Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tony_Danza_the_boss

Is anybody else seriously disappointed with Eternal?

Honestly i been playing doom 64 more then eternal, just unlocked the lost levels, once i have beat them il delve back into eternal, but i think all dooms have kinda lost their vibe ever since goin 3d completely, i miss the onslaught of corpses that modern doom games lack, all this jumping up and down and stuff just doesnt tickle my fancy, i actually hope one day doom will return to its roots and pump out a sequel with similiar gameplay then the originals.

24 minutes ago, Foebane72 said:

For God's sake, everyone: just use the word "original", will ya? Is it really that hard to add a few extra letters?

Of the entire post, OG instead of Original bothers you the most?

Seriously?

3 hours ago, Phobos Anomaly said:

Platforming != Mario

Only if they understand it...

11 hours ago, Vesperas_ said:

What are you? A 10 year old? Grow up.

ffs, you said I missed your point. But others seem to agree with me as well.

Does this make me a 10 year old? Stop disrespecting because one doesn't agree with your flawed reasons.

9 hours ago, Super Mighty G said:

Nah that honor goes to Rage 2. 

Laughs in Hunt Down the Freeman

blatant influences from Diablo III, Warhammer, Predator, Super Mario, Zelda, My Little Pony, Quake 3, Brutal Doom

Why do people keep bringing up Brutal Doom?! Glory kill was there in your "Call of Doom" which was started before Brutal Doom.

Also gore was a thing in Doom, Brutal Doom only modernized it.

59 minutes ago, Cacodemon345 said:

The game gives you a chance to unlock OG Doom's Doomguy skin.

And you can do so very early.

The least you could do is pay attention, get with the program and stop making shit up.

Does me saying you called Doom Eternal a COD clone making shit up?

What is making shit up?

1 hour ago, InDOOMnesia said:

The Bethesda app release has Denuvo on it.

You can find the DRM free version though

12 hours ago, 𝕲𝖗𝖊𝖊𝖓𝖙𝖎𝖌𝖊𝖗1 said:

while humming the Super Mario Bros music is ... fitting.

Pretty sure decino is being sarcastic though.

Even if he isn't a fan of the platforming, he won't attack the game because of that.

18 minutes ago, NoXion said:

I'd pay money for a single player mini-DLC with a fiendishly difficult platforming map or two. Completing it would be the perfect bragging rights reward.

Amen brother, Amen.

18 minutes ago, Aku said:

i actually hope one day doom will return to its roots and pump out a sequel with similiar gameplay then the originals.

Won't work at this era mate, Doom was a great game but the gameplay shows its age.

Let go of that nostalgic barrier and enjoy the new ones.

3 hours ago, Foebane72 said:

There, fixed it for you.

I Missed the point

So if you like it it's an "ENHANCEMENT" and if you don't it "DETRACTS" from Doom?

IYou Completely missed my point, I Can't believe i have to explain this to you

3 hours ago, Foebane72 said:

In all honesty, Jazz, I never even MENTIONED Doom 3. You did, just to bait me.

my intention was not to bait, your not that important for me to get your attention THAT badly.

you said Doom managed fine for 26 years WITHOUT any Mario stuff but was added to Doom Eternal.

just like Cheap Jump scares, advanced Lighting, a slow combat and a flashlight mechanic but was added to Doom 3.

there have been things added to OG Doom that that it could manage without, yet it's okay for Doom 3 to add features while not Doom Eternal?

once again I'M STILL not given any objective reason why platforming and arcade elements cannot be added to Doom.  my Point still stands if you can answer that.

11 hours ago, Phobos Anomaly said:

I think this little gem says everything we need to know.

Seems to be the norm for most haters of this game:

Play the game for like, 3-4 levels

Then come back and call it whatever you want

1 hour ago, Foebane72 said:

For God's sake, everyone: just use the word "original", will ya? Is it really that hard to add a few extra letters?

If you are going to be pedantic, can you please just write ''you'' instead of ''ya''? It can't be that hard to add that extra letter.

10 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

If you are going to be pedantic, can you please just write ''you'' instead of ''ya''? It can't be that hard to add that extra letter.

I can already bet he's gonna call this jest too after another backlash

37 minutes ago, The Doommer said:

Seems to be the norm for most haters of this game:

Play the game for like, 3-4 levels

Then come back and call it whatever you want

"Doom was about story"

I'm enjoying the story and I find the all the little bits of lore in nuDoom interesting, but that just isn't true. It's patently obvious to me at least that in Doom Eternal, gameplay came first as a design consideration before the narrative. This isn't Mass Effect where you can become sufficiently charismatic to literally talk your enemies to death. I love that series of games, but Bioware ended up writing themselves into a corner with the main trilogy, which why the last game yeeted the franchise into the Andromeda galaxy. But in Doom, the plot serves the gameplay, not the other way around.

I knew what I was in for... and it delivered on that front. I think I still prefer Doom 2016, it just felt a bit more simplistic. 

5 minutes ago, The Doommer said:

I can already bet he's gonna call this jest too after another backlash

Not everyone knows what OG means, I didn't hear the term myself until I came to this board. I figured it meant "original game", but not just "original".

I'm about to start Chapter 10, done a couple hrs of Battlemode, and...the game is just not fun.  The ammo/chainsaw/flame/nade mgmt is just not fun.  Or even well thought out.  I even have all the CDs lowered for flame belcher, nade, and ice blast.  Still, too often I'm stuck w/ my dick in my hands, running around, waiting for the CD just so I can use flame/ice, chainsaw for ammo, etc.  

I have a lot of minor complaints about the game I can easily get over.  I have a lot of praise for it, too.  It was the longest Steam review I've ever done (rough count is 1400-1500 words).  But to break down to the simplest factor - the resource system is just not fun, and the game is defined by the resource system.  

15 minutes ago, Dr. Cheesesteak said:

I'm about to start Chapter 10, done a couple hrs of Battlemode, and...the game is just not fun.  The ammo/chainsaw/flame/nade mgmt is just not fun.  Or even well thought out.  I even have all the CDs lowered for flame belcher, nade, and ice blast.  Still, too often I'm stuck w/ my dick in my hands, running around, waiting for the CD just so I can use flame/ice, chainsaw for ammo, etc.

CDs?

49 minutes ago, Dr. Cheesesteak said:

I have a lot of minor complaints about the game I can easily get over.  I have a lot of praise for it, too.  It was the longest Steam review I've ever done (rough count is 1400-1500 words).  But to break down to the simplest factor - the resource system is just not fun, and the game is defined by the resource system.  

Use the SSG Mastery and get armor.

Also, switch to a different weapon when you run out of ammo for one and don't go for a chainsaw right there. Also don't open fire till you run out. And then you will not face lots of waiting. Also be very mobile and keep moving.

1 hour ago, Foebane72 said:

CDs?

Cooldowns.

55 minutes ago, The Doommer said:

Use the SSG Mastery and get armor.

Also, switch to a different weapon when you run out of ammo for one and don't go for a chainsaw right there. Also don't open fire till you run out. And then you will not face lots of waiting. Also be very mobile and keep moving.

I actually have the SSG mastery completed and admittedly forget to use it at times.  The rest is already something I do.  I even have auto-switch after out of ammo enabled, which I never do for shooters, until this game lol.  And I try to use chainsaw only when i'm out of ammo for almost all guns, but I'm starting to think that's not as efficient, since chainsaw kills don't max out ammo.  I try to rotate weapons based on threat, then when I sense I'm low, chainsaw.  Of course, sometimes the heat of battle makes me forget and i'm completely empty on ammo (except for rocket launcher, I always save that last), then I realize I have to chainsaw.  

edit:

So I decided to take a break from Campaign and do some Master Levels.  I don't know why, but they seem easier, even w/ Cyberdemons, vs Campaign.  Even more fun.  Or maybe since they're Master Levels, my mindset is more calm (no real consequence from dying) and I'm getting rotations down better.  I dunno.  That's the thing about this game for me.  Sometimes it's super satisfying to clear an arena, when you do everything "right".  Other times, it's like "who tf designed this???"  I suppose it really depends on the encounter - demons, map, etc.  

Edited by Dr. Cheesesteak

1 hour ago, Dr. Cheesesteak said:

I actually have the SSG mastery completed and admittedly forget to use it at times.  The rest is already something I do.  I even have auto-switch after out of ammo enabled, which I never do for shooters, until this game lol.  And I try to use chainsaw only when i'm out of ammo for almost all guns, but I'm starting to think that's not as efficient, since chainsaw kills don't max out ammo.  I try to rotate weapons based on threat, then when I sense I'm low, chainsaw.  Of course, sometimes the heat of battle makes me forget and i'm completely empty on ammo (except for rocket launcher, I always save that last), then I realize I have to chainsaw.  

edit:

So I decided to take a break from Campaign and do some Master Levels.  I don't know why, but they seem easier, even w/ Cyberdemons, vs Campaign.  Even more fun.  Or maybe since they're Master Levels, my mindset is more calm (no real consequence from dying) and I'm getting rotations down better.  I dunno.  That's the thing about this game for me.  Sometimes it's super satisfying to clear an arena, when you do everything "right".  Other times, it's like "who tf designed this???"  I suppose it really depends on the encounter - demons, map, etc.  

Based on accounts like this and my own experience the chainsaw is intended to be used liberally, not as fall back when ammo is low. If you try and resist that you're going to have a bad time. 

On 3/27/2020 at 2:55 PM, Baron Pampa said:

I strongly dislike this progression&reward system. Go find that. Go find some more. Kill 50 demons in a particular way. Now kill 50 demons some other way. Explore whole map for some points to improve your combat effectiveness.

I understand your point, and I kinda share it, but I'll get to that in a bit. but when it comes to the seeking quests or killing quests, I think they're passable and as the Doommer said, a callback to the og dooms, and it is possible to get through the whole game without getting a single weapon or praetor suit upgrade, I've done it with doom 16 and I've done it with eternal. However, in the case of Eternal I swear to God, they gave you some of the secrets as Freebies. Like "hey, here's the secret, and here's the blatantly fucking obvious way to reach it." that part disappointed me. I liked secrets being secrets, I liked the rewarding feeling in doom or doom II when I just used a random part of the wall and it opened, granting me a secret with any number of useful goodies, from powerups to weapons I shouldn't technically get until much later in the game. 

I'm disappointed that I didn't turn off subtitles and skip reading the codexes on my first playthrough. They got in the way of the good stuff.

I turned the tutorials off right at the beginning though, that was obviously not going to work for me.

14 hours ago, The Doommer said:

Pretty sure decino is being sarcastic though.

Even if he isn't a fan of the platforming, he won't attack the game because of that.

I'm not saying he was or wasn't judging the game--all I'm saying is that there's a lot of platforming in a shooty game--and not everyone's going to like it--and they're not "wrong" to feel that way.

I'm not sure if I like it or not yet, will have to see--I wasn't even saying the game was bad. For example, I still think Doom3 is a solid game even though I don't personally like it. Not every game is going to be for every one. Personally, I still think Doom2's the best in the series. Just because Eternal looks "meh" to me, doesn't mean I think it's a bad game, or even a game I wouldn't play. And you can still enjoy a game and not like certain aspects of it. Like, as much as I love Doom2, I still like the Doom1 levels better.

Guys! Guys! Do you remember Foundry - this amasing open-ended level wich can be easely marked as the masterpiece of modern level design. Do you remember Argent Facility with its complexity where different areas could be aproached from different directions? Do you remeber fantastic acsention in Argent tower? Or Kadingir Sanctum, Titan Realm, Necropolis - all of those had locked doors and keys to find. And now with all honesty tell me if you experienced anything like that in DE, exept probably the Super Gore Nest I think? I completed the game and it left me kind a wondering....how come that I bring, not a classic Doom, but D16 as an example of how to make things enjoyable? 

Edited by id.dav

I cannot say that i am dissapointed because i was expecting nothing from this game, the previous one was just ok.

But in this one everything that was bad about the first one here is worse, just like i feared

3 hours ago, Super Mighty G said:

Based on accounts like this and my own experience the chainsaw is intended to be used liberally, not as fall back when ammo is low. If you try and resist that you're going to have a bad time. 

The chainsaw is intended to be used as a fall back when ammo is low, it sucks but they made it that way. That is also why you cannot kill anything but the weakest enemies with it.

18 hours ago, Phobos Anomaly said:

Platforming != Mario. Stop it.

They literally took the spinning rods on fire from Mario.

14 hours ago, D88M3R said:

Just now, D88M3R said:

I was going to say I've played most of the Mario platformers (SMB1-3, SMBW, Sunshine, SM64, NSMB, NSMBU, SM3DW), and that is definitely reminiscent of Mario. I forgot to mention the donut platforms too. The platforms that fall away after you step on them.

I don't mind some genre mixing--like, at all, but it's not a subtle influence.

Edited by 𝕲𝖗𝖊𝖊𝖓𝖙𝖎𝖌𝖊𝖗1

5 minutes ago, D88M3R said:

they also took crushing ceilings from Mario 3, your point?

6 minutes ago, 𝕲𝖗𝖊𝖊𝖓𝖙𝖎𝖌𝖊𝖗1 said:

I was going to say I've played most of the Mario platformers (SMB1-3, SMBW, Sunshine, SM64, NSMB, and NSMBU), and that is definitely reminiscent of Mario.

I don't mind some genre mixing--like, at all, but it's not a subtle influence.

I dont care as long as is it well implemented, but is not. Is tedious and out of place.

3 minutes ago, jazzmaster9 said:

they also took crushing ceilings from Mario 3, your point?

Watch my previous post, they say that people are comparing the new Doom to Mario and is not true, but it is.

On 3/21/2020 at 7:24 PM, Tony_Danza_the_boss said:

Really hope Id do not go this arcadey way for the next installment. 

It's proving to be really popular, I'm sure a few shooters will incorporate that stuff now.

It reminds me of the days of Quake2 CTF, the community was pretty split over the grappling hook back then too.

2 minutes ago, D88M3R said:

Watch my previous post, they say that people are comparing the new Doom to Mario and is not true, but it is.

i didn't know i could watch posts but okay.

I mean it is a copy of Mario, and thats fine.

Is this about the fire spinners? Say whatever about the tone but they're in like 2 levels and are barely an obstacle gameplay wise. If anything they should move faster or have some other quality to have an actual impact. I'd say they shouldn't be there not because they're goofy but because they don't really offer anything as they are.  

16 hours ago, The Doommer said:

Won't work at this era mate, Doom was a great game but the gameplay shows its age.

Let go of that nostalgic barrier and enjoy the new ones.

I think this says all there needs to be said, just another Doom doesn't work.

Re-releases sell because they're that, re-releases, but they mostly only appeal to the core fanbase.

Doom Eternal had the strongest launch in all of the series, it is working, it sells, people have fun with it. If you really want to just play more Doom 1/2, c'mon, you're on Doomworld, download some wads, you have plenty of classic action there already.

3 hours ago, jazzmaster9 said:

i didn't know i could watch posts but okay.

I mean it is a copy of Mario, and thats fine.

Read, watch whatever, you know what i mean lol

2 hours ago, Super Mighty G said:

Is this about the fire spinners? Say whatever about the tone but they're in like 2 levels and are barely an obstacle gameplay wise. If anything they should move faster or have some other quality to have an actual impact. I'd say they shouldn't be there not because they're goofy but because they don't really offer anything as they are.  

I dont know what people are complaining exactly, but to me yeah, is the platforming, it was out of place to me.

To be fair, i completely understand where the devs are coming from.
They saw old Doom and its level design and thought about if this was a modern game the player would be able to go all over the place like crazy, but i think they went too over the top with the "verticality" aspect of it.

-------------------------------------
I just finished it. I would say so.