Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr. Freeze

Your first impressions?

56 minutes ago, Boaby Kenobi said:

What are you playing on?

I watched LGR's review and he said the game has far less combat arenas like Doom 2016 did and that's something I didn't enjoy about that game so I am definitely more interested now in Eternal.

Im on PC look I highly recommend the game but many people are running into performance problems so I would wait.

15 minutes ago, NoXion said:

With so many different buttons for things - glory kill, grenades, dash, flame belch, as well as all the cooldowns you have to keep track of, it can sometimes get a bit overwhelming in the middle of the intensely chaotic and frenetic fights, especially the larger ones. My brain sometimes locks up a bit and I lose my bearings, mashing the keyboard like a monkey. I sometimes have to run around in order to give me time to gather my thoughts!

I kept finding myself in this exact situation, eventually I gave in and turned the difficulty all the way down so I can just enjoy the game. It's mechanically cluttered and overcomplicated. The last thing you want to be doing in a game like this is having to think too much.

Forget everything I said previously, now the game is crashing at random, complete with ear-piercing drill noise when the audio gets stuck.

Right now the only thing being slain is my hype.

After reading through this thread and other places online, this sounds like a case where the bad first impressions stem from people needing to get used to the new and altered mechanics.

Once players get farther in and get better at the combat loop I think opinions will get warmer.

Just now, NoXion said:

With so many different buttons for things - glory kill, grenades, dash, flame belch, as well as all the cooldowns you have to keep track of, it can sometimes get a bit overwhelming in the middle of the intensely chaotic and frenetic fights, especially the larger ones. My brain sometimes locks up a bit and I lose my bearings, mashing the keyboard like a monkey. I sometimes have to run around in order to give me time to gather my thoughts!

Just now, DoomUK said:

It's mechanically cluttered and overcomplicated. The last thing you want to be doing in a game like this is having to think too much.

You know, this part of the game reminds old Serious Sam games. I.e. you should constantly check your surrounding to know what weapon would be most suitable in current situation. But instead of "select rocket launcher, fire several rockets, change to minigun, shoot down five harpies, turn back to lasergun" here you must only press single button.

Only a few levels in, and I'm enjoying it so far, but I do have a few complaints:

- It's a little overwhelming with how much it throws at you early on. Not only with giving you multiple weapons in just the first couple levels, but with all the new toys to kill with, and then having to use them to manage what aspects need filling up. It's a little much at time.

- I'd heard it was harder, and they weren't lying. Even on ITYTD, I'm still getting my ass handed to me. Enemies feel more spongy, and are way faster to attack you now it seems.

- Maybe it starts making more sense later on, but story wise, I have no idea what's going on. They throw so much lore and shit at you without giving you context for why you're suddenly there.

55 minutes ago, The Icon of Sin said:

Im on PC look I highly recommend the game but many people are running into performance problems so I would wait.

LGR said he never ran into any issues when running the game but I don't know if he's just lying and saying that so he continues to get codes for games in the future.

Saw a few people saying the game was freezing for them but it might be due to their systems.

1 minute ago, Boaby Kenobi said:

LGR said he never ran into any issues when running the game but I don't know if he's just lying and saying that so he continues to get codes for games in the future.

Saw a few people saying the game was freezing for them but it might be due to their systems.

I've not had any issues. I did update my GPU drivers before running it.

2 minutes ago, Boaby Kenobi said:

running into no issues whatsoever.

Was even able to play at ultra settings with a 970 at 60 fps consistently. Could be there systems.

23 minutes ago, Kronecker–Capelli said:

You know, this part of the game reminds old Serious Sam games. I.e. you should constantly check your surrounding to know what weapon would be most suitable in current situation. But instead of "select rocket launcher, fire several rockets, change to minigun, shoot down five harpies, turn back to lasergun" here you must only press single button.

Except that as well as juggling weapons, you've got to juggle all the other stuff I mentioned as well.

I think it's something that's fixable if I just keep playing and getting familiar with it.

I've noticed the destructibility of enemies in the new engine in many videos. Has anyone got themselves in a situation where they have monsters crippled because their main weapons have been shot off and are relatively harmless, or are they still deadly in lesser ways? Or does the Glory Kill flashing happen as soon as all weapons and attacks are destroyed? If that's the case, what happens if you just leave the monsters alone?

1 minute ago, Foebane72 said:

I've noticed the destructibility of enemies in the new engine in many videos. Has anyone got themselves in a situation where they have monsters crippled because their main weapons have been shot off and are relatively harmless, or are they still deadly in lesser ways? Or does the Glory Kill flashing happen as soon as all weapons and attacks are destroyed? If that's the case, what happens if you just leave the monsters alone?

The revenant becomes pretty useless after you shoot off its cannons, it can only melee attack you, and no, they don't go into a stagger after you take out their weak points.

3 minutes ago, Foebane72 said:

If you shoot the Arachnotron's turret off, he still attacks with these little bomb launcher things. Shoot the Revenant's missile launchers off his shoulders and he just uses his fists on you. The Mancubus still has his flamethrowers if you shoot his arm cannons off.

Just now, Foebane72 said:

When you destroy their main weapon, they are crippled but they can still attack you. You still have to weaken enough after that in order to Glory Kill them.

The exception to this is the Caco, who is immediately sent into GK state when you launch an explosive in their mouths.

8 minutes ago, CasualScrub said:

When you destroy their main weapon, they are crippled but they can still attack you.

The melee attacks, are they weak, or do they still knock big health off of you?

40 minutes ago, Kronecker–Capelli said:

Reminds me more of the classic Doom games where you have to choose the right weapon at the right time.

Knowing your surroundings and pressing one button is not enough.

The melee attacks, are they weak, or do they still knock big health off of you?

All enemy attacks in this game cause more damage to you than in Doom '16, including melee. You die really fast this time.

13 hours ago, warman2012 said:

Can't say I've played this, but I watched MKFire&Ice's playthrough up to part three, which is the first 3 hours or so, so that I think that counts enough. This game is strictly what I thought it would be, a mismatched bargin bin 2016 DLC with not a lot of redeeming value.

Things I hate:

1. RPG and Mario platforming elements. This game is chock full of leveling up elements and overdependence on perks that makes Call of Duty look tame by comparison. This game tries to be a collect-a-thon adventure game not only in the sheer stupid amount of items but in the sheer of Super Mario plastered in this game. Its as if someone in the lead team did a 24 hour Mario marathon spree before getting to work on this sorry excuse of a game what with all the stupid jumping and hookshoting one has to do to traverse this game.

2. Slow glorykill confetti addiction syndrome: This returns from 2016 but even worse as now you find yourself collecting candy off the ground, and its MANDATORY to survive through this slog of despair. Glory kills are NOT optional, they are required to recover from the sheer amount of damage one takes in the closed demon arena battles.

3. Art Misdirection: Is it weird that I find this game was a failed attempt at a Games Workshop 40K game? I mean, the Exaltia and snow levels look like the Imperium of Man stopped in the Doomverse to build expansive vacation homes for the Empruh. The amount of gothic architecture and skulls really just don't do well to suggest this IS NOT 40k. Finally, we get to the Halo elements. So you are telling me a friend of the Didact-space vamp took over the Doomverse and laid the seeds of the Apocalypse because they couldn't go all sci fi techno god to save their dying race? Hmm, wonder why, considering you are out of your own universe. -hint hint- 

4. Obsessive Hand Holding: This one is rather short, why does this game have to tell you how to beat EVERY SINGLE ENEMY? I mean come on, now I can see what the guys who praise Dark Souls are coming from! Let people figure things out for themselves!

This was to be expected though. From what i have seen so far, the game looks way more like Doom than the previous game, the forced flaws like the stuff you mention are still there but it also seems like it has more good stuff than the previous game, like the level design.

my first impressions:

Spoiler

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Ok my first impression.

Played the first 3 levels (I think) with Ultra Violence difficulty.

Music, Sound, Graphics

They're all great! The guns in particular sound very satisfying! Love the throw back tunes snuck in the music. I don't mind the items being more brighter / arcade as the gameplay requires it.

Also if you pay attention to the environments you can find some stunning scenery and dark hellish props, far more evil than 2016 equivalents.

Gameplay and Mechanics

Combat is very fun and the jumping puzzles are somewhat satisfying. All the new abilities are cool and I would have loved the dash and shotgun chain in Doom 2016! The shoulder grenade, flamethrower and icethrower is a necessity and I advise anyone to master using them asap. I get great satisfaction when I use those combos effectively and acquire lots of armour shards.

Ammo feels very scarce early on. Worth either focusing as an upgrade or mastering chainsaw and equipment usage.

Difficultly wise, playing UV is tough. I die plenty but it feels like the right difficulty for me. If I played a step lower it could still be challenging enough but give me more of a power fantasy.

Pacing

Plenty of Arena moments but doesn't feel overdone so far. What's interesting is how much platforming there is. The Pacing I noticed is "Arena Battle - Secret Hunting, Platforming - Arena Battle". While I never really look forward to FPS jumping, I see why they did it. It's a good change of pace and practice for character movement.

Criticism

I have to say though, id Software has taken a gamble adding SO much mechanics and platforming. Anyone who is not a talented FPS player will have a tough time. Luckily I don't have this issue but I personally know people who could play and enjoy Doom 2016 but will quickly get frustrated and never finish Eternal. The platforming alone could ruin it for some players. For those who never played 2016, they shouldn't touch Eternal until they had.

**EDIT** This Bethesda Net crap keeps logging out on me far too frequently. Really annoying and a it's a shame this game shares the unfortunate modern Triple A functions.

Learning Curve

How many people play Fighting Games here? For those who do, you may relate to me. In these games you have to master quick thinking, reaction and memory of combinations. Many fighting games early on can feel overwhelming until you really gain traction with these skills. Similar in Doom Eternal, mastering all the grenades, abilities, movements etc is a lot to take in but once you become skilled with them it becomes immensely enjoyable and you couldn't imaging yourself going back.

Edited by Chezza

game seems insanely cool, gameplay seems vicious and streamlined, although it seems like ammo is so specific and restricted that you can't develop a favourite weapon?

i'm only watching other people's streams, i am not good at modern games and i'll freely admit it. the main drawback of this game seems to be the questionable humour - the UAC slogan hologram is really really painful

I've just discovered that Doom Eternal doesn't play nice with my Bluetooth headphones. I can hear the Bethesda logo sound, but the after that the sound cuts out completely.

EDIT: I found a fix!

I had the same issue and found that windows 10 has a default configuration enabled in bluetooth headsets that causes audio quality drop down, and in the case of Doom not sound at all is played.

To fix it:

1. Cick on window's start menu (or just hit windows button) and start typing "devices" (no quotes).
2. Then click on "Devices and printers".
3. Right click on your bluetooth device (Example: LG HBS770) then select "properties".
4.. A properties dialog is displayed, go to "Services" tab.
5. Disable "Handsfree Telephony"
6. hit "Apply", then "OK".
7. Wait few seconds until new configuration takes place.
8. If your headset is not connected, connect it.

IF YOU DO NOT RECEIVE AUDIO AFTER RE-CONNECTING:
make sure it is your default Playback device:
9. Right click on the volume icon (usually at the bottom right of your tasks bar) and select "Playback devices"
10. Right click on the name of your headset and select "Set as Default Device", then hit "Apply" and "OK".

And that's it. At least it worked on my PC (Windows 10) and my headset (LG HBS-770)

Edited by NoXion

2 minutes ago, NoXion said:

I've just discovered that Doom Eternal doesn't play nice with my Bluetooth headphones. I can hear the Bethesda logo sound, but the after that the sound cuts out completely.

Why am I not surprised?

People seem to be under the impression that id Software and Bethesda are EQUAL business partners, but I see id as being more inside the Bethesda bubble, and subject to what Bethesda wishes them to do. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

So, with wood firmly touched as I type, I will tentatively say that that I appear to very slightly possibly maybe sorted out the majority of the crash issues and I've managed to get through the second chapter.

THIS GAME IS FUCKING INSANE!

I'm playing on HMP, but it feels more like UV or Nightmare with the amount of shit being thrown at me. It's near impossible to get a lay of your surroundings simply due to the fact that you're pretty much swarmed within the first few seconds as evey enemy in the arena rushes your position. I'm getting the hang of jump-dashing my way out of the inevitable cartoon melee cloud, but it almost feels like I'm cheesing the system that way.

I definitely think that this game favours evasive tactics much more than 2016. Before, you could get up in a demon's face and give it what for. Here though, you do that and it's curtains. I can see this game being hell (ahem) on a joypad, but once you get into the sweet spot the combat is very satisfying. Feeding a Caco a grenade from a hundred yards away and then jump-double-dasshing right up to his face for the finish will porbably never get old.

Pretty much done for the night, but can't wait to play more tomorrow, technical issues notwithstanding. And yes, the Bethesda login is a broken piece of crap, but then it's Bethesda.

Why am I not surprised?

People seem to be under the impression that id Software and Bethesda are EQUAL business partners, but I see id as being more inside the Bethesda bubble, and subject to what Bethesda wishes them to do. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

This seems like a bit of an overreaction. It was an issue that was easily fixed by altering my device's configuration settings. It's not like I use the Handsfree Telephony feature on my desktop PC.

1 minute ago, NoXion said:

This seems like a bit of an overreaction. It was an issue that was easily fixed by altering my device's configuration settings. It's not like I use the Handsfree Telephony feature on my desktop PC.

Yes, maybe it WAS an overreaction. My first thought was how could any company's games dictate control over your own PC? Then all manner of paranoid conspiracies reared their ugly heads. Glad I was wrong.

2 hours ago, Kronecker–Capelli said:

I see your logic definitely. But it does feel like Doom Eternal goes a little overboard on the different ways that you're required to kill enemies.

In classic Doom, during a fight you basically need to worry about three controls: movement, shooting and weapon select. In Doom Eternal, in addition to those, you also have Alt-Fire, Change Mod, Chainsaw, Melee, Dash, Grenade, Change Grenade, Flamebelch, and any Rune specific controls (like holding Alt-Fire to slow down time when you jump). On top of that you have cooldowns to worry about, Glory Kill and Blood Punch, contextual attacks, and weak spots. Overall, it's a lot to hold in your head at the same time. 

It's not necessarily bad, and once mastered it opens up a huge range of combat possibilities, but it is probably the most complex FPS I've ever played in terms of control options.

1 hour ago, Chezza said:

Many fighting games early on can feel overwhelming until you really gain traction with these skills.

Except in fighting games you 'only' have to concentrate on one opponent. Similarly in Souls-like games you're often surrounded by stuff but their mechanics are quite simple, and they allow for a variety of approaches. Doom Eternal throws all this confusing shit at you and somehow makes you have to learn it all in a very short time.

Idk it's just not for me I suppose. I'm determined to see it through but I can't say I'm a huge fan.