Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tony_Danza_the_boss

Is anybody else seriously disappointed with Eternal?

Just now, Redneckerz said:

Story complaints. Sorry, this is a you problem more than its the game's problem. If you paid any interest to Eternal prior to release, you would know this.

Heh, story should be revealed in advertising materials?

I didn't expect the game would have so much platforming sections, but as someone who enjoys platformers I couldn't be more happy. I also surprisingly enjoyed the story it's such a ridiculous power fantasy. If the game is clearly not taking itself seriously, why should I? I just enjoy it for what it is and so far I'm having a blast.

13 minutes ago, twq1337 said:

Well, they killed doom when they stopped making good maps and thinking about good monster behavior design. Shooting stuff is cool, but you gotta admit that there were a lot of quite moments in original games that paced that "brutality" and that's where Romero comes in. He showed us how to make maps and why this is important and i'm not saying that there's no one outside that period of time that can do good maps.

Eventhough I loved doom2016 I admit you have an important point here, the map design was IMO what made classic doom games masterpieces, and I missed that in D2016, where instead of good maps we had basically interconected arenas.

I'll quote myself in a thread just around the corner from this one....

16 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

Yet another thread that can be summarised by this comic strip.

e26.jpg

Doomworld sure has gotten repetitive these last few months, huh?

37 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

I'll quote myself in a thread just around the corner from this one....

People debating if they like or if they dislike 'thing' is something natural and to be expected in a forum about 'thing'.

2 hours ago, Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

Second level in, I'm actually enjoying it, it's a huge improvement over D2016 so far (minor the stupid tutorials).
I'm glad that I have kept my expectations at floor level.

Uhh Ling did you take over Sarge's account to make this post?  Could have sworn Sarge said in an interview he's not gonna play this game.

3 minutes ago, yuri_kalashnikov said:

People debating if they like or if they dislike 'thing' is something natural and to be expected in a forum about 'thing'.

I agree.  I'd rather have positivity than negativity -- i think it's wiser to spend your life thinking about and doing things you like -- but the graphic could as easily be applied to raving on about how unbelievably excellent something is.

I'm interested to read the criticism, even if I don't agree with a lot of it. I note some of the people dumping on it here haven't even played the game.  

Well, I did receive disappointment when playing the game, when I got to level 4, and then my computer really started to struggle with it. I have a more than good enough processor but just a Geforce 1060GT 3GB and although they said in the specs you should reasonably expect 60fps on low settings at 1080p, that immediately stops being true at that level and that was very disappointing to me. I will play it again after maybe upgrading or buying one of the new consoles, whatever I don't know at this point. 

What I did play was immensely better than Doom 2016, and in fact playing this made me more understand why Doom 2016 was disappointing to me. Its level design was straight up basic, and had very little imagination in it. There was more variety in the first 3 levels of Doom Eternal than there was in the entirety of Doom 2016, and I mean all kinds of variety, environment variety, layout variety, enemy variety, encounter variety, weapon capability variety, tactical variety. Doom 2016 is just a tech demo compared to this game. I'd put it like this, playing Doom 2016 all the way through I kept thinking "is this actually any good a Doom game". I should not be thinking that. I should be thinking what I was thinking whilst playing Doom Eternal - "This game is awesome." Its level of design quality is reminiscent of when Nintendo actually had ambition in their game design. 

1 hour ago, Kronecker–Capelli said:

The advertisements do use parts of the story but they're small so you might not catch it there. However every time Hugo and Marty would present Eternal anywhere they would talk about how they're building more story for this game (and you can tell since 2016 stablished some already) and how they wanted to make a Doom universe.

People who got to play early access even showcased a couple of cutscenes, so anybody following the game would know it was heavier on story.

45 minutes ago, STILES said:

Uhh Ling did you take over Sarge's account to make this post?  Could have sworn Sarge said in an interview he's not gonna play this game.

Don't fall in click bait videos /s

Im just EXCITED for finally playing and beating this  game, it's on my opinion, the best DOOM gameplay style, it's punish you, at the same time you can punish the game, its a great movement based style of shooter, it's feel like im playing a Arena shoter but like 1 vs 10. The chainsaw mechanics are better in this game than in Doom 2016, you don't need 100 shells as you have more weapons, finding my love for the ballista here.

Also, if people really are bashing this game for the story...what? It's like you buy a game for the movies instead of the game-

3 hours ago, twq1337 said:

You can find a ton of custom wads with better design then original 3 episodes, but doom 2016 and eternal feels like their levels were shit out by Oblige generator with a little bit of afterwards polish.

This makes incredibly little sense on a technical level, and on a emotional level it just sounds irrational. Besides, you are comparing two development environments that are 27 years apart as of writing.

New game design is just lazy: instead of putting us trough pre-designed situations where every hp and bullet count they make a system where there no need to worry about hp, cause you can just punch red glowing mob, or bullets, cause you can wipe out that 'ol chainsaw.

The fact that you claim something like the bolded tells me you have very little idea of how game development works. I am sorry to put that so bluntly. On a practical level, the way developers design games couldn't be further from being lazy. The paradigms used, yes, those can be discussed, but calling current game dev design as lazy is just insultive.

Seeing that you end this with ''These games are trash'' tells me your post is more hyperbolic in nature than argumentative.

Somewhere a newly registered user must arise that can put forth its complaints with Eternal in an actual critical way, right?

3 hours ago, Kronecker–Capelli said:

Of everything said in my post, this is the thing you are going to focus on? I am sure i don't have to re-explain myself as to what i was referencing.

Several things the OP points out were communicated prior by id through its trailers or previews.

Edited by Redneckerz

10 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

The fact that you claim something like the bolded tells me you have very little idea of how game development works. I am sorry to put that so bluntly. On a practical level, the way developers design games couldn't be further from being lazy. The paradigms used, yes, those can be discussed, but calling current game dev design as lazy is just insultive.

I'd call a lot of it uncreative, and I think Doom Eternal vs Doom 2016 is a good example of why that creativity makes such a difference. I mean remember that topic I made, and yet on Eternal I think of it very positively and that's the primary difference as I see it. 

17 hours ago, Foebane72 said:

OP, shush, you'll get us all crucified with remarks like that! They've already nailed me to the cross over saying the same thing! And for loving Doom 3, too! It's a capital crime over here!

Capital crime?

I'm one of the oldest members here, and I don't (edit:) think (/edit) Doom 3 is bad at all.

I don't know where a lot of you are getting the idea that speaking your opinion of media from the franchise will get you "crucified", but this shit needs to stop. A lot of you are drawing lines in the community not so unlike the way you claim the latest iteration of the series does. You're creating echo chambers, and painting a banner describing DoomWorld as a "stop liking what I don't like!!" community - which is hardly (edit:) close to, and rather far from (/edit) the truth (god, how did I leave so many grotesque sentence inconsistencies? Sorry!).

The backbone of this community has always been discourse, yet finding common ground in what we all DO like about different entries in the series.

I thought it was funny at first to see so many users, both new and old, complain about content that others like that you do not, and mocked it.

It's no longer funny when that mentality is being used to divide a community. Stop attaching your feelings to your opinions.

ON TOPIC:

The biggest gripe that I have is that the overall model/texture detail has a noticeable drop in quality compared to 2016 - the revenant being the biggest example. I would attribute this to the incorporation of "damage" models and textures to all demons in the the game. Quake II did this as well, and I honestly thought Quake I's model texturing looked much better. That being said, the damage effect looks great and gives great feedback and makes the weapons truly feel like they "punch".

But as far as the game being a disappointment, FAR from it.

The game has been a blast of a challenge on Nightmare. I've died countless times, but even the way I die I seem to find enjoyment and hilarity in, especially when self-imposed.

The game feels much faster paced and chaotic, exactly how the classics felt. I'm cool with the melee being nerfed as well, but it does urk me that doomguy can punch through cracked walls but not through a zombie's flesh. Nevertheless, still a great enjoyment and it has far exceeded what I had hoped for.

I use the runes for faster glory kills and glory kill speed boost. When I'm fighting, I'm a goddamned speed demon, and it feels fucking great - comparable to quakeworld rocketjumping and bunnyhopping.

Edited by Chronohunter45

I spoiled myself a lot from this game but it won't stop me from wanting to play it.

It's not a perfect game and was never going to be, but it is a mix of a modern Hell on Earth and an enhanced Doom 2016.

That is good enough for most people.

One type of complaint that may change if i actually play the game might be what i said about similar attacks in some enemies.

I feel like even the bosses shared certain attacks but i think the best one is the last one for obvious reasons.

2 hours ago, Chronohunter45 said:

The biggest gripe that I have is that the overall model/texture detail has a noticeable drop in quality compared to 2016 - the revenant being the biggest example. I would attribute this to the incorporation of "damage" models and textures to all demons in the the game. Quake II did this as well, and I honestly thought Quake I's model texturing looked much better. That being said, the damage effect looks great and gives great feedback and makes the weapons truly feel like they "punch".

Quake 2 did have damage textures but not models, from what I remember.

As for the Quake 2 texture detail, in software mode, they did look higher in detail than in the 3D card mode, where they looked lower in resolution, as if they'd been resampled to a lower resolution. In the 3D card mode, they looked as blurry as heck.

I think the source ports went some way towards fixing the resampling issue.

9 hours ago, seed said:

From what I've seen thus far, I second this.

I third this, this game is just too good to be true.

I wish there was an option to save outside of combat manually but not a huge issue for me.

7 hours ago, SamuelMTEvander said:

I was already disappointed with Doom 2016

Why though? Doom 2016 was very closer to Doom compared to Doom 3.

reboot series

Spoiler

It's not a reboot. Doom Slayer IS the OG Doomguy.

There were constantly times throughout the game were I was left stuck because there was no intuitive way to know where you were going. The way to progress in the level was so hidden in the detailed architecture with no obvious hints that I had to check Youtube walkthroughs on how to progress.

I think in the first 4 levels I had to do that only once and that was the elevator puzzle in Cultist Base. Not really a huge issue either.

7 hours ago, twq1337 said:

these games are trash

Then maybe you are on the wrong forum... This is Doomworld, not DevilDraggersWorld

15 hours ago, Foebane72 said:

OP, shush, you'll get us all crucified with remarks like that! They've already nailed me to the cross over saying the same thing! And for loving Doom 3, too! It's a capital crime over here!

IDK why you like to offend the other members with these comments. Please stop doing this.

8 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

DOOM Eternal. The platforming has been mentioned prior, also by the Gman. It is to increase verticality and movement variety, first and formost.

Agreed very much. The platforming was already seen in all the DE vids. Anyone who disliked it should have avoided the game before the release. Your fault for not paying attention.

8 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

And the absurd amount of lore that was added to this game is so incredibly dumb.

Do you know it's optional? I think you do. Nowhere in the game it forces you to read them. Dumb complaint, no offense.

8 hours ago, Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

minor the stupid tutorials

I think those are optional and can be turned off. But I was OK with them. Especially for some of the mechanics it felt needed.

8 hours ago, Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

I'm glad that I have kept my expectations at floor level.

It's funny that you said you won't play it but played it nonetheless. 

Also, you just said you are enjoying it Sarge.

8 hours ago, yuri_kalashnikov said:

They are not optional mechanics, they are necessary to beat the game

Chainsaw was never really optional in the Doom 2016. Glory kills gave you a boost.

Also, is pressing a button really that bad? I don't really get it. I almost rarely use the flamethrower and I'm usually fine on UV. (Except the Slayer Gates, goddamn)

8 hours ago, Kronecker–Capelli said:

Most people have the same opinion

AFAIK, Midnight, Civvie, GMan  and Griffing Gaming all praised the game pre-release. Also the hype was always huge. IDK what are you talking about.

Edited by The Doommer

On 3/20/2020 at 2:06 PM, lazygecko said:

I realize your mileage may vary with what truly "feels like Doom", but for me 2016 and even Doom 3 felt close enough to the originals in spirit, while the gameplay design in Doom Eternal feels so incredibly far removed from what I'm looking for in a Doom game and I was really taken aback by it. From all the pre-release footage and interviews I watched, I had an at most very mildly questionable attitude towards the expressed direction of the game mostly stemming from indifference toward a lot of the new mechanics added, but it wasn't until I played it myself for a couple of hours when it really dawned on me just how fundamentally different it is and how I'm really not enjoying it.

My overall issue with the new direction is that they tacked on all these new systems and complexities to the combat that I ultimately don't have much interest in engaging with. I don't really care about the chainsaw, the peripheral gadgets like the launcher and flamethrower, etc. Didn't care about them in 2016 either (which I loved from start to finish regardless), but at least it was pretty easy to just brush aside there. In Eternal they've designed the whole game around really forcing you to use all these things that are locked behind charges/cooldowns. This new mandatory layer of resource management is not fun at all and just adds an immense sense of frustration. They've funneled you down this really narrow vision of how to play (ie, the "fun zone").

I don't really have a problem with games punishing you if you don't "git gud". I love the Dark Souls games. But at least those games give you a lot of options and freedom in how you want to play and engage the different obstacles/encounters. Doom Eternal really only seems to have one "correct" way of playing and if you're not into it, then tough shit. From the interviews it seems like this decision was informed from watching how a lot of people played Doom 2016 "wrong" and potentially not enjoying it, and id subsequently feeling that they had to herd players down a specific path. I guess that means I have also been retroactively playing Doom 2016 "wrong" the whole time as well which is a kind of alienating feeling.

This is not really a statement on whether Doom Eternal's gameplay is good or bad, but I can say with certainty that it's not for me. Kind of similar to people's attitudes toward Death Stranding I suppose.

I'm going to quote this again and reiterate how you can communicate disappointments without being an asshole. If you're going to be destructive you might as well not say anything if you don't want backlash. 

51 minutes ago, The Doommer said:

I third this, this game is just too good to be true.

Just to mention, but you have misquoted me for Foebane and possibly others :)

6 hours ago, STILES said:

Could have sworn Sarge said in an interview he's not gonna play this game.

I never said that. I said I was not hyped for it.
It was a bait title, the journalist already edited it and sent me a long apology letter. It was not even supposed to be an interview about NuDoom.

1 minute ago, Redneckerz said:

but you have misquoted me for Foebane and possibly others :)

Oh, sorry I intended to mention him.

I'll edit it.

12 minutes ago, Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

I never said that. I said I was not hyped for it.
It was a bait title, the journalist already edited it and sent me a long apology letter. It was not even supposed to be an interview about NuDoom.

Yeah I know man I was being facetious over the whole situation.  Good to hear you had some enjoyment out of Eternal.

6 minutes ago, The Doommer said:

praised the game pre-release

Pre-release is keyword here. You know some games which was not praised on the pre release state? Even fallout 76 have pre releases reviews like "its good, not excellent, but good, 7/10".
Why? If reviewer will say "it kinda meh game" -> publisher would not send to reviewer copy of the new/next game pre release -> reviewer will not be able to jump into the hype train for the new/next game -> reviewer lost part of it auditory -> auditory generate revenue to the reviewer -> revenue amount drops -> reviewer spend less time on reviews and more on other work to pay bills and buy stuff -> less reviews shrink size auditory even more -> looping until reviewer completely drop his youtube careere or change format.
IIRC some reviewer even said something like "I got a pre release copy of Doom Eternal, but I cant spoils it much to you due to the terms of contract I have with Bethesda".

Again, I, and other peoples, dont says that game is bad. Its okay, but only for one or two times for the most part. But I can see a reasons why someone can play in it for hundred of times.

1 minute ago, Kronecker–Capelli said:

If reviewer will say "it kinda meh game" -> publisher would not send to reviewer copy of the new/next game pre release -> reviewer will not be able to jump into the hype train for the new/next game -> reviewer lost part of it auditory -> auditory generate revenue to the reviewer -> revenue amount drops -> reviewer spend less time on reviews and more on other work to pay bills and buy stuff -> less reviews shrink size auditory even more -> looping until reviewer completely drop his youtube careere or change format.

Pretty sure GManLives praised the review copy.

So, your claim is incorrect about Doom Eternal

Just now, Kronecker–Capelli said:

Do you even read what I was typed?

OK, my bad. But still, this claim is so wrong since as I said before, quite a lot of youtubers were hyped even though they never got a review copy.

Just now, The Doommer said:

OK, my bad. But still, this claim is so wrong since as I said before, quite a lot of youtubers were hyped even though they never got a review copy.

And thats the reason of advertising, to captivate people. Why do you think advertising exist in the first place?
Otherwise if someone was hyped just because he heard that Id making new Doom game, without knowing any of details about it, this would be religious like zealotry.

12 minutes ago, Kronecker–Capelli said:

if someone was hyped just because he heard that Id making new Doom game

We were hyped for 2016, but I had my doubts. 

Now for Eternal, everyone knew what to expect so the hype was way more.

And please never compare Doom Eternal to Fallout 76 ever again for any reason.

Also, I enjoyed the game very much even if you think all these youtubers were "forced" to like it

1 hour ago, Kronecker–Capelli said:

reviewer will say "it kinda meh game" -> publisher would not send to reviewer copy of the new/next game pre release -> reviewer will not be able to jump into the hype train for the new/next game -> reviewer lost part of it auditory -> auditory generate revenue to the reviewer -> revenue amount drops -> reviewer spend less time on reviews and more on other work to pay bills and buy stuff -> less reviews shrink size auditory even more -> looping until reviewer completely drop his youtube careere or change format.

So what your saying is youtubers only like the game because they are given advanced copies...

Yeah thats it the only reason anyone can like DE is because we don't know any better or are forced to like it.

Sure. Whatever

5 minutes ago, CasualScrub said:

Further explaining why.

I read some parts of it.

You should have never went for the game if the platforming felt bad for you

And also again I don't really get why people are so upset about a bunch of keyboard keys on PC...

3 minutes ago, jazzmaster9 said:

Yeah thats it the only reason anyone can like DE is because we don't know any better or are forced to like it.

This is what I call forcing your opinions to others