Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

The Marauder didn't seem that bad to me after following the directions

So apparently, people are actually asking for the Marauder to be nerfed or even outright removed.

Here’s a thread on why this is a bad idea:

We don’t want another Mr. X/Nemesis incident, do we?

inb4 "I paid for this game so my Complaints Should always be addressed since its the game experienced im Entitled to have, Marauder is shit just like Mr. X"

Nerfing the Marauder would be a terrible idea. Removing him even more so. I think that all the people saying that the Marauder breaks the flow of the combat are missing the point; he's meant to do that. He's the joker in the pack. He's the flipside to the Slayer's ability to shape the fight by taking out certain demons and/or their weak points. But the Marauder demands particular attention by his very presence.

Well, almost. You can utterly cheese the Marauder in under 30 seconds, if you're very good at building large damage combos during his brief stagger states. I'm not good enough to do that yet, so battles between me and the Marauder are less like one-sided smackdowns and more like duels, at least once I've cleared out whatever riff-raff might be accompanying him.

As the game tells you upfront, he's a defensive powerhouse. What it doesn't say is that the Marauder suuuuucks at actually attacking you, especially if you are good at keeping your distance and not hitting his shield. I see a lot of folks complaining that's counter to everything the last two games have been teaching you but again, I think that's the entire point.

Fighting the Legions of Hell is not for the complacent.

tbh I do vaguely understand the point some commentators made that Mr. X was more in line with what you expect in a survival horror game, but I dunno, I still haven't played eternal due to no money. I'm still on the fence about whether or not I'm going to like the marauder and I won't know for sure until I try it...

I don't expect any petitions about the Marauder to have any big effects though, and that if id's going to make any judgements around the Marauder, they'll be based on responses few months in the future when people have had time to grow more used to them, and the effects of it would only come in future content and games because it's too late to do serious rebalancing to the campaign now. And besides, id has been brutally confident in their design since day 1, I think anything short of the community almost unanimously saying that something is shit is not going to be enough to cause a major change. Yeah, their design's gonna piss some off, but what are you to do? You can't please everyone.

4 hours ago, Man of Doom said:

So apparently, people are actually asking for the Marauder to be nerfed or even outright removed.

Here’s a thread on why this is a bad idea:

We don’t want another Mr. X/Nemesis incident, do we?

Everything this guy said is wrong. Do I care to elaborate? No, I don't, because I already did in other posts some times ago.

7 minutes ago, TheRedTide said:

I think everything this guy said is wrong. 

FTFY 

My only gripe with the Marauder personally is I think his stagger should be more consistent when you hit him during his vulnerability period. Very occasionally he'll power through a super shotgun blast which I don't care for. 

For anyone struggling with the Marauder I highly recommend using the Unmaykr. When his eyes flash green, briefly stun him with the SSG, then quickly swap to the Unmaykr and just unload. You'll usually down him before his shield comes back up at the cost of roughly 11 argent cells. 

6 hours ago, TheRedTide said:

Everything this guy said is wrong. Do I care to elaborate? No, I don't, because I already did in other posts some times ago.

If you actually want to be taken seriously on how he is wrong, then yes, please elaborate or link your response.

with that being said, i doubt iD software are going to do anything substantial to the marauder, let alone remove him from the game.

Good videos, @Ichor and @scalliano

Sorry to others, but it really is a case of think of this differently. He’s a fantastic addition to the game. In fact I might play the final level again and let the archvile spawn a few of them into that massive arena for shits and giggles 

On 4/13/2020 at 3:02 AM, oCrapaCreeper said:

You are meant to use quick switch combos against him (it’s literally designed to work that way)

No not really. There’s lots of ways to kill him. Ichor posted a great video above. Plus grenades and remote detonation all works perfectly.

quick switch is just one way to do it

4 hours ago, Man of Doom said:

I tried this with the first Marauder in Final Sin; can confirm this also works.

Oh wow, it can be that simple and quick? Learned something new today I guess lol.

And when you think that some people want him removed from the game... one great nonsense to tone down the experience for no good reason. Sounds like a classic case of "I don't know how to deal with this enemy, so he needs to be gone". Practice makes perfect, if you don't want to learn, you're never gonna make it through.

15 hours ago, NoXion said:

Fighting the Legions of Hell is not for the complacent.

^ .

The Marauder is the best new addition into the beastiary. He's the big challenge, the rival, the mirror match. You're there to wreck everyone's shit? Well guess what, bucko, he's there to turn the tables on you. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

Is it true there's no SPRINT key in Doom Eternal? Then how come expert players like Decino can move so fast compared to me? They're running around and I'm still slowly walking and getting my ass handed to me!

3 minutes ago, Foebane72 said:

Is it true there's no SPRINT key in Doom Eternal? Then how come expert players like Decino can move so fast compared to me? They're running around and I'm still slowly walking and getting my ass handed to me!

What's your FOV? Higher values look like you're moving faster.

1 hour ago, Allard said:

The Marauder is the best new addition into the beastiary. He's the big challenge, the rival, the mirror match. You're there to wreck everyone's shit? Well guess what, bucko, he's there to turn the tables on you. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

^ Yes, this, 100% this.

Exactly my thoughts on him. He's incredibly unique. The one change I would tolerate is to lower his health just a tad, but I'm not sure even that would be necessary.

15 minutes ago, NoXion said:

What's your FOV? Higher values look like you're moving faster.

The default 90, I think. Maybe it was a power-up? In any case, I've recently re-bound my dash key to the mouse wheel (forward), so I can use it all the time more easily.

When I fought the Marauder first, I ended up using the SSG to kill him. In that Secret Encounter in Taras Nabad, I ended up killing it with that SSG + RL combo, and in the final level, I stood alone and killed it by simply stunning it and managing to maintain a safe distance somehow while not moving.

At least there's that lock-on burst to kill it, but I can't really use it when other enemies are trying to kill me.

10 hours ago, thewormofautumn said:

No not really. There’s lots of ways to kill him. Ichor posted a great video above. Plus grenades and remote detonation all works perfectly.

quick switch is just one way to do it

Quick Switch is the method Hugo said they had in mind and generally how players are supposed to beat third act in general. Obviously you can do other things but the devs designed the whole third act of the game with combos in mind, yet they don’t really explain them at all, outside of a Facebook post...

It's sad Hugo has to spell it out for all the Marauder haters.

Most of those who hate the Marauder hate him simply because they don't fight him properly - they have not honed their skills. Bottom line is - They have not yet attained the level of skill the game is demanding from them. They need to practice.

tbh if there's one thing I find myself questionable about this whole thing, it's this whole thing where apparently everyone was immediately supposed to know about reload canceling and the like, when it's not been been a big deal in any previous doom game (impossible in doom 1-3 since you can't switch weapons mid animation, doable in doom 2016 but why the fuck would you when the gauss cannon was so fucking broken). But now it's a thing in Doom Eternal. Not gonna complain there, I've been watching some Doom Eternal play and I can say I'm 100% behind the way id is evolving the game series, but it does feel like player training suffered a little in some fronts.

I'm glad Hugo Martin is willing to be calm and cool with people in the face of seemingly endless rage and help them figure out what they need to do to succeed. He's a chill, likable guy, and hearing his thoughts on how they designed Eternal are very cool, and probably should be paid heed by anyone looking to do any sort of game design, even if Eternal isn't your particular cup of tea.

I may have been told already, but is Q the weapon switching key as well as the weapon wheel? If so, it's a bit out of my way for my current control keys, and so I think I might bind it to the mouse wheel (roll towards me) in addition to having dash as being the roll away from me option. It might make all the difference.

So, to be clear, select two guns with the number keys or weapon wheel, then the Q key to switch?

1 minute ago, Foebane72 said:

So, to be clear, select two guns with the number keys or weapon wheel, then the Q key to switch?

That's right. Just quickly tap it.

2 hours ago, Foebane72 said:

I think I might bind it to the mouse wheel (roll towards me) in addition to having dash as being the roll away from me option. It might make all the difference.

1 hour ago, NoXion said:

That's right. Just quickly tap it.

Thanks, Noxion, just tried it.

No thanks, Foebane72, you MORON. I can't believe I thought that binding those two actions to the mouse wheel was a good idea. I totally got whammed in the battle with the Marauder when I pulled the sword out of the titan.

So a change is in order. I'll keep the dash key as it is, but I think I'll leave the other half of the wheel unbound, and move the weapon wheel to W.

I'm playing badly lately, it's a miracle I'm getting through the battles. Maybe changing my keys all the time is not helping...? :/

9 minutes ago, Foebane72 said:

Thanks, Noxion, just tried it.

No thanks, Foebane72, you MORON. I can't believe I thought that binding those two actions to the mouse wheel was a good idea. I totally got whammed in the battle with the Marauder when I pulled the sword out of the titan.

So a change is in order. I'll keep the dash key as it is, but I think I'll leave the other half of the wheel unbound, and move the weapon wheel to W.

I'm playing badly lately, it's a miracle I'm getting through the battles. Maybe changing my keys all the time is not helping...? :/

Even after you've started the mission to Nekravol, you can still return to earlier levels to get yourself warmed up for the main mission. You can use the Mission Select option when loading your campaign from the title menu. That should allow you more gameplay space in which you can get used to whatever control scheme you settle on.

I had similar issues earlier on when I swapped the controls for changing weapon mods and using the flame belch. I'm not much of a mod-swapper (I play favourites), but I was just about starting to use the flame belch more often, so there was some confusion.

3 hours ago, Foebane72 said:

Honestly it’s better to practise using the number keys to switch. Q will just toggle between two weapons but I always add a third (SSG, rocket launcher and Ballista). Also handy for when you quickly need to switch to the HAR (4th bind for me), Plasma (5th) or Chaingun (6th.... which seems criminal for how powerful it is but there you go)

Speaking of the Marauder, he should've had the same weapons as the player (or similar ones like the crucible axe vs crucible sword) but with unique alt fires.

Like, instead of the triple rocket lock-on or remote detonate rockets, his RL can do the Cyberdemon/DHunter thing where they fall down to the floor.

Or his Plasma Rifle could have that spinning fire thing around him, like one of the 2016 Hell Guard attacks or the Spider Mastermind's floor shock ability.

Like he also has alt fires for his arsenal but some are unique and may or may not be stronger than the player's weapon mods or at least just different.

With that, he could have the same primary attacks as the player and new/different attacks as well.

But he could still have some basic ones like the micro missiles and shotgun grenades.

Because Doomguy has a lot of things in his arsenal, compared to the Marauder, who has:

* Wolf

* SSG

* Shield

* Axe and a spinning line projectile

* Dashing and advanced/player-like AI movement

And that's it.