Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hydroact

Crucible Gameplay

Title says (unlimited ammo) which leads me to believe that it requires fuel to work like the chainsaw

14 minutes ago, Hydroact said:

Title says (unlimited ammo) which leads me to believe that it requires fuel to work like the chainsaw

It does. It has three charges (I'm not sure exactly what is used as an ammo pickup for it). Each demon, regardless of size, takes one charge. You can see this on the HUD in the middle of the screen.

13 minutes ago, igg said:

Crucible or Unmaker?

"Epic crucible sword gameplay"

Hmmm. I wonder what this could be referring to...

6 minutes ago, Mortrixs19 said:

A bit disappointing though, the crucible seems to be chainsaw 2

It is very similar, with a few notable differences:

1. The chainsaw is more of a resource tool, whereas the Crucible is more of an "oh shit" button for a single demon that is giving you trouble.
  2. The Crucible has three charges, and every demon requires one charge, regardless of size, unlike the chainsaw, which requires more fuel for bigger demons.
  3. Overall, it seems to function more like a BFG for a single demon, instead of the whole room. 

23 minutes ago, Hydroact said:

"Epic crucible sword gameplay"

Hmmm. I wonder what this could be referring to...

1. The video was not uploaded by Bethesda.

2. During the Quakecon reveal someone from id Software said the energy sword shown in the trailer is not the Crucible. 

Just now, igg said:

1. The video was not uploaded by Bethesda.

2. During the Quakecon reveal someone from id Software said the energy sword shown in the trailer is not the Crucible. 

Trust me, it's the Crucible. I've seen the Unmayker in use. It functions more like a laser/energy projectile weapon.

Just now, Phobos Anomaly said:

Trust me, it's the Crucible. I've seen the Unmayker in use. 

Maybe I was wrong with the name but according to Hugo Martin Doom Eternal has a energy sword which is not the Crucible from Doom 2016: 

But maybe it is - I was just curious whether the video actually shows the Crucible or the unnamed energy sword from the Quakecon reveal?

1 minute ago, igg said:

Maybe I was wrong with the name but according to Hugo Martin Doom Eternal has a energy sword which is not the Crucible from Doom 2016: 

But maybe it is - I was just curious whether the video actually shows the Crucible or the unnamed energy sword from the Quakecon reveal?

What he's saying is that it is a Crucible, it's just not the same Crucible that Samuel Hayden took at the end of DOOM 2016. "Crucible" just seems to be a general term for those argent energy swords.

38 minutes ago, Phobos Anomaly said:

What he's saying is that it is a Crucible, it's just not the same Crucible that Samuel Hayden took at the end of DOOM 2016.

Thanks for the explanation! For me "Crucible" always referred to the sword from Doom 2016, which seems to be something special for the Doom Slayer (Samuel introduced it with the words "it bears your mark"). So my initial question should be altered to "A crucible or the crucible?".

Eh, the visual design of the sword is pretty kickass but the mechanic being a simple one-hit kill slash is disappointing. It just doesnt look satisfying since it doesnt take any effort and the enemies go down so quick.

41 minutes ago, igg said:

Thanks for the explanation! For me "Crucible" always referred to the sword from Doom 2016, which seems to be something special for the Doom Slayer (Samuel introduced it with the words "it bears your mark"). So my initial question should be altered to "A crucible or the crucible?".

No problem! When Samuel Hayden said "It bears your mark", he was actually referring to the Helix Stone:

4 hours ago, whirledtsar said:

Eh, the visual design of the sword is pretty kickass but the mechanic being a simple one-hit kill slash is disappointing. It just doesnt look satisfying since it doesnt take any effort and the enemies go down so quick.

Well I mean... what else did you expect it to do? If it was anything less, the rest of the Slayers kit would overshadow it.

The main perk is it can one-shot super heavies, which the chainsaw can not do anymore so it still has a solid place. I think of it more as a portable Beserk you can use anytime that is on 3 charges.

Edited by oCrapaCreeper

Just now, oCrapaCreeper said:

Well I mean... what else did you expect it to do? If it was anything less, the rest of the Slayers kit would overshadow it.

Yeah, honestly there is only so much you can do with power weapons, especially a sword type one.

All that slicing and dicing looks satisfying to me. It will be especially nice to have for those really pesky baddies who will make your life a living hell.