Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Brian Reilly jr.

For those who've played any form of Doom 64, what is your favorite map?

I'd like to know for the people that played at least one form of Doom 64 (TC, EX, etc), what your favorite map is. For me personally, it drives me crazy to pick a favorite because of how I think Doom 64 has some of the best and/or most creative level design in the series. I know this is very short, but I'd just like to know your guys' inputs mainly for the fact that I'm happy Doom 64 is getting officially re-released with a brand new set of cool maps to go with it

Some of my favorites include

• Research Lab
  • Altar of Pain
  • Dark Citadel
  • Blood Keep
  • Spawned Fear
  • In the Void
  • Breakdown
  • Burnt Offerings

Even Simpler, a simple level based on Dead Simple from Doom 2 that later appeared in Doom 2016.

Next one is Dark Citadel from the Brutal Doom 64 because of its hanging guys screaming and crying, too macabre... But the bad thing is its purple sky that makes it suck, I prefer the starry one as the original. 

In the Void, Burnt Offerings, Altair of Pain, The Spiral, Breakdown.

18 minutes ago, seed said:

In the Void, Burnt Offerings, Altair of Pain, The Spiral, Breakdown.

Breakdown is the only creepiest/freak out map I rush through, I wonder with the remake if it will lose some of that due to the lighting being brighter? 

It'll be great to play through D64 with headphones for the first time though! 😱

The first version I played was the Doom 64: Absolution TC. And my favourite level was map07: Nukage Facility.

I only learned later that it was actually one of the custom levels by Kaiser.

My favourite original levels are Altar of Pain and Dark Citadel.

Edited by Tetzlaff

24 minutes ago, Swordofdanu said:

the lighting being brighter? 

Lighting is intact, you will have options to adjust it in-game.

As for me, I've never made considerable progress in Doom 64 due to various reasons, but currently Staging Area and Even Simpler are my favourites.

Great question! Doom 64 is my favourite game from the series and I just can’t choose one! I have fond memories of these maps.

Alpha Quadrant

Final Outpost

Altar of Pain

Dark Citadel

Watch Your Step

Spawned Fear

Pitfalls

Burnt Offerings

14 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Lighting is intact, you will have options to adjust it in-game.

As for me, I've never made considerable progress in Doom 64 due to various reasons, but currently Staging Area and Even Simpler are my favourites.

So it will be set to default settings (64) first you think? Hope you get to make some more progress! 

Just now, Swordofdanu said:

So it will be set to default settings (64) first you think? Hope you get to make some more progress! 

When the game is released on Steam, I hope so :D

On 3/19/2020 at 12:53 AM, Nevander said:

Some of my favorites include

• Research Lab
  • Altar of Pain
  • Dark Citadel
  • Blood Keep
  • Spawned Fear
  • In the Void
  • Breakdown
  • Burnt Offerings

Exactly what I mean by how I can't choose a favorite. Maybe besides Dark Entries, all the maps from start to finish are really well-thought out design-wise. If I tried making a list of my some of my favorites, they would be

• Outpost Omega
  • Even Simpler
  • Altar of Pain
  • Dark Citadel
  • Eye of the Storm
  • Watch Your Step
  • In The Void
  • The Spiral

1 hour ago, Brian Reilly jr. said:

Exactly what I mean by how I can't choose a favorite.

Honestly choosing one single favorite is just silly. Love as many as you want.

It's impossible for me to pick one, I love many of the levels of this game. Most of the levels are great, but these stick out to me. 

• Alpha Quadrant - The "stuff just got real" map. Barons are introduced and it has probably my favorite music track of the game. The room with the high pillars and pitch black area down below with Spectures is one of the most memorable and frightening areas of a level in the game. Those who have played it know what I'm talking about. 

• Final Outpost - The music is also scary as hell in this level, as you are so close to reaching hell. Some memorable rooms too, especially the final segment with the Baron/Hell Knight ambush. 

• The Terraformer - Watching the pillars pound into the ground to open a new area of the level is one of the coolest moments in Doom 64 early on that lets you know how advanced this game is. I love the black hallway with the red lighting and then lowering you down into a pit to get the chaingun and fight pinkies. Fantastic level all around, even the bit with the crushers. 

• Even Simpler - Dead Simple but much harder and more fun to play. 

• Alter of Pain - Atmospheric level with demonic babies crying in the distance, has a secret exit to my favorite secret level. The sky with lightning effects is quite memorable, along with the Unmaker room. 

• Eye of the Storm - Another great level

• Watch Your Step - Quite possibly my favorite level in the game and a real challenge to do via pistol start. The end with the 2 Cyberdemon fight is just what I crave from this game. Fog effects are used to an effective degree too. 

• Pitfalls - This level has always frightened me since I was young. It feels a bit like 'The Living End' from Doom 2, but has the hallway section that opens into what looks to be some sort of gothic cathedral for worshiping demons. 

• Unholy Temple - Memorable level in it's own right, almost feels like two separate levels in one. 

• No Escape - A real Cyberdemon fight, this game's version of the Tower of Babel level and on WMD difficulty, you can fight 3 of them. 

My top 10 would be

1-Into the void-the vibes, the feeling of being somewhere purely mystical, almost heavenly in a demonic sense, the endless nothingness to look out upon.

2-Dark citadel-creepy to the core, some epic moments and good exploration

3-Dark entries-simple but effective, puzzles, massive battles and some really iconic rooms.

4-The terraformer- the red lights then the blue glow, this like all level 2's in doom games be an instant highlight and a good taste of things to come

5-Watch your step- it really feels like hell.

6-Cat and mouse-in my opinion the best boss map ever in doom history, i feel this should of been in the main compaign.

7-The lair-short but each area has a vibe, and that music suits it so well, the purple sky texture is so prominent in this aswell.

8-Tech centre-felt it had a bit of everything that made the first few levels great, good exploration and satisfying to get throu.

9-Alpha quadrant- theres a certain desolate mood this base has, its not creepy per say but somewhat unsettling in its baron tone.

10-breakdown- i like the way the map changes within the progress of playing it, not the best map in the game by any strectch but i find it has some genuine engaging moments throughout.

On 3/19/2020 at 9:11 AM, Gerardo194 said:

Next one is Dark Citadel from the Brutal Doom 64 because of its hanging guys screaming and crying, too macabre... But the bad thing is its purple sky that makes it suck, I prefer the starry one as the original. 

Thanks for mentioning it, I started playing the Brutal Doom 64 based on your recommendation and so far I really like their take on the game.

I normally avoid Brutal Doom because I don't like their concept of over the top gore and splatter, but was pleasantly surprised that you can tone the gore down in the options.

I like the changes they made to Doom 64, like the stealthy Nightmare Imp and the weapon reload animations. Some things need work, like the Revenant. Also some rooms are re-interpreted in an interesting way. The maze in Final Outpost now is an office area with chairs and desks and it feels like an actual place now, not like a random maze.

In The Void has always been my favorite, I really love its atmosphere and how it looks, and its gameplay is well thought out too, that Pain Elemental ambush in the wide openness of the map after you grab the Demon Key is perhaps the most tense moment in the game.

Outpost Omega, Final Outpost, Dark Citadel, Watch Your Step, Unholy Temple, and No Escape are the other top tier maps for me. Breakdown also gets a mention for being up there with In The Void for creepiest atmosphere in the game, it just gets brought down though by its enemy usage being too light and easy for the point of the game it's at, and the level over-arming you for what you fight in it.

Even Simpler, it is the one map I remember best from the game, and overall, I find it as an upgrade to Dead Simple.

Played through it the other day, currently working through the lost levels which I have to say have been very good. 

But of the main campaign I'd probably say Altar of Pain, No Escape, Burnt Offerings and pitfalls were my favourites. 

On 3/19/2020 at 4:11 AM, Gerardo194 said:

Even Simpler, a simple level based on Dead Simple from Doom 2 that later appeared in Doom 2016.

what do you mean it later appeared in Doom 2016? Even Simpler did? like the area where it takes place? if so, what level is that in?

10 hours ago, LucidLocomotive said:

what do you mean it later appeared in Doom 2016? Even Simpler did? like the area where it takes place? if so, what level is that in?

Necropolis

12 hours ago, Gerardo194 said:

Necropolis

so canonically necropolis is the place where even simpler took place in doom 64? if so then that is AWESOME

13 hours ago, LucidLocomotive said:

so canonically necropolis is the place where even simpler took place in doom 64? if so then that is AWESOME

No, actually no. That's not confirmed yet... 

Any crazy idea?? 

21 hours ago, Gerardo194 said:

No, actually no. That's not confirmed yet... 

Any crazy idea?? 

well I am the resident crazy ideas gUy here so I’ll get on that asap!

since it says any form, I'll have to go with the first level of the lost levels. it doesn't feel like DOOM to me, but it feels like an entire new FPS. it's pretty cool!