Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Agentbromsnor

Parallel Doomensions - Quake 1 Styled Community Megawad

@Agentbromsnor Are we supposed to make just a doom map with quake textures or emulate a quake map ( i e rooms around a central theme, like library, which gives way to the next theme, like outside) ?

Also FWIW I've been thinking about @Nine Inch Heels's comments about using ZDoom and have kind of changed my mind that ZDoom would be a bad idea for this project; I think the positives definitely have the potential to outweigh the negatives. I think my pessimism about using ZDoom came from comparing the potential outcome to other bad ZDoom projects I've played, which is not necessarily how it would turn out. However to do it well would require more active leadership than a Boom project, and Agentbromsnor has already made the call for Boom, so I'm not suggesting that changes.

15 minutes ago, NeedHealth said:

@Agentbromsnor Are we supposed to make just a doom map with quake textures or emulate a quake map ( i e rooms around a central theme, like library, which gives way to the next theme, like outside) ?

Try to emulate the vanilla Quake style as best as you can in Boom format.

Look for example at the different patterns on the floors and ceiling, lamps, etc.
As an example, the map I showed in the opening post (screenshot) incorporates a pattern on the ceiling that looks similar to one that you can find in Quake E1M6 (see attachment).

And yes, I think it would be nice if you could end your level with some type of teleporter or portal. That way it makes the transition between maps a bit more seamless and Quake-like.

EDIT: Updated the rules in the OP!

qqq.png

I likely won't be joining the project, but might I suggest using a source port that supports dynamic lighting and brightmaps, at least?

I'd prefer this project to remain boom compatible, as that is what I'm making and testing my map for. If it were to suddenly change it would not be the project I signed up for.

I see, so it's a bit more like an Afterglow concept I suppose, before there was such a thing as dynamic lighting, gotcha.

@NeedHealth, I like it so far! Maybe add some more angled walls to make it feel a little bit more organic? And don't forget to play around with different light sources!

Speaking of which: is there perhaps a way to port over Quake's signature torch by way of sprite replacement?
@Urthar, I found the sprite for the torch in your WAD starting with SMGTA0. Is it okay if we use that one? I assume you used DeHackEd for this?

7 minutes ago, Agentbromsnor said:

Speaking of which: is there perhaps a way to port over Quake's signature torch by way of sprite replacement?

I assume based on what Urthar has said, that everything in BOOMQTEX is OK to use. (Did you see my post with an updated resource pack on the previous page?)

edit: Short green torch (thing 56) is the quake wall torch. There are a bunch of other sprite replacements. And ambient sound effects, which are important for Quake's atmosphere.

Edited by plums

You just add them as things with pdqtex/boomqtex. Things 73-78 (hanging torsos) are used for ambient sounds.

Do you guys want a tutorial map that shows you how to use the resource pack properly? There's a lot more in it than just textures.

1 hour ago, plums said:

Here is version 1 of pdqtex.wad: pdqtex-01.zip

Currently there is very little difference from boomqtex.wad, but that will change soon.

• Skies work properly. E1 sky is the blue sky, E2 is the purple one, E3 is stars that kind of suck and could be improved. Assuming you're targeting PrBoom+ and ZDoom (or anything else that supports sky transfers) you can change the sky with a linedef 272 action -- there's a demo MAP01 that shows this, and scrolls the sky as well. This might be hard to figure out for some people so I can possibly make a template that you can just paste into your map.
  • ALL other Doom 2 textures besides skies don't work. They didn't work before, but now they super don't.
  • Black textures ALLBLACK and ALLBLAKF have been added. There were already some black textures but I added new ones to make sure they work properly, and so people don't think they can't use the old ones because they were called AVOID. I recommend using the new ones.
  • A new dummy texture called ADONTUSE exists. It looks bad on purpose. Don't use it.

Plans for the next version:

• Add bloodfalls from Doom 2, and other liquid wall textures based on Quake's liquid flats.
  • Add any other stock Doom 2 textures that are required. @Agentbromsnor let me know if there are others you want.
  • Add some more Quake textures that aren't in boomqtex.

Anything else needed?

Also Agentbromsnor, boomqtex (and now pdqtex) has some custom monsters, a replacement for the chaingun, etc. You should decide if you want to use these resources as well, or not.

@Urthar sorry I didn't realize the extent of the work you did when you first suggested this project use boomqtex, that's some top-notch work in there. How did you swirl the liquid flats? That's something I'd previously played around with a lot, but could never get a satisfactory result using 64px flats. These ones look great though.

pdqtex-01.zip

Just tested this out, and I'm glad to see this is compatible with BOOMQTEX. The sky is working too, although not animated (which I doubt is possible in Boom). I would definitely also like to see stylized bloodfalls and falls based on other liquids.

I will link this in the OP. Thanks a lot for your work!

^ All it is right now is BOOMQTEX with a few tweaks, 99% Urthar's work. But I'm planning to add a few more things to it.

Does the sky not move for you? 

1 minute ago, plums said:

^ All it is right now is BOOMQTEX with a few tweaks, 99% Urthar's work. But I'm planning to add a few more things to it.

Does the sky not move for you? 

No it doesn't move. Am I doing something wrong?

Wait, I meant the sky in my barebones MAP01 that is included with the resource pack scrolls. To make skies in your own map scroll, you have to do some trickery, but hopefully you can figure it out using my MAP01 as an example -- and if not I'll write some instructions tomorrow.

9 minutes ago, plums said:

Wait, I meant the sky in my barebones MAP01 that is included with the resource pack scrolls. To make skies in your own map scroll, you have to do some trickery, but hopefully you can figure it out using my MAP01 as an example -- and if not I'll write some instructions tomorrow.

Oh wow, that's actually a pretty cool trick I didn't know about. I'll definitely start using that, and I hope other mappers on the project will do the same!

Edit: Yep, it works beautifully now.

Thanks.

Edited by Agentbromsnor

5 minutes ago, plums said:

Oh wow, cool. Thanks for letting everyone know that you can make sky move in Boom :)

I'll look in the editor and see if I'm able to write a short guide :)

35 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Oh wow, cool. Thanks for letting everyone know that you can make sky move in Boom :)

To be clear, it won't work in normal Boom, only PrBoom+ because PrB+ supports MBF's sky transfers. ZDoom and other ports that support sky transfers should all work fine.

BTW changing the length and angle of the lines in the long box sector with change the scrolling speed and angle, respectively.

Just now, plums said:

To be clear, it won't work in normal Boom, only PrBoom+ because PrB+ supports MBF's sky transfers. ZDoom and other ports that support sky transfers should all work fine.

BTW changing the length and angle of the lines in the long box sector with change the scrolling speed and angle, respectively.

Personally, I think it should be fine if we include this. I think it's safe to say that we'll cover most of the player-base with PrBoom+ and ZDoom.

Oh for sure, I just wanted to clarify that it isn't strictly a Boom feature.

20 minutes ago, plums said:

Oh for sure, I just wanted to clarify that it isn't strictly a Boom feature.

So does this work in MBF too then? Just curious.

3 minutes ago, Agentbromsnor said:

It does, I just tested in woof to confirm.

So, here's the magik. I hope that @Agentbromsnor include this in the OP.

• Make a tagged sector with sky texture as the ceiling (duh)
  • Make a (recommended rectangle) dummy sector (this sector must be completely unreachable and unseeable - for noob mappers out there). 

Like @plums said, linedef length matters. The longer the line, the faster the sky moves, and vice versa. 1024x64 is recommended for a dummy sector.

example1.PNG.443452017ab867026d793a75a4a91d9e.PNG

• We will be focusing on 2 longer linedefs, which must have the same tag number as the sky sector. The action order matters AFAIK. doesn't really matter, since if you put the actions in reverse, the sky will simply moves in reverse.
  • Put action 254 in the upper linedef and action 272 in the lower. Explanation (hopefully) in the end of the post.
  • In the action 272 linedef, put whatever sky texture you want as the upper texture (front side).
  • Save the map.

Voila! Hope I got everything right.

EDIT: You can also change the angle of the dummy sector to change the direction the sky moves. So for example, if I make the sector look like this

Example2.PNG.28ce3ed340792bf70972e4abf1a86888.PNG

Then the sky will move upward in-game.

20 minutes ago, Agentbromsnor said:

Yes.

Spoiler

271/272 - Transfer Sky Texture to Tagged Sectors (unflipped - flipped respectively)- Putting the sky texture as the upper tex make the game renders that texture for the sky.

254 - Scroll Wall according to line vectors -  Scroll the wall. Since the tag links 1 sector and 2 linedef, both the linedef with action 254 and the sky roll according to linedef's length.

Edited by TheNoob_Gamer : Adding plums' wise words. Also, grammar.

8 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Voila! Hope I got everything right.

I think the only thing you left out is that you can change the angle of the dummy sector, to change the direction at which the sky moves. I used a plain horizontal scroll in my example, but an angle might be a closer approximation to how the Q1 skies look. Thanks!

edit: also that means that the only thing that will happen if you use 272 on the top linedef and 254 on the bottom is that the sky will scroll the other way.

20 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

So, here's the magik. I hope that @Agentbromsnor include this in the OP.

Added it to the OP now (and also the edited parts too). I edited a few things for clarity, hope that's okay.

Edited by Agentbromsnor

3 minutes ago, Agentbromsnor said:

Added it to the OP just now. I edited a few things for clarity, hope that's okay.

Thanks. Please add the missing bits I just edited, and also my screenshots for better illustration purposes.