Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Captain Red

Source port only features

deathz0r said:
you can do always run with doom2.exe. it involves messing with default.cfg.

I know. but some people class it as cheating. (since you can make yourself run very fast)

BTW this is for Single player only.

didn't doom have some degree of autoaim anyway? well I use always run, crosshairs, jump (but rarely use it) and weapon cycle. the other stuff I couldn't care less about.

Yes Doom did have autoaim. I usually have a crosshair, mouselook and always run on. I usually have jumping on too, but never actually jump unless the level is made to cater for jumping (which isn't the question anyway).

Ct_red_pants said:

I know. but some people class it as cheating. (since you can make yourself run very fast)

BTW this is for Single player only.

doh?

Linguica said:
Doom always has had always-run, quicksave, and autoaim.

I already explained always run.
Buy quicksave, I meant a single button the you tap without going into a menu. and with auto aim,
I wanted to see how many people use both autoaim and mouse look. I guess I should have explained myself better.

I heard of quicksave now for the first time :) I never use jump to get to places you normally wouldn't be able to reach, but I always jump when walking on slime/lava. I guess i'm a cheater :) I always use mouselook.

Regarding autoaim, the new option that many source ports provide is the possibility of turning it off.

I always use the mousewheel to change weapons. ZdoomGl doesn't have that option so I would never play with it, even if I didn't get framerate problems in it :)

Grazza said:

Regarding autoaim, the new option that many source ports provide is the possibility of turning it off.

Yup, the option should be "no-autoaim." Fitting along with all the other deformities.

Just thinking, Aren't source ports cheating even if you didn't use any of the special features: you can walk over and under the monsters, unlike in original Doom exes. A major difference in gameplay I think.

DooMer 4ever said:
Just thinking, Aren't source ports cheating even if you didn't use any of the special features: you can walk over and under the monsters, unlike in original Doom exes. A major difference in gameplay I think.

Most source port have an option to turn off true 3D mode.

Boom, prboom and such don't have that feature, but yeah, the gameplay is altered pretty much by that feature in most of the advanced engines.

Ct_red_pants said:

Most source port have an option to turn off true 3D mode.

I'm not sure if any do have that option. Legacy and zdoom do not, as far as I know. You can turn off jumping and mouselook, but not the fact that things can be over each other, as well as any possible slight side effects of the augmented clipping code.

Mouselook, jumping, always run, infinite ammo (ZDoom), and uh, that's it.

It may be, but I hate running out of ammo when playing Hell Revealed 2 :P

Look up/down is missing. I'm using prboom with "mouselook" but since you can't see up/down it moves forward/backward. (which you can disable by setting the vertical mouse sensivity to 0)

I run doom and doom2 without vertical sensitivity, by using Istvan Pataki's Novert. Some mouse drivers can do the same, and there's at least one other app capable of it, too.

I use mouselook, crosshairs and always run, with autoaim off.

Ever since I played quake, I longed for the day that I could use mouse look in doom. And the first time I played legacy and used mouselook... it was like all my Christmases had come at once! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! id for releasing the source code! And thank you! Thank you! Thank you! To all the people who put the time and effort into making these fantastic source ports! I can guarantee you; if it weren’t for them, I would have stopped playing doom years ago.

In Ct_red_pants's post above, replace "Quake" with "Half-Life" and "Legacy" with "Zdoom", and that more or less exactly sums up my thoughts.

I did that for a while, during '99 and '00, using both those engines, 1st legacy, then zdoom, but I then felt it ruined the game, generally slowing it down, so I said "buh bye."