Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lazygecko

This does not feel like a Doom game

1 hour ago, Super Mighty G said:

These two posts were made by the same person in the span of 24 hours. 

I think he might have a little sugar in the tank.

Edited by User Name

26 minutes ago, Foebane72 said:

I can't stand Mario and love Doom 3. What's wrong with that?

What's wrong is that you seem to think something you don't like MUST NEVER BE "contaminated" with something you do like.

But I think one take away we have here is that everyone cannot even agree to what "Doom is" so this is all very meaningless.

10 hours ago, User Name said:

At the end of the day a lot of people miss the good old fashioned run and gun gameplay of the original Doom games where you collect keys and hunt for switches. It still works in this day and age, look at how strong the Doom community is after all these years. People still create content for a game from the 90’s. I love the old games to death like many folks do. And for me, the new Doom games still feel like “DOOM” to me. I enjoy the mechanics that have been implemented, especially the glory kills. The only thing I’m not big on is all the platforming, but that doesn’t detract from the game for me.

They really came a major step further with how they handled keys and map design (in some maps).  I'm still working on the game so I don't have the levels memorized but that one city level with the massive pit in the middle of the initial fight is very reminiscent of classic doom, just modern.  Some things could be less linear, but damn.  They really tried this time and you can tell.  It's like they studied classic Doom's maps way fucking more than they did for Doom '16.  Even the little secrets that open to main paths stand out.  Kinda makes you wonder if Doom '16 was really rushed to get out the door.

You know it'd be interesting to see this pushed further.  Old school layouts with all the modern trimmings.  I don't think many people would notice other than this community.

And these fucking battles in Final Sin are hitting peaks I never thought possible in modern AAA gaming.  It's reminiscent of old-school arcade game difficulty on Ultra Violent.  It's so awesome.

Edited by Flesh420

All I know is that this is a lot more adrenaline-inducing and nail-biting than 2016, and also than a lot of the classic Dooms.
Actually getting good at the game feels great.

16 hours ago, Bauul said:

• Was Doom about mindless blasting or intelligent decision making?
  • Was it about straightforward maps or complex exploration?
  • Was it about fast action or creepy horror?
  • Was it serious or comedic?
  • Was the level design faux-realistic or straight up gaudy?
  • Was it about ammo balance or no-stress shooting?
  • Was it about interesting lore, or a total lack of it?
  • Was it about hard and fast music, or melodic and atmospheric music?
  • Was it also about solving level puzzles/movement challenges, or just about shooting demons?
  • Was it because it was challenging or relaxing?

Yes.

After finally pulling myself away from Doom 64 I’ve played a good portion of Eternal.

The game looks fabulous and runs wonderfully. 
However, I’m finding it hard to get to grips with the jugging of the mounted cannon, shooting and the chainsaw to get different item drops.

I find my self quite literally legging it from certain enemies in order to find an imp or a zombie to slice up to get some ammo , a lot.
The same applies for health. 

The Doom Slayer who has just literally been to hell and back is VERY weak to the slightest attack. The balance seems well off. I don’t ever remember think this for Doom (2016)
Does this improve as you level the Slayer up? Anyone else feel the same?

Also my Season pass didn’t download after redeeming the code (PS4) anyone got that issue? 

Edited by Eurisko

24 minutes ago, Eurisko said:

The Doom Slayer who has just literally been to hell and back is VERY weak to the slightest attack. The balance seems well off. 

Does this improve as you level the Slayer up? Anyone else feel the same?

Not really. If you want to rip and tear you're going to have to spend some time getting good, or just turn the difficulty down. And if you die a few times in a boss fight you can equip the Sentinel Armor, which is basically god mode.

I don't want to go off on another rant here but I don't know why the game has to be so ball bustingly hard, even on HMP. Did they play Dark Souls or Nioh for 5 minutes and think "hey hard games are fashionable so let's make Doom super hard"? 

Edited by DoomUK

5 minutes ago, DoomUK said:

Not really. If you want to rip and tear you're going to have to spend some time getting good, or just turn the difficulty down. And if you die a few times in a boss fight you can equip the Sentinel Armor, which is basically god mode.

I don't want to go off on another rant here but I don't know why the game has to be so ball bustingly hard, even on HMP. Did they play Dark Souls or Nioh for 5 minutes and think "hey hard games are fashionable so let's make Doom super hard"? 

This isn't like Dark Souls. That was the point I was trying to get across. DS gives you a lot more leeway in how you want to play. This would have been like if they made a DS where parrying and backstabbing is 100% mandatory.

2 minutes ago, lazygecko said:

This isn't like Dark Souls. That was the point I was trying to get across. DS gives you a lot more leeway in how you want to play. This would have been like if they made a DS where parrying and backstabbing is 100% mandatory.

I was being sarcastic, though I completely agree with you.

20 minutes ago, DoomUK said:

I don't want to go off on another rant here but I don't know why the game has to be so ball bustingly hard, even on HMP. Did they play Dark Souls or Nioh for 5 minutes and think "hey hard games are fashionable so let's make Doom super hard"? 

I don’t mind a hard game experience but not frustrating.

I’m getting there no doubt but it’s fucking nails.

I've never really played Dark Souls but I’ve heard the stories. 

1 hour ago, DoomUK said:

"hey hard games are fashionable so let's make Doom super hard"?

prolly inspiration from the custom megawad community and on a lot of social media alot of gamers look to doom as a fps challenge game, that prolly inspired most of it. I like it like this for the most part. I do think the ammo balance is a little stiff for the first three levels or so. if they end up patching this I hope they add a modifier to keep it like it is now for those of us who like the resource management.

11 minutes ago, MrGlide said:

prolly inspiration from the custom megawad community and on a lot of social media alot of gamers look to doom as a fps challenge game, that prolly inspired most of it. I like it like this for the most part. I do think the ammo balance is a little stiff for the first three levels or so. if they end up patching this I hope they add a modifier to keep it like it is now for those of us who like the resource management.

Even after you have fully upgraded your ammo capacity it's still very low. You get a total of 24 shotgun shells, for example. This is all compounded by how when you get further and further into the campaign, the monster pool gets made up more of demons that aren't eligible for a chainsaw charge to get your ammo back. I find myself constantly running out of ammo and then scrambling to find a demon I'm actually allowed to chainsaw. It just breaks the flow and kills the momentum of the actual fun repeatedly. What's worse is that there are demons that closely resemble regular imps but are still classified as heavier demons so very often in hectic moments you end up trying to chainsaw them only to be denied, which just adds further to the sense of frustration.

And another thing about the whole chainsaw mechanic. It feels very self-contradictory. You're meant to stock up 3 charges (where the remaining 2 aren't self-recharging and can only be picked up as ammo in the environment) in order to be able to chainsaw a larger demon. But since you run out of ammo all the damn time, you feel forced to waste your surplus charges on fodder demons to restock ammo, so it's like you don't even get any actual chances to make use of a fully charged chainsaw. Just another layer of frustration. Makes me wonder why they even added that mechanic in the first place. They should just have made the chainsaw inherently a no go on large demons to make you not have to worry about that, and instead give you the sword earlier which fills that niche.

This game seems to have a very high skill floor. I completed Doom 2016 many times on Nightmare, but even on UV Doom Eternal is really stretching me. I’m realizing that skill in other FPS games doesn’t necessarily translate well into skill here  — you have to actually learn how THIS game works and practice with the tools to get better.

I like it, but it’s definitely not what I expected. 

What feels like a doom game is very debatable, because D2016 was actually quite different to classic doom games, for me the only game similar in gameplay style to the classic doom and doom2 is serious sam. But I agree there has been major changes on how the game feels compared to the 2016 version. In 2016 the combat was a run+aim+shoot basically, with some glory kills and chainsaw; now the run+aim+shoot is only half of the combat, the other half is chainsaw+flamethrower+bloodpunch+platforming+ice grenade+glory kills. Actually I feel this new gamestyle repetitive and boring and I'm quite disappointed with it.

You know what some of you could do is just put the game on normal difficulty instead of following this preconceived notion that you should "only play Doom on Ultra-Violence", if you're struggling and you did that it is probably because you jumped in on hard mode in a new game you know nothing about, you madman.

I'm playing it on normal and most of the difficulty critiques I noticed aren't sprouting up on my playthrough.

1 minute ago, mrthejoshmon said:

You know what some of you could do is just put the game on normal difficulty instead of following this preconceived notion that you should "only play Doom on Ultra-Violence", if you're struggling and you did that it is probably because you jumped in on hard mode in a new game you know nothing about, you madman.

I'm playing it on normal and most of the difficulty critiques I noticed aren't sprouting up on my playthrough.

I second this. I started on UV and beat the first two maps with it and then switched to HMP halfway through the 3rd map. No shame. This game is hard hard.

I'm currently playing the "Super Gore Nest" map and that's probably the most Doom level yet. It's really good.

5 hours ago, lazygecko said:

This would have been like if they made a DS where parrying and backstabbing is 100% mandatory.

So Sekiro then?

33 minutes ago, Bauul said:

So Sekiro then?

I suppose. I haven't gotten around to playing Sekiro or even Bloodborne yet. But that kind of furthers my point since they are different series not carrying the same set of expectations as a sequel to an existing game, so From Software can experiment and deviate more from their formula to set them apart from DS.

1 hour ago, Shaviro said:

I'm currently playing the "Super Gore Nest" map and that's probably the most Doom level yet. It's really good.

As of the end of level 2, I had a lot of reservations about the game, but it got better and better from there. Especially Super Gore Nest. The overall layout, the three-key door and even the multi-teleporter flesh room all felt like fantastic incorporations of classic Doom elements to me.

The first part of Arc Complex reminded me so much of a Build engine game. Divide the detail by about 2000 and remove the dash parts and I swear it could be straight out of Duke 3d.

I haven't played much DOOM or posted on this site in forever but I picked up ETERNAL and figured I'd add my thoughts. I'm only about half way(?) through the game and my impressions have been generally positive. Also to note I did not like 3 but found 2016 overall pretty good.

My biggest complaint is constantly running out of ammo. While I do find it somewhat engaging to glory kill for health and chainsaw for ammo, it begins feeling like too much micro-management. Also as many have said it does feel like you are forced into one way of playing 'correctly'.

The RPG elements I'm kinda neutral on because it appears in the end we pretty much end up at full power. After that you can go back and play the game with everything available and no longer worry about finding upgrades etc and just focus on fighting (those master levels are nuts and pretty much require max loadout). The game could do without this but at the same time I don't think they went too overboard with it either.

I like moving fast in DOOM so found the new dash mechanic to be quite nice. Either that or they needed to like double the run speed (2016 felt slow to me). I also don't mind the parkour and considering how crazy the monster AI is the extra dimension to fighting makes things quite intense. I realize this isn't traditional but I feel it works fairly well as a game mechanic.

Love the music. Lot's of pieces of classic songs mixed in really adds to the atmosphere.

Also love the visuals. They made the plasma rifle look classic again and most of the environments look true to the original style just at a much higher fidelity.

I'm super disappointed about no classic PvP mode and the comments made by that Bethesda spokesman about the game mode being 'eons old' sounded really out of touch. As much as I'm enjoying playing through the campaign I feel like this new battle mode is not going to hook me and I'll probably drop the game once I've 100% all the PvE material.

So I guess overall I'm enjoying ETERNAL but not sure how long it will hold my interest. Maybe it's near time to go back and finally finish up the Doom 2 mod I started like decades ago :^]

I couldn't stand the game. Got refunded on steam before my 2 hours were up. Might get it later when it goes for 20-30$ if I ever feel like giving it another chance.

2 hours ago, JBerg said:

I couldn't stand the game.

Why exactly?

BTW, all those people who complain about "the intended way, get the mastery for SSG and the hook will act like flamethrower and it's very good.

Also, some suit point spent can make barrels return ammo and I think it was a rune that made blood punch return health too.

So no, it's not one way to get resources. But I love the game nonetheless and I'm actually getting very good at Slayer Gates. I managed to kill two Tyrants (Cyberdemons) in one of them before seeing them before alongside a shitload of enemies on UV.

On 3/22/2020 at 7:38 PM, Shaviro said:

Super Gore Nest

It sure as hell is one of the best maps of the game. I finished ARC Complex today, so maybe there are even better ones to be seen

1 hour ago, The Doommer said:

It sure as hell is one of the best maps of the game. I finished ARC Complex today, so maybe there are even better ones to be seen

I’m up to level 9 (Taras Nabad) and in my humble opinion the 1-2 punch of Super Gore Nest and ARC Complex have been the peak of the game as far as gameplay and sheer enjoyment.

5 hours ago, The Doommer said:

BTW, all those people who complain about "the intended way, get the mastery for SSG and the hook will act like flamethrower and it's very good.

Yeah, that shit is magnificent. I pretty much never use the meathook for navigation, but it's a wonderful way to get like 20 armor from some shitty imp very quickly, and even seems to work out with bigger enemies, despite all the developers' assurances that demons like the mancubi would have answers to the SSG in this game.