Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SelacoDev

[RELEASE] Knee-deep in COVID-19

I think it´s hillarious, especially the tp rolls instead of first aid kits. I also understood this as an appeal to reason, not an incitement to irresponsible behaviour.

2 minutes ago, H0neyBe4r said:

I think it´s hillarious, especially the tp rolls instead of first aid kits. I also understood this as an appeal to reason, not an incitement to irresponsible behaviour.

Thank you! The mod constantly insults you for that reason, so its good that you caught up on that.

31 minutes ago, nexxtic28 said:

"I was hoping this was going to be Doomguy fighting the corona virus."

That would just make this play like Doom but with a corona virus skin. I chose this idea because it provides fun gameplay while complementing the virus setting.

I was thinking more along the lines of the complete opposite of what the mod currently is: Doomguy fighting hordes of infected people while fighting the corona virus and the virus continuing to spread and Doomguy having to pick up powerups to help prevent the spread further and ultimately vanquish the virus. But your idea is funner :).

24 minutes ago, Lizardcommando said:

Doomguy fighting hordes of infected people

but... we already have such game! it is called "Doom"...

5 hours ago, nexxtic28 said:

After seeing how Zdoom reacted to this, I know for sure that I am not going back to that place ever again.

Social distancing!

11 hours ago, Lizardcommando said:

I was hoping this was going to be Doomguy fighting the corona virus.

It's an interesting idea but I can see why some people would get offended. It would be neater if the player was occasionally coughing and the virus toss attack would play a sneezing sound effect to accompany it.

Maybe make some changes that do not directly reference this virus and maybe it'll garner some more positive reactions.

Sorry but even DOOMguy would be powerless. Guns would do jack shit. At best, he would need to use the sanitizer before touching any item or corpse. Tedious and stressful (you'd run out of sanitizer). 

I found this mod to be in bad taste at first glance and then veered more towards seeing it as an amusing satire/parody of some people's thoughtlessness as I watched the YouTube video, especially regarding the toilet rolls gag and the fairly realistic simulation of demons infecting each other.  It reminds me a bit of when many people got cheesed off by the vuvzelas at the World Cup and someone released a vuvzela weapon mod for Doom, though of course Covid-19 is a far bigger matter.  I've read the thread at ZDoom and think that there were maybe a few too many knee-jerk reactions as my "this is going too far" feelings certainly receded somewhat as I saw how the mod operated.

1 hour ago, ENEMY!!! said:

I've read the thread at ZDoom and think that there were maybe a few too many knee-jerk reactions

There were like two people who reacted negatively, and the one who made the OP swear off ZDoom.org forever pursued him here. :p

5 hours ago, Agentbromsnor said:

This should be interesting to play with a slaughter-map.

Indeed.

3 hours ago, ENEMY!!! said:

I found this mod to be in bad taste at first glance and then veered more towards seeing it as an amusing satire/parody of some people's thoughtlessness as I watched the YouTube video, especially regarding the toilet rolls gag and the fairly realistic simulation of demons infecting each other.  It reminds me a bit of when many people got cheesed off by the vuvzelas at the World Cup and someone released a vuvzela weapon mod for Doom, though of course Covid-19 is a far bigger matter.  I've read the thread at ZDoom and think that there were maybe a few too many knee-jerk reactions as my "this is going too far" feelings certainly receded somewhat as I saw how the mod operated.

You know, i now totally envision a mod where Doomguy chases off vuvuzela blowing Revenants who are chasing after toilet paper as they got infected from the Vuvuzela.

9 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

You know, i now totally envision a mod where Doomguy chases off vuvuzela blowing Revenants who are chasing after toilet paper as they got infected from the Vuvuzela.

Why not incorporate many other fads as well? Fad Crossover it shall be!

I have had some thoughts as to what some background details behind this mod could be, just for amusement:

The ideal way for the demons to beat the Doomguy, given that the Doomguy has COVID-19, would be to follow a set of rules like the following:

• No more than 2 demons in a group, and no more than 5 demons in any one room.
  • Demons must keep at least 2m distance from each other.  They may wander occasionally for exercise or to collect ammo, but preferably stay close to their guard posts, and not during a battle with the Doomguy. 

This would be a suicidal strategy if the Doomguy had guns, but given that the Doomguy is using COVID-19 as the weapon, the Doomguy would keep losing 15 COVID-19 points infecting individual demons while getting shot down by the two or three snipers at the far end of the room.  But no... naturally, the demons instead act rather like the groups of humans in real life who wander aimlessly around public attractions in large groups and infect each other, as well as leaving the odd toilet roll lying around.  I suppose if the demons have stockpiled an average of 2400 toilet rolls each, leaving one here and there won't be such a big deal.

Given that the Doomguy has COVID-19, and that the demons are idiots, it may as well be put to good use to kill the demons, but after the Doomguy completes Knee Deep in COVID-19 the Doomguy will have to self-isolate for 14 days and the UAC bases will also have to be quarantined for 14 days while the virus fades from the demons' decaying bodies.  Of course, in an ideal world the Doomguy would rather go around Mars killing the virus, but this isn't an ideal world.  At least by fending off the demon invasion the Doomguy is helping the human inhabitants of Mars to focus their efforts entirely on developing a vaccine in the meantime.

Funny thing: I was searching if there are any updates to this mod and I found an article titled "Knee-deep in Covid-19, our hospitals need steady supplies of PPEs, sanitisers and adequate staff":

https://www.dawn.com/news/1544729

It was published only a few hours ago by a Pakistani journalist. I wonder if she ever played Doom...

1 hour ago, Caleb13 said:

Funny thing: I was searching if there are any updates to this mod and I found an article titled "Knee-deep in Covid-19, our hospitals need steady supplies of PPEs, sanitisers and adequate staff":

https://www.dawn.com/news/1544729

It was published only a few hours ago by a Pakistani journalist. I wonder if she ever played Doom...

A friend send me that link as well! That's an hilarious coincidence.

I got an error when trying to load the file with ZDoom and GZDoom:

Script error, "Knee-deep in COVID-19.pk3:decorate.txt" line 6:
Expected ')', got ','.

10 hours ago, Lingyan203 said:

I got an error when trying to load the file with ZDoom and GZDoom:

Script error, "Knee-deep in COVID-19.pk3:decorate.txt" line 6:
Expected ')', got ','.

Seems like your Doom folder got infected with Covid-19. ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯

9 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Seems like your Doom folder got infected with Covid-19. ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯

hahahaha good one! :D

2 hours ago, Lingyan203 said:

Which version of GZDoom is required?

dunno, i am not using GZDoom. but the error indicates that the mod needs GZDoom with support for "damage type" argument, which wasn't there from the start. sadly, zdoom wiki doesn't track versions in which action functions were extended. i simply know that because i am the dev of another sourceport, and mine didn't had that argument too.