Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lazygecko

This does not feel like a Doom game

I can get why some people don't like the game. Ammo, health and armor are very scarce but you can refill all of that with just pressing a key. I think that they tried to try something different from the classic 90s FPS formula, and they tried to innovate a bit with these mechanics but the problem is that they did it so abruptly that the player cannot experiment with them and get used to them. Forcing the player to play in a specific way it's not something I expect from a doom game.

They game doesn't play like classic doom and it doesn't want you to play like classic doom and that's fine because if Doom2016 and Doom Eternal were basically Classic doom 2 we would've got bored with it and no new audience would've been interested. The thing with the DE gameplay's  is that it limits you to play like the developers intended via limiting some mechanics rather than giving the player the freedoom to have different gameplay styles like in previous games. 

In classic doom and doom2016 you could play the game only with your fists or the pistol, no hurting any demon, using only a gun and that's what gave them replay value in my opinion that you have many ways to beat the game. Doom eternal forces you to play exactly how the devs wanted and while I'm ok with that many people may be turned off by it.

Regarding the looks of the game, I'm ok with them they give that arcade-y and goofy look like the old doom games. AGAIN, some people may not like it because of the looks of Doom2016 that had a more ''serious tone'' and the game that is supposed to follow it has spinning fire things that make no sense, but they are fun IMO. 

Eternal feels 1000x more Doom than '16.  My god, the level design just seems to be getting better and better.  Quite literally what I'd expect a modern Doom AAA map to look and play like.  It's amazing.  The combat is top notch. 

I know I've said this before but whenever something like this starts up I like to think back to Duke Nukem changing from a 2D platformer to an FPS and wondering how that would go down today with modern game/movie/whatever discourse.

13 minutes ago, Rampy470 said:

I know I've said this before but whenever something like this starts up I like to think back to Duke Nukem changing from a 2D platformer to an FPS and wondering how that would go down today with modern game/movie/whatever discourse.

Or Fallout going from top-down to first-person.

17 minutes ago, Foebane72 said:

Looks like on MetaCritic, the critics are unanimous in their love for DE, whereas the user score is more divided and becoming even more divided:

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/doom-eternal

277 Ratings on a game that have 10.000 Ratings over Steam it's like a small portion of people to take account rigth know.

image.png

Edited by jamondemarnatural

I've played a bit more (three more levels I think? Just blew up the Super Gore Nest from the original gameplay reveal) and I think it opens up as the game progresses. I still think all these ways to bash the demon pinatas using abilities with cooldowns are weird and not how I would've wanted the Doom games to "evolve", but when you get stronger weapons and some upgrades and, honestly, just get more used to it all, it becomes much more feasible to deal with things in different ways. In the beginning I was pretty much forced to feed cacos grenades or shoot off arachnotron cannons, but by now I don't have to care about any of that. I've also understood the flamethrower mechanic a bit better and gotten some upgrades for it and the vacuum rune and whatnot. The cultist base kicked my ass hard because I was still adjusting, but the doom hunter level was really fun, and I loved the boss(es) and the hell on earth 2 level was pretty fun as well, giving you much bigger areas to deal with roughly the same number of demons as they threw at you in some of the horribly small arenas of the cultist base. So while I still think it doesn't really feel like a doom game as much as it could, I'm developing a taste for its innovations purely for how it plays, not how doom-like the end product feels.

8 minutes ago, jamondemarnatural said:

277 Ratings on a game that have 10.000 Ratings over Steam it's like a small portion of people to take account rigth know.

Give it time, the game was only released yesterday.

6 hours ago, DoomUK said:

The aesthetic is very Doomy but that I think is where the similarities end, this is coming from someone who really liked Doom 2016 as a reboot and a game in itself. I'm trying to think of what other game Doom Eternal does feel like but I'm drawing a blank. Some kind of migraine simulator?

I always felt that it was a combo of Doom and Quake. Between the movement, and the incredible combat, Doom 2016 feels like a spiritual successor to both. I haven't gotten Eternal yet because I spent all my money on Touhou waifu memorabilia food, so perhaps I will try it for myself some day. But I did play through Doom 2016.

For me, Eternal is literally the closest any AAA FPS production has come to feeling like a 90s shooter since then.

But I'd actually compare it more to something like Duke 3D than Doom, but that's a good thing imo. Arc Complex feels like something right out of those Build engine games and I fucking love it.

This game has definitely opened sort of a weird rift but I hope they keep pressing on in this direction and refining it more (cleaning up some of the messy stuff like the Marauder in an otherwise fantastic game).

The level design is damn near immaculate and I can't get enough of the combat flow at this point. There definitely is a point where it just clicks for most people, and for others it just doesn't it seems, probably if you're just stubborn and brute force your way through the way you want to play.

The thing is, even playing the intended way, there's a million ways to approach and fight each scenario. It's not a limiting factor, it's just learning a general gameplay flow, like the meta for an online game, you know?

The best short-term descriptor I could give Eternal is a first-person character action game meets Build engine Doom.

Bit of a weird one but I fucking love it. You get so many tones of that character action feel through the layers to the combat and how you can use your moveset to basically combo and eliminate enemies fast if you know what they're susceptible to.

Eternal looks dope to me. I just decided to buy Animal Crossing to play with my girlfriend, because I spend so much time playing classic Doom as it is already. We played New Leaf to death.

image.png.7352c658ab5ce33269ce9f271db6a6df.png

1 hour ago, Foebane72 said:

Looks like on MetaCritic, the critics are unanimous in their love for DE, whereas the user score is more divided and becoming even more divided:

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/doom-eternal

After I seeing it I checked steam reviews on all known to me languages (which is english, polish, russian and a little bit french) for like ten minutes. Not that steam reviews are a big deal.
Of course there are a lot of meme reviews like "666/10", "RIP AND TEAR RIP AND TEAR" and a LOT of overexcited "I just came in my pants after seeing main menu" kind of reviews.
But if you scroll down for more than one screen you would see more or less adequate reviews. I skipped reviews labeled as "pre release" because OF COURSE they would be "Im crying....Im crying...twelve out of ten on the fingertips, I have a goosebumps from excitement".

After reading them for some time I notice one thing.
Good half of the reviews with big thumb up have structure like "All good, BUT..." and then description of whats wrong with it. There are can be anything movement, colorful drops, upgrade system and how you can fuck up you progression with wrong upgrades, how Bowser calling back and asked to returns his fire beams back, how life system are broken, that ammo can be refilled only in combat, etc, etc, etc.
Reviews with big thumb down have only part after BUT.
And its comes from people both with "played for 0.15 hours" as well as "played for 8.4/9.3/higher than two hours".
I didnt see any reviews which says "this is literally shit in a digital form" and other offenses to the game, mind. Im sure there are some, but I did not have the patience to scroll down to them.

So what we have? A lots of reviews of the type "After I run game I start feeling something sticky in my crotch" and some amount of "Its okay, I guess....but it have some strange gameplay decisions". This is also consistent with my pre release thoughts that it would be okay, but nothing more.
So I think user score will remain within 7-8 range.

2 hours ago, Bauul said:

This thread is a great example of how the simple question of "What made classic Doom good?" is one of the most debated on non-agreed upon questions in gaming history. There are so many "right" answers, each unique to the person answering.

• Was Doom about mindless blasting or intelligent decision making?
  • Was it about straightforward maps or complex exploration?
  • Was it about fast action or creepy horror?
  • Was it serious or comedic?
  • Was the level design faux-realistic or straight up gaudy?
  • Was it about ammo balance or no-stress shooting?
  • Was it about interesting lore, or a total lack of it?
  • Was it about hard and fast music, or melodic and atmospheric music?
  • Was it also about solving level puzzles/movement challenges, or just about shooting demons?
  • Was it because it was challenging or relaxing?

Somehow, the original Doom manages to be "yes" to all of these for different people.  There are 1024 different combinations of the above answers, and I'm pretty sure every one of those combinations would be applicable to at least someone somewhere.

Which combination is relevant to you will tell you a lot about how you feel about Doom 3, Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal, and why someone else could have such a polar opposite opinion.

There's also "is the game 3D?" or "is it fantasy or sc-ifi?" and stuff like that too.

5 hours ago, Pegg said:

What is a video from 2018 supposed to prove?

I just said this mentality did exist. While I'm very much against it.

20 hours ago, warman2012 said:

Quality is gone, and I am afraid it will not be coming back.

Define quality. 

And don't include the OG Doom 1 & 2.

Edited by The Doommer

Yet another thread that can be summarised by this comic strip.

e26.jpg

Doomworld sure has gotten repetitive these last few months, huh?

So, I played Doom Eternal for about 2 levels, and all I can say is I love it crazy.

To get ammo/armor/health you don't need lots of things to do. So, get better at the game if you haven't learned to use these.

I admit that Slayer Gates are very difficult indeed though

The new games are clearly more of their own version of Doom and i think even the devs are aware of it.

I feel like a lot of things under the Doom name can co-exist, honestly.

More of this reboot iteration with the upcoming single player DLC and content.

Giving Doom 3 another chance and fix some of its problems and do something good with it.

Maybe do something for classic Doom that fans not only would like to see, but probably did it before, so that means collaborations with the fanbase that "expanded" the series for years. (almost like "canonizing" some "fanfictions")

Maybe another version of Doom with its own interesting ideas and whether or not it's Doom enough would be up to debate.

Maybe even combinations of different types of Doom's.

I think a reason (out of others of course) we may not get an actual "classic Doom in HD" type of thing might be because of the engine, considering how the new games have disappearing corpses, for example.

At the end of the day a lot of people miss the good old fashioned run and gun gameplay of the original Doom games where you collect keys and hunt for switches. It still works in this day and age, look at how strong the Doom community is after all these years. People still create content for a game from the 90’s. I love the old games to death like many folks do. And for me, the new Doom games still feel like “DOOM” to me. I enjoy the mechanics that have been implemented, especially the glory kills. The only thing I’m not big on is all the platforming, but that doesn’t detract from the game for me.

9 minutes ago, whatup876 said:

the new games have disappearing corpses

Actually this is the only thing that bothers me in the new games. It bothered me a lot in Doom 3, but DOOM and Doom Eternal did lots of good things to cover that up for me

Agreed with the OP. As someone who doesn't care for glory kills and chainsaw and what not, I struggle because that's the only way to play and progress. And that is fine. I am sure tons of people love this. I just hope they'll diversify the mechanics a little bit in the next installment. Keep the crazy fast combat. Monster design is cool as fuck too. Perhaps I'll return to it later and my mind will be changed. The devs definitely poured their hearts into this game and it shows. Very well done!!!

And at least I don't feel the disgust I felt when I booted up Doom 3 upon release. Ew.

Now please excuse me while I wait for the next Skillsaw project ;)

1 minute ago, Firedust said:

And at least I don't feel the disgust I felt when I booted up Doom 3 upon release. Ew.

Doom 3 was AWESOME. Don't knock it.

You mean that linear corridory shooter with bullet-spongey enemies? Yeah, sure, whatever floats your boat.

3 minutes ago, Firedust said:

You mean that linear corridory shooter with bullet-spongey enemies? Yeah, sure, whatever floats your boat.

Yes, I loved it, and I don't see why you felt the need to bash it with "ew". Not everyone feels the same way as you.

Just now, Foebane72 said:

Yes, I loved it, and I don't see why you felt the need to bash it with "ew". Not everyone feels the same way as you.

And that is fine. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

19 hours ago, Foebane72 said:

This is going from gameplay footage, but I don't like what I've seen of the platforming and jumping puzzles.

I mean, in DE, there are obviously floating platforms that look like generic game floating platforms purpose-built, rather than the natural rocky outcrops they were in Doom 2016. And for comparison, the various ledges in Doom 2016's Argent Tower didn't feel like they were there as a jumping puzzle, but that you were climbing up a vast powerful machine.

Then there are the bright green question marks. Is this Mario or what?

Lastly, and I cringed when I saw them, were the slowly rotating burning chains in your path. Sorry, but Doom NEVER needed that kind of crap, and it feels more at home in a Mario game, so why push them here?

The thing is, after years of cutesy console games on my Commodore Amiga and what I've seen of Mario on the NES/SNES, I just wanted to get away from that kind of nonsense intended for little kids. And now I discover that such bullcrap has contaminated Doom! What were you thinking, Hugo Martin!?!

5 hours ago, Foebane72 said:

These two posts were made by the same person in the span of 24 hours. 

1 hour ago, Super Mighty G said:

These two posts were made by the same person in the span of 24 hours. 

???