Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GaMryous

Doom is Eternal but what about Classic Doom?

I am actually worried that what if the Classic DooM community will perish. There are a lot of games out there that the majority prefers to play so what will happen to DooM by then? Most people would usually play on what is trending on the media, so how will Classic Doom be noticed? There is DooM Eternal which is a good thing because it could bring new people to play the classic DooM. 

I am 15 and the only reason why I got into DooM was because I had shitty hardware that I resorted to old games so I asked the Half Life community to recommend me some games for my shitty PC. Some of those 100 replies was DooM. I didn't get into it immediately because I thought it would suck because of its age and detail but I was wrong. Brutal DooM convinced me to play it. I was so astonished by the mod that I tried playing it on vanilla and it was still pretty awesome!

There are a lot of mods that is keeping the game spirit alive but how are we gonna convince the younger generations to play DooM ? Also, future gamers may not end up with crappy hardware so it is nearly impossible they will have to resort to playing compatible games one of which is DooM. Am I going to have to tell my future children that this is what we played back then?

Edited by GaMryous

For how long the Doom community still stands today after 25 years, i don't really think Classic Doom it's going down.

Bethesda also ported the Classic Doom 1 2, they Expansions, Some PWADS, and now it's coming Doom 64.

More people that before 2016 it's playing Doom Clasic in a way or other. And it's really help the mod and open source community to bring more juice to the game, so worry not GaMryous, we going to live forever.

This community is proof of just how into Doom people still are. Not sure what's going to happen when those who enjoyed it in the 90s are gone, but that's a long time from now.

6 minutes ago, noisebloom said:

This community is proof of just how into Doom people still are. Not sure what's going to happen when those who enjoyed it in the 90s are gone, but that's a long time from now.

Four and a half billion years from now, when the sun exhausts its fuel and swells to engulf the earth, Doom will still be out there, traveling four and a half billion years. That is, if it’s not intercepted first. Imagine for a moment, if another civilization out there were to discover this, they would think "what a wonderful place the earth must be."

With the lore developments in Eternal, I’m certain classic Doom won’t ever be forgotten since they clearly aren’t trying to assume they didn’t exist. Lots of things they are doing are direct homages to the work the original team did.

Hell, you can supposed play the classic inside of eternal after finding collectibles.

4 hours ago, User Name said:

Four and a half billion years from now, when the sun exhausts its fuel and swells to engulf the earth, Doom will still be out there, traveling four and a half billion years. That is, if it’s not intercepted first. Imagine for a moment, if another civilization out there were to discover this, they would think "what a wonderful place the earth must be."

I can actually imagine a scenario where in the far future, some derelict interstellar cruiser piloted by extinct humans millennia ago is intercepted by aliens, and when they board it and power it back on the first thing they see is a copy of Doom 2 running on the holodeck because some engineer got bored and ported it.

OP should be more worried about mankind avoiding extinction in the next 100 to 200 years due to global warming. That's far more likely than classic Doom dying.

5 hours ago, User Name said:

It wouldn't be surprising if in the far future when the only remaining astronomical objects are supermassive black holes, a rather small ship orbiting very close to one of those, feeding off it's haking radiation while also harnessing it's gravitational energy, inside such an advanced ship that has enough computing power to simulate trillions of minds, there would be at least one of them playing Doom.

Classic Doom didn't die when 3 came out, didn't die when Brutal Doom had fans wishing classic was brutal, didn't die when D16 had snapmap which had the POTENTIAL to kill Classic, it will not die when Eternal comes I guarantee you.

12 hours ago, GaMryous said:

I am actually worried that what if the Classic DooM community will perish.

If only I had a dollar for every time I’ve heard this over the years. Classic Doom is riding a peak of popularity compared to 10 years ago or so.

Classic Doom has both the biggest fan project backlog and most accessible modding of basically any video game. At this point, it will never die. Not 100%.

Doom is not going to die anytime soon.

With constant new entries in the series, re-releases of the classics, a plethora of mods and ports, and a community that is growing, not shrinking, yeah, Doom is alive and well 27 years later, and it was a lot closer to dying some 10+ years ago than it is now, and it survived. It survived the first full 3D games, the Build engine games, Doom 3, Doom 2016, and will definitely survive Eternal.

I mean Doom 2016 came by and Classic Doom didn't perish over it. In fact, it brought Eviternity, for one.

Classic Doom has been lasting for 25+ years, i don't see how a new Doom release would suddenly kill it off.

Especially when Doom 2016 and Doom 3 didn't kill it off to begin with.

Judging by how many "my first WADs" I've seen in the forums as of late, I don't think classic Doom, and its modding community specifically, are going anywhere, anytime in my or your lifetime. There's actually a forum topic that polls the age of the userbase on DW, and a pretty significant number (including myself) weren't even born when Doom 2 came out. Hell, I didn't even play classic Doom until 2016.

Edit: Wanted to note that I have found evidence that I actually started playing Doom in 2014, I didn't post here until 2016, however.

Edited by Egg Boy

Classic Doom ain't goin nowheres. It'll always be pretty niche, but that's a good thing in my opinion.

22 hours ago, GaMryous said:

I am actually worried that what if the Classic DooM community will perish. There are a lot of games out there that the majority prefers to play so what will happen to DooM by then? Most people would usually play on what is trending on the media, so how will Classic Doom be noticed? There is DooM Eternal which is a good thing because it could bring new people to play the classic DooM. 

I am 15 and the only reason why I got into DooM was because I had shitty hardware that I resorted to old games so I asked the Half Life community to recommend me some games for my shitty PC. Some of those 100 replies was DooM. I didn't get into it immediately because I thought it would suck because of its age and detail but I was wrong. Brutal DooM convinced me to play it. I was so astonished by the mod that I tried playing it on vanilla and it was still pretty awesome!

There are a lot of mods that is keeping the game spirit alive but how are we gonna convince the younger generations to play DooM ? Also, future gamers may not end up with crappy hardware so it is nearly impossible they will have to resort to playing compatible games one of which is DooM. Am I going to have to tell my future children that this is what we played back then?

ETERNAL FOREVER. EVEN AFTER WE ARE REDUCED TO BONES IN THE GROUND, THE GAME WILL LIVE ON STRONGER, IT WILL BE REGARDED AS A HOLY MONUMENT IN HUMANITY.

It is an interesting point about future kids not having to deal with crappy computers so they resort to older games. I started with Quake and only recently have played OG DooM all the way through (Which can be found on the pawpawplays youtube channel). Not sure if I would have had the same appreciation for DooM if it wasn't for me playing Quake over and over on an old laptop back in the day. I'm sure it'll stay alive with the new games and modding community for many more years to come

1 hour ago, pawpaw said:

It is an interesting point about future kids not having to deal with crappy computers so they resort to older games. I started with Quake and only recently have played OG DooM all the way through (Which can be found on the pawpawplays youtube channel). Not sure if I would have had the same appreciation for DooM if it wasn't for me playing Quake over and over on an old laptop back in the day. I'm sure it'll stay alive with the new games and modding community for many more years to come

I played Quake first, hell, I played and mapped for Unreal Tournament 2004 even before that. So I don't think limited hardware is what attracted me to Doom. I think its more about the ease of modding and access we have to the game through source-ports, and WAD editing tools. Of course, my specific instance isn't a shared experience, so perhaps I'm wrong. Also Doom has a considerably larger community than any other retro shooter.

I'm pretty sure that people who lived the 90s and early 2000s will carry out Classic Doom to the grave with them. After that there's too much of a generational gap for new gamers to back to. That's just my estimate. It's always nice to get young players still checking it out so maybe that lack of hardware will always make ppl go back to it.

Personally, Doom Eternal looks amazing, but the Classic Dooms (Doom 64 included) are irreplaceable for me. Those are games I can boot up and blast through any time of the day regardless of my mood.

If I can get a better PC to play Eternal within my lifetime, I will enjoy it very very much, but I can see myself not always being in the right mindset for "combat puzzles".

I'm just happy in general with the state of Doom as a franchise, more now than ever. It feels like no game in the series has ever really "sucked". Even Doom 3 at worse was boring, and VFR is whatever, I'm probably just not sold on the gimmick. Point is, there's something for everyone: Retro, Horror, Retro AND Horror, and two modern takes that go balls to the wall with the action.

7 hours ago, SamuelMTEvander said:

I'm pretty sure that people who lived the 90s and early 2000s will carry out Classic Doom to the grave with them. After that there's too much of a generational gap for new gamers to back to. That's just my estimate. It's always nice to get young players still checking it out so maybe that lack of hardware will always make ppl go back to it.

Back in 2013 I met some cool younger fellows at work. They were 16 at the time. I was stunned that they had never heard of Doom, but they pretty much fell in love with it after just a handful of deathmatches. One of them has a younger brother who was 12 at the time (so, born in 2001) and he loved it even more, so much so that it got him started with learning about programming and game design.

The point is, great games seem to transcend generations, like any great art. The NES is older than I am and yet it’s one of my favorite consoles because it has a lot of games that are timeless fun which have yet to be ‘replaced’.

I think of it this way: If ever there comes a day where the original Super Mario Bros. suddenly stops selling and being ultra-popular despite being 35 years old, that’s the same day I’ll finally believe in the possibility that Doom may also die. Considering the greatest games simply refuse to leave the cultural zeitgeist though - regardless of their age - I will be seriously stunned if people stop playing Doom until society as we know it either collapses or changes fundamentally.

Good art is just transcendent like that!

Edited by Doomkid

Doom 1/2 is arguable one of the most important games of all time and the community is still very active: new content including custom map sets, updates to sourceports, new and updating mods, and new records being set in categories like UV-Max or UV-Speed.

Hell, it was just recently that secrets previously deemed unobtainable have been figured out like in Doom 2's 15th map 'Industrial Zone' by using a Pain Elemental or the new speed running strategy of using the Arch-Vile ("Barney") to open the red skull key exit door in the 27th map 'Monster Condo'.

I haven't checked out any other forms of online Doom gameplay other than Zandronum/Doomseeker but even with just that small sample there's always active players when even some relatively new games' online communities are dead. I usually prefer vanilla gameplay but  when playing online there are some fantastic mods like Shotgun Frenzy or Master of Puppets.

You can thank Doom (at least to some extent) for: popularizing PC gaming, speed running, the FPS genre, online gameplay, E-Sports, the shareware model, Valve Software and subsequently Steam, DirectX and subsequently XBox, and more.

It kinda irks me that typical gamers are obsessed with games like the Mario and Zelda franchises when Doomguy is the true harbinger of gaming. To me those were average games even for their time. I think simple exposure has a lot to do with it.

For me Doom is like chess meets golf course. What I mean by "chess" is that there is a high level of clarity in the aesthetics and roles of monsters, weapons, and the tactics needed. You can immediately assess a room with a quick glance or even by audio alone. Despite RNG, there's still an "envelope" that is clear and superior players can easily overcome any "randomness" as a result (looking at you Karl Jobst). What I mean by "golf" is that maps are like "courses". Depending on your skill level, you have to learn these maps and develop strategy while the tactics one learns and masters stay relatively the same.

All art is defined by its limitations and great art transcends those limitations. On its surface Doom may seem quite simple, but it is truly a masterpiece that will always stay relevant.

Edited by DOEL