Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

The Marauder didn't seem that bad to me after following the directions

9 minutes ago, Job said:

I just learned you can kill the Marauder's dog summon. It makes him a lot easier IMO. 

I'm not completely sure, but I think it causes a bit of splash damage if you do it when it's close which is really annoying. Hurts even with the suit upgrade that removes damage from barrel explosions.

I had some trouble with him first fight, it's not very easy to tell how close you can stand when he's dashing about the place and there's other enemies to deal with, and if you get it wrong he throws an energy wave at you (very hard to avoid at close range since he leads the shot) get hit on Nightmare? Well that's about half your health gone :p, sometimes he just summons the wolf over and over too which isn't ideal when you also have respawning monsters to contend with, but in the end he isn't tough at all when you learn how he works

The Marauder isn't that bad but it can be a pain if you're being attacked by other enemies while trying to focus on him. I do find that his ability to block everything (including BFG and Unmakyr shots, even Crucible strikes) is a bit ridiculous.

On 3/22/2020 at 9:12 AM, Linguica said:

I heard that the Marauder is a real bastard so I read the tutorial popup when the first one appeared. It says to stay at a certain distance (with a video example playing) and to shoot quickly when the opening appears. I did this and constantly circle strafed around the Marauder trying to maintain a ~256 unit range (in classic Doom dimensions), SSGing when the green flash appeared, and beat it on the first try? Are people simple refusing to follow the directions?

I did read that before fighting him for the first time but he kicked my ass until I watched a vid and read up more on it.  If you get just 1 meter too far back of him all hell breaks lose and you can quickly get overwhelmed.  By fighting him the way you describe it certainly made his demise easier.  I think in the difficulty level I'm playing, lowest, I need 8 SSG shots to down him.  The real fun comes when there's 8-10 other AI fighting around you and the Marauder!!!

5 hours ago, Raptomex said:

The Marauder isn't that bad but it can be a pain if you're being attacked by other enemies while trying to focus on him. I do find that his ability to block everything (including BFG and Unmakyr shots, even Crucible strikes) is a bit ridiculous.

You could use that to your advantage with the BFG, fire the thing past him and unload as many SSG or Ballista shots to his back.

That's how I destroyed him in the Nekravol secret encounter.

DONE!!! I have just finished the game, and all I can say is that the Marauder was a goddamned pain-in-the-ass through and through, that fucking wolf he spawns gave me endless grief.

10 hours ago, TheRedTide said:

DONE!!! I have just finished the game, and all I can say is that the Marauder was a goddamned pain-in-the-ass through and through, that fucking wolf he spawns gave me endless grief.

I've only faced 2 of them and already dred fighting what I can imagine is next.  I'm hoping I'll at least only see 1 at a time, but I'm doubting I'll be that lucky.

Just now, force58 said:

I've only faced 2 of them and already dred fighting what I can imagine is next.  I'm hoping I'll at least only see 1 at a time, but I'm doubting I'll be that lucky.

Luckily I never seen more than one of them at a time in my full playthrough in UV.

It's possible that Arch-Viles will spawn them on NM.

To me, my pet peeve with the Marauder is that he doesn't really feel like an "anti-Doomguy".

Besides his design and gameplay only containing some elements associated with DG, he doesn't feel like he reaches that "Vergil to Doomguy's Dante" area.

I also remember hearing that he's the same Marauder that keeps showing up, despite Marauders being confirmed to be a type.

Because of that, he should have lines of dialogue in most of his appearences, taunting you while fighting.

Specially unique ones that could have something to do with the story.

He talks in his first fight and that's it.

I feel like an evil Doomguy could be someone wearing a similar armor (whether it's Praetor or classic, but demonic), with similar gameplay (like a Quake 3/deathmatch/multiplayer bot with some differences) and the lore being Doomguy's military instructor from Doom 1's manual turning out to be evil or something.

7 hours ago, whatup876 said:

and the lore being Doomguy's military instructor from Doom 1's manual turning out to be evil or something. 

That was a "superior officer" mentioned in Doom 1's manual.

Doomguy's military instructor is Crash (according to Quake 3), and I don't think she's evil.

The marauder isn't too difficult once you get the hang of his patterns and how close you can get to him without being attacked. There's a gore nest challenge late in the game that requires you to kill a marauder in half a minute, and after completing that on nightmare, I felt way more comfortable anticipating his green eyes, as well as what attack usually precedes it. He also has a habit of charging you at a distance which leaves him open to attack. 

So, this showed up in my Recommended feed:

Some interesting tips in here that I wasn't aware of, might help some others struggling with this arsehole.

It took me five tries to beat the first Marauder but I don't think I've died to one since. I don't understand all the anger about them. It's good to have some variety in combat!

Honestly the Gladiator is much harder for me. I really suck at dodging those second phase wave attacks.

15 hours ago, AtimZarr1 said:

That was a "superior officer" mentioned in Doom 1's manual.

Doomguy's military instructor is Crash (according to Quake 3), and I don't think she's evil.

Got it wrong, oops.

I wonder when Crash and Phobos would end up as characters in DE.

First encounter is quite hard, I first beat him on UV and it kill me some times, but after that, you get to understand the mechanics quite easy. He is hard, thats a fact, but not some sort of extremely hard buff dude like people in youtube make him look. I really enjoy the fights, its one tough but smart guy.

The wolfs are actually the most annoying part for me.

I'm stuck at the opening of Taras Nabad, the checkpoint is right when the Marauder comes after me and I have no time to prepare! I think I'm stuck! Well, I AM stuck, he's pwned me half a dozen times in 10 minutes already. That DAMN DOG of his!! Not to mention the flamethrower zombies, etc!

7 minutes ago, Foebane72 said:

I'm stuck at the opening of Taras Nabad, the checkpoint is right when the Marauder comes after me and I have no time to prepare! I think I'm stuck! Well, I AM stuck, he's pwned me half a dozen times in 10 minutes already. That DAMN DOG of his!! Not to mention the flamethrower zombies, etc!

Have you tried getting rid of the flamer dudes (mecha-zombies) first? Just shoot them if you have plenty of ammo, or chainsaw them if you don't, but leave alive the fodder that don't have any ranged attacks so that you don't have to wait long in case you need health, armour or ammo. Try not to shoot the Marauder's shield, as that makes him release the hounds.

Also, the "remain at medium distance" advice is crap, in my experience. Kite the fucker and let him do the attacking, because the Marauder is actually at his weakest when he is on the offensive.

@Foebane72

Shoot the dog or a frag should work fine. Don't bother with the SSG, you have to be too close to make it work, making yourself vulnerable to combo attacks. Instead, strafe his energy slashes, take his SSG shot if you have to (not too damaging), and kite him. Use your strafe to line up the ballista shots when he turns green. One hit will stagger him, providing enough time to hit him a second time. A few repetitions of that and he's toast. 

This is advice from a someone who used to loathe dealing with this guy. 

19 minutes ago, NoXion said:

Also, the "remain at medium distance" advice is crap, in my experience. Kite the fucker and let him do the attacking, because the Marauder is actually at his weakest when he is on the offensive.

11 minutes ago, Job said:

Shoot the dog or a frag should work fine. Don't bother with the SSG, you have to be too close to make it work, making yourself vulnerable to combo attacks. Instead, strafe his energy slashes, take his SSG shot if you have to (not too damaging), and kite him. Use your strafe to line up the ballista shots when he turns green. One hit will stagger him, providing enough time to hit him a second time. A few repetitions of that and he's toast. 

This is advice from a someone who used to loathe dealing with this guy. 

Kite? What does that mean in this game? :)

Yep, I have cleared out all the other monsters, mainly the Caco and the flamethrower zombies, but the Marauder is knocking me around and sideways as I do so, which is a pain. Luckily, the dog can be put down with a single regular shotty shot.

In any case, I also followed the guy's advice in the above video and tried splash damage (lots of rockets at his feet) and it also finally did the trick. Bit of a relief, to be honest. I don't know why I'm even bothering with the SSG at distance, when it doesn't really work. No wonder it took me so many shots when I first faced it!

4 minutes ago, Foebane72 said:

Kite? What does that mean in this game? :)

Move away from the target while facing it. He should run after you and when he gets close enough, he'll go for a strike with his axe. You do that because it make him more predictable, and dodging his argent wave attacks is easier than dodging his shotty.

I think half the issue is the lack of player education. The game tells you his combat loop but not what tools to use. You are meant to use quick switch combos against him (it’s literally designed to work that way) but most people end up just using one gun with one shot at a time per shield drop.

Combo the SSG and the Ballista and you delete him in just a few cycles, even faster if you toss a grenade in there. The entire third act of the game is balanced around you doing DPS combos but the game never really talk about them.

I actually rather enjoy my SSG duels with the Marauder. I don't understand how people can say he slows down the game while me and him are dashing in circles around each other.

8 minutes ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

I think half the issue is the lack of player education. The game tells you how combat loop but not what tools to use.

Like most videogames, the point (and what most people enjoy) is the process of learning and discovering these combos yourself. Eternal already goes above and beyond -- in my opinion -- to spoon feed the player all of the relevant information regarding monster weak points.

For those interested, however, this KingDime video shows arguably the most effective combo against the Marauder (killed in 5 seconds basically):

Spoiler

1 hour ago, RonnieJamesDiner said:

Like most videogames, the point (and what most people enjoy) is the process of learning and discovering these combos yourself. Eternal already goes above and beyond -- in my opinion -- to spoon feed the player all of the relevant information regarding monster weak points.

For those interested, however, this KingDime video shows arguably the most effective combo against the Marauder (killed in 5 seconds basically):

Reveal hidden contents

Right, but weapon switching combos themselves are never really brought up at all and lots of people think it’s just an exploit despite being part of the design.

9 hours ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

I think half the issue is the lack of player education. The game tells you his combat loop but not what tools to use. You are meant to use quick switch combos against him (it’s literally designed to work that way) but most people end up just using one gun with one shot at a time per shield drop.

Combo the SSG and the Ballista and you delete him in just a few cycles, even faster if you toss a grenade in there. The entire third act of the game is balanced around you doing DPS combos but the game never really talk about them.

I never used anything else than the SSG, the game simply does not give you time to switch weapons and make that combo, when his eyes flash green i shoot him twice with the SSG and that is it.

9 hours ago, NoXion said:

I actually rather enjoy my SSG duels with the Marauder. I don't understand how people can say he slows down the game while me and him are dashing in circles around each other.

The game is designed around you going forward through the maps as quickly as possible, only to interrupt you with platforming, slimmy floors, lock downs and this enemy which does not let you progress until you deal with it.

4 hours ago, D88M3R said:

I never used anything else than the SSG, the game simply does not give you time to switch weapons and make that combo, when his eyes flash green i shoot him twice with the SSG and that is it.

Get the fast weapon switch upgrade and the switching is basically instant. You can get 3 shots in alternating between weapons each shot before he recovers, cuts the time to kill in half compared to just blasting him with SSG. You can usually get him into a glory kill after just 3 shield drops.

It’s important to not use the weapon wheel either. Even on console where there are not a lot of buttons, there is a still a button to swap to the last weapon used without interacting with the wheel. If you’re on PC, you generally should phase out use of the weapon wheel in general since it’s just a disadvantage compared to key binds, and relying on it does prevent you from properly comboing weapons like the game intends.

Edited by oCrapaCreeper

What I'd like to know is, can the Marauder be hurt when he's just standing there with his shield down, or does it have to be immediately after the green eye flash?

8 hours ago, D88M3R said:

The game is designed around you going forward through the maps as quickly as possible

Is it, though? I don't actually see it myself.

There's plenty of sights to distract you, and while it can be fun to rush through the levels (ARC Complex and Mars Core being the stand-out examples of this), I never got the impression that the entire game was intended by the designers to go by in a blur at breakneck pace.

I mean you said it yourself, there are bits of the game which do, in fact, slow you down. Bits that were purposefully put there.

Also I think you might be confusing the need to stay moving in combat, with an imagined need to keep progressing forward at the maximum possible pace. Indeed the fact that goodies have been put on the maps in out of the way places would seem to reinforce this. There's nothing stopping you from taking your time to collect every secret and bonus instead of coming back for it later with the mission select.

Just now, NoXion said:

Is it, though? I don't actually see it myself.

There's plenty of sights to distract you, and while it can be fun to rush through the levels (ARC Complex and Mars Core being the stand-out examples of this), I never got the impression that the entire game was intended by the designers to go by in a blur at breakneck pace.

I mean you said it yourself, there are bits of the game which do, in fact, slow you down. Bits that were purposefully put there.

Also I think you might be confusing the need to stay moving in combat, with an imagined need to keep progressing forward at the maximum possible pace. Indeed the fact that goodies have been put on the maps in out of the way places would seem to reinforce this. There's nothing stopping you from taking your time to collet every secret and bonus instead of coming back for it later with the mission select.

^ This

Also, even looking through the history of the Doom franchise, from the very beginning, Doom was always a combination of combat and exploration, in nearly perfect 1:1 ratio. In Classic Doom, combat emphasized speed, agility, quick decision making, target prioritization, positioning, enemy kiting, and resource management. Whereas exploration was slow and methodical, lightly puzzle-based, required good spatial memory and also served as an opportunity to gather resources. The modern take, especially Doom Eternal, tweaks the resource management and gathering phases slightly so that they occupy both a place in combat encounters and exploration, but the basic structure of Doom gameplay remains the same. It's not endless combat with no respite - it's just that those moments tend to be most memorable, so people invariably overemphasize the prominence of combat, a type of memory bias, I think.

2 hours ago, Foebane72 said:

What I'd like to know is, can the Marauder be hurt when he's just standing there with his shield down, or does it have to be immediately after the green eye flash?

He can be damaged even without the green flash - during or immediately after doing the axe attack, for instance. He can also be damaged when his shield is up, with a remote detonation, frag grenade or explosive barrel behind him (one of the reasons I prefer the underappreciated remote detonation mod - still one of my favorites). There are a few other methods as well, I believe. For instance, I managed to hit him with the Argent stream of the BFG projectile once because he was in the middle of an animation (I think) which prevented him from blocking it with his shield right away. Come to think of it, if he turns around to block the stream with his shield and presents his back to you, it might give you an opportunity to get in some damage, but I'm not certain on that.