Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zayJax

Bethesda's PC Remasters are great! But what about Steam and GOG?

Really hoping Bethesda brings the new Doom releases to Steam. I'm curious to see how well it holds up with Steam's Remote Play, I'd love to take advantage of its local multiplayer for some super-simple online co-op.

If they do, they should have them as separate from the Dosbox setups they had before. The current GOG/Steam downloads are more or less the 1.9 IWADS (with the exception of Final Doom on GOG, which was the Id Anthology versions), and if they don't make the new release a separate download, said original IWADS will be lost.

Even if the Dosbox setups were kept, we might be in a position where the iwads are replaced with the Dosbox iwads of the Bethesda store, which would again result in the loss of the 1.9 iwads.

I don't think this was mentioned but the steam release has the red crosses. Can't think of much other than that.

If this is referring to the Slayers Collection versions it looks like they didn't even get the picture aspect ratio right this time, so ehh. (not real widescreen, everything is just stretched sideways, and it doesn't even fill a whole 16:9 screen regardless, they should have just stuck to 4:3 if they can't do proper widescreen)

Generally the official rereleases of the classic Doom games haven't been that good (picture too bright, ssg sound effect broken, music too slow and other little annoyances, IIRC they even managed to have some framerate issues on PS3 on a game that was years old at that point but I would need to go back to check the PS3 ports to be sure and I don't even have a working unit anymore), though I get the appeal of splitscreen multiplayer which they have offered and NR4TL is a nice episode.

edit: ahh just read the wiki page and seems it's been updated to correct some of the problems, haven't really followed things and was going by a video youtube offered me, still wouldn't swap my source ports and dosbox for that

Edited by xttl

I'm honestly fine with DOSBox. It's the most faithful to the game as it was released, even moreso than Chocoloate, and it's also the most basic and barren, which makes it easier to go out and find a source port of your own. I think the ideal situation would be like Shadow Warrior: the DOSBox version for cheaper, and then a more advanced, modern port for a higher price.

On 3/23/2020 at 9:14 AM, xttl said:

edit: ahh just read the wiki page and seems it's been updated to correct some of the problems, haven't really followed things and was going by a video youtube offered me, still wouldn't swap my source ports and dosbox for that

Yes, these issues have been corrected and more are on the way as it is still being updated. Nightmare finally getting fixed is on sponge's list for instance.

On 3/23/2020 at 9:46 PM, Pokemanic33 said:

the DOSBox version for cheaper, and then a more advanced, modern port for a higher price.

The original DOS version is now free. Only Redux is still paid for - and comes with some fixes and improvements such as widescreen-friendly sprites and the original CD music in .OGG format.

2 hours ago, seed said:

The original DOS version is now free. Only Redux is still paid for - and comes with some fixes and improvements such as widescreen-friendly sprites and the original CD music in .OGG format.

I know that, but I chose to use the "cheaper" phrasing because just giving away Doom wads probably isn't a good idea. So it works for Shadow Warrior to be free, but not as much Doom.