Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
snapshot

Favorite Video Game Genres

What genres are you into or really like when it comes to video games? (subgenres also count)

Metroidvanias (Hollow Knight, Axiom verge, Enviromental station Alpha), turn-based strategies (X-com Terror from the deep, Civilization V, X-piratez), visual novels. Old Doom is the only shooter I consider as worthy of playing, ha.

FPS, Beat em up, RTS and RPG mainly.

Ideally, with a touch of unrealism (i.e no sim's or sports games for me, though I have ended up with a few over the years).

Shmups (Do Don Pachi, Batsugun, Battle Garegga and the likes) and 2D Platformers. I really have a thing for those games, I don't know why.

I would like to see more surgery games like trauma center or some more realistic ones.

turn-based anything. i love xcom new and old, i love magic the gathering, i love slay the spire, i love oldschool RPGs. also teaching myself to play frostpunk right now, a strategy town-builder thing which you can pause to simulate turns if you like. also wanna learn that mordheim game that just got re-released on GOG.

my reflexes have never been good but they are now screwed, lol. i died six thousand times on chapter nine of celeste, i have died in vanilla doom 1, do not give me action games

Since I grew up in the 80's and 90's it has to be the 2D Platformer (Mario, Sonic etc), plus FPS.

the ones that absorb me the most are usually first-person and third-person rpgs like immersive sims (dishonored, deus ex human revolution), and i have a soft spot for looter-shooters and a few mmos, huge time sinks despite feeling mindless at times.

some games click with me even when they don't fall into these genres so i stick to them, usually the ones that are easy to pick-up and play or when i feel too tired to grind, basic fps like classic hl for dm and the occasional mods, and csgo.

Metroidvanias

Survival Horror 

Open world RPGs

FPS's(more old school than modern) 

City Building strategy games

Retro arcade (Retropie is so good) 

As a kid, I really loved FPS mostly but it has taken a back seat now. I like visual novels, platformers and puzzle games a lot now.

My least favorite genre is JRPG, they always tire me out.

First-person shooter is my bread and butter; mainly all the "boomer shooters" (all the 90's and early-to-mid 00's stuff) as opposed to typical modern stuff, but I am also highly fond of action RPGs (Diablo, Torchlight) and survival horror (Silent Hill, Resident Evil). As for everything else: Third person action/shooter (Devil May Cry, Max Payne), side scrollers (too many to list), 3D platformers (Ape Escape), metroidvanias (Hollow Knight), rogue-lites/likes (Risk of Rain, Death Road to Canada), beat 'em ups (too many to list), shmups (vertical and horizonal flavors), "aggressive" puzzle games (e.g Tetris Attack), sandbox games (like Postal 2 and the old 3D Grand Theft Autos), racing (especially "simulation" stuff like Gran Turismo), vehicular combat (mainly Carmageddon but I also like Gas Guzzlers), Pokemon, and Magic the Gathering (via Arena) which I never thought I'd be into but turns out now I'm ultra hooked (black and green combo deck ftw). Am interested in more like Japanese RPGs but need to actually play one first, real-time strategy (the classics like Command & Conquer), turn-based strategy (Darkest Dungeon, Fallout, XCOM) and I honestly forget.

I guess 4X is the only genre I'm not interested in seeking out at this time. Most western RPGs don't look very appealing to me, and most open world stuff for that matter I find boring. I'm probably just picky and haven't found the right ones yet, but until then I'm not exactly starving for that content.

Should also mention I am not a big multiplayer person, but I do enjoy Team Fortress 2 and sometimes Doom.

E: Wow I forgot about fighters completely, I love Street Fighter and also really like King of Fighters (need to play more however).

Edited by Lila Feuer

3D Platformers are my favorite genre even though Doom is my favorite game. Things with a lot of collecting, like the Banjo-Kazooie games, the Ty the Tasmanian Tiger games, Rayman 3, Psychonauts (can't wait for the sequel) and the underrated Voodoo Vince.

3D platformer-adventure games like "A Hat In Time" or "Ty The Tasmanian Tiger". I like the big open world style games with a lot of collectibles. :)

Sandbox is one I play a good chunk with though like Minecraft, Terraria, Starbound, Creativerse, Stardew Valley (though that's more of a farming sim) and Gmod.

Soulslikes, RPGs, Retro FPS games, Metroidvania, quite a few I like.

I like FPS games a lot more, but basically any game that has a lot of edge, I.E Postal, is good. I am not an edge lord as you may think, I do have limits. In fact, I can agree Postal does go a tad too far sometimes, I just love those games basically for the same reason I like horror movies, shock value.

Metroidvanias, most E-Sports, 5th Gen 3D - Platformers, Oldschool Single-Player FPS, I would actually say I don't play games by genre, but talking about genres globally, I like most of the Metroidvanias.
E-Sports I consume are LoL, CS:Go, Overwatch and Gran Turismo (Mostly LoL since I'm shout-caster).
3D - Platformers, anything like Spyro or Crash to me is fine, I don't fancy N64 ones as much as PSX ones, but I really like them.
FPS, Doom, Duke Nukem, and maybe Half Life, also I really enjoyed the (what is for me) the last "oldschool single-player FPS" Black, for PS2.

FPS, Third Person Shooter, RPG, Platformers, Racing, Side-Scrollers, and Fighting games is pretty much where it is for me (although I'm not playing a lot of fighting games since I'm pretty fucking bad at them lol).

Edited by seed

Old-school FPS games (like Doom engine and build engine games ), RTS games (like Command and Conquer series and Starcraft 2) and RPG games (like Mass Effect trilogy) 

I try not to favour one genre over another and I'm always willing to try new things, but if I had to generalise: Souls-like, FPS, fighting games, racing sims, survival horror, turn-based strategy, and I don't even know what to call them but good narrative-driven games like Life is Strange.

Not one specific genre, but I have a strong preference for games you can pick up and play at any time / put down any time with little consequence. Street Fighter, Doom deathmatch, Mario games, arcade-style games like Galaga, that sort of stuff.

I have played and enjoyed numerous long-form games as well: Oblivion, Mass Effect, older stuff like Earthbound and Mario RPG. The majority of stuff I like is easy to pick up and put down whenever you like though. (I never “beat” Oblivion but I spent enough hours for it to count)

I don’t play many new games because the sheer scope and amount of time required for so many of them is kind of daunting. I like it bite-sized!

FPS and RPG mostly.

I played RPG's before any shooters became a thing, starting with D&D in the early 80's and the AD&D titles SSI developed in the 80's.

Hard to beat a good FPS. Doom, Quake, Wolfenstein, Painkiller...

I'm not a big MMO person but I do enjoy messing with Guild Wars II after burning out on the first game. Never played WoW and have no interest in it.

Never could get into strategy games. Only one I really enjoyed was Battlefield. Haven't played that in over 10 years or something.

Third Person is nice too. Not sure what the last 3rd person game that I played. Heretic 2 and Rune and some Tomb Raider... Ahh, it must've been Red Faction Guerilla. Fuck that was a fun game... the destructible buildings alone were a blast to play with.

3 hours ago, Doomkid said:

(I never “beat” Oblivion but I spent enough hours for it to count)

Oblivion is the only TES / Bethesda game where I finished the Main Quest. I think I was totally sick of the Oblivion gates so I decided to finish so they would disappear from the game world. Played the hell out of Fallout 3, Fallout 4, Morrowind and Skyrim and never finished the MQ's. Same with Obsidian's New Vegas. I might make it a mission to go and beat the main quests.... Then again going back to Morrowind isn't likely to happen since I got some kind of permanent burnout with the whole game. haha.

Spoiler

How do I get rid of the spoiler tag?

I'll just get straight to the point:

- First Person Shooters (Doom, Quake, Half-Life, etc.)

- 2D/3D Platformers (Mario, Sonic, Commander Keen, etc.)
- Beat em' Ups (The Simpsons Arcade, Violent Storm, Spider-Man, etc.)
- Shoot em' Ups/Run n' Gun (Galaga, Gradius, Contra, etc.)
- Open World Survival (Minecraft)
- Racing/Kart Racing (Mario Kart, Gran Turismo, ATV Off-road Fury,etc.)
- Fighting (Super Smash Bros., Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, etc.)
- Click and Point Adventure (especially games by LucasArts)