1 that can be used for reference.

I'm not saying that we actually need a final boss, but if we do, is there any reason why it can't just be Shub-Niggurath? 

I mean, it's not like what we're doing is a sequel to quake and Shub-Niggurath has already been defeated, and you can't find a more "quake-like" boss than that.

Pretty canon Quake runic look, neat metal combo at torch windows. @Forli
Excited for this project, since i loved mayhem16, and now especially with dehacked patch.