Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

The Marauder didn't seem that bad to me after following the directions

I GIVE UP!!

I'm frustrated as hell now as I type this, and it's all because of the Marauder AGAIN! My latest checkpoint is the battle that starts at the Titan after I pull out the sword thingy, and a whole bunch of monsters spawn... and a damn Marauder. I thought of running away from the battle, back to the well I climbed out of, to face him there. It was eerie to see all of the monsters following me, but at one point I did a lot of damage to the Marauder. But the last time I face him, also at the well, was when I had a major problem. There were no zombies for me to chainsaw, and I ran low on ammo. I have a weapon in the form of dash strafing, but ammo is now an issue.

Seriously, I think I'm too old for this game, I'm jealous of players like Decino. I think I may have to resort to cheating and lose my achievements. I just want to finish the game and see what else there is to see.

4 minutes ago, Foebane72 said:

I GIVE UP!!

I'm frustrated as hell now as I type this, and it's all because of the Marauder AGAIN! My latest checkpoint is the battle that starts at the Titan after I pull out the sword thingy, and a whole bunch of monsters spawn... and a damn Marauder. I thought of running away from the battle, back to the well I climbed out of, to face him there. It was eerie to see all of the monsters following me, but at one point I did a lot of damage to the Marauder. But the last time I face him, also at the well, was when I had a major problem. There were no zombies for me to chainsaw, and I ran low on ammo. I have a weapon in the form of dash strafing, but ammo is now an issue.

Seriously, I think I'm too old for this game, I'm jealous of players like Decino. I think I may have to resort to cheating and lose my achievements. I just want to finish the game and see what else there is to see.

To be honest, it never occurred to me that one could leave that little area with the stairs and the jump-pad where that Marauder spawns. Looks like it didn't really occur to the devs either.

Have you tried heading back to that area after eliminating all the non-fodder demons that accompany the Marauder?

I think I ought to, I shouldn't leave it in the first place!

As I've said, I'm looking at Decino's playthrough to get some tips, and it seems the primary tip is to wipe out everything before I get to the snake demon (or whatever it's called) because killing that is what makes the Marauder appear.

1 minute ago, Foebane72 said:

I think I ought to, I shouldn't leave it in the first place!

As I've said, I'm looking at Decino's playthrough to get some tips, and it seems the primary tip is to wipe out everything before I get to the snake demon (or whatever it's called) because killing that is what makes the Marauder appear.

Decino plays Eternal on two whole levels of difficulty higher than I do. I don't think could play on his level, but if you find watching him helps you out, then that's great.

42 minutes ago, NoXion said:

Decino plays Eternal on two whole levels of difficulty higher than I do. I don't think could play on his level, but if you find watching him helps you out, then that's great.

Decino LIED to me. It wasn't the snake demon that I had to leave last, as I found the Marauder on top of me even though I didn't touch him.

Either that, or the next monster to spawn depends on which monster the player has killed before them. I've heard others say this, that there's some hierarchy that the game follows.

Well, I tried again just now and AGAIN got my ass handed to me too often. I honestly feel like giving up on this game. Rage quitting, yes. Unless I can get the upper hand, through fair means or foul...

Decino LIED to me. It wasn't the snake demon that I had to leave last, as I found the Marauder on top of me even though I didn't touch him.

Either that, or the next monster to spawn depends on which monster the player has killed before them. I've heard others say this, that there's some hierarchy that the game follows.

Well, I tried again just now and AGAIN got my ass handed to me too often. I honestly feel like giving up on this game. Rage quitting, yes. Unless I can get the upper hand, through fair means or foul...

You've beaten the Marauder before. Why is it so hard this time? Would it be possible for you to share gameplay footage?

7 minutes ago, NoXion said:

You've beaten the Marauder before. Why is it so hard this time? Would it be possible for you to share gameplay footage?

I can't share gameplay footage. Decino did say this was the hardest Marauder encounter, probably because of the terrain. And I'm still wondering why Decino can move so fast most of the time, his reactions are much faster than mine. I'm still fumbling for the keys half the time. I've not even had practice in the Ripatorium at all, so I'm just learning on the fly.

I don't think I've got all the powerups yet - every now and then there's this weird humming sound which I don't get (not the blood punch, something else) - what could that be?

Also, forgot to mention, but when I fell down the well, the Marauder ended up glitching at the top of it, and I took to sniping him. He sent a few flying blades at me, but then he moved out of sight. Of course, I had to climb back up and that left me open to attack.

I don't think I've got all the powerups yet - every now and then there's this weird humming sound which I don't get (not the blood punch, something else) - what could that be?

Might be one of your runes. Which ones do you have equipped?

6 minutes ago, NoXion said:

Might be one of your runes. Which ones do you have equipped?

I have no idea.

3 minutes ago, Foebane72 said:

I have no idea.

Might wanna take a look at them. Press TAB during gameplay, it should be one of the sections of that menu. Runes are great, My favourites include the one that gives you a speed boost following a glory kill, the one that lets you slow down time when holding down the alt-fire in the air, and the one that gives you more air control.

I imagine fighting the Marauder would be hard without understanding the basic game systems.

I don't understand the flak this guy is getting. It's like no one has played a 3rd person action game in the last 15 years. He fights like he walked right out of a *Souls game. He has both a visual cue and an audio cue to his attacks. He moves in very predictable patterns once you have him in your sights. The dog only releases when his shield takes damage, including enemy fire which can be tricky, but it is possible to go an entire fight without seeing the dog. He also can almost be stun locked by using stickybombs or grenades at his feet, the stun lasts nearly a whole second, plenty of time to ready a weapon and blast him. Also the close range triple rocket blast, which can kill him in seconds. 

The arena at the titan should be no problem, you've got plenty of room and vertical space to take advantage of. Use that hookshot jump on fodder to give yourself space if things get dicey.  

He's a great enemy, shakes up the gameplay just like Archvile did back in Doom2 before any of us knew how to confront him. I even get the same feeling of urgency when you see that red blade go flying by.

Your technique isn't working, do something else. The game has a unbelievably sized toolbox.

Edited by Use

I haven't played Eternal yet (I still have to play 2016 but I am pretty damn lazy with that) but Marauder seemed the most interesting thing they brought up in previews in my opinion. An enemy that is on same level as Doom Slayer..? Who wouldn't want to challenge themselves against a guy like that?

After seeing a friend play it (on Nightmare, blind playthrough) and encounter Marauder for the first time, it definitely looked like a rough fight - but rough in a good way. He had to approach the fight in completely different way and after quite a many attempt, he took him down. And damn, it was satisfying to look at. The next Marauders didn't seem to be that rough to him after he figured out how the big boy operated. It's easy for me to say this since I haven't fought him myself, but people have always complained about things when the game tries to challenge the player in various of ways. I have a personal experience of this in another game; a mod called "No More Room in Hell".

In a nutshell, it's a basic zombie survival horror game where you have to go from location A to B and get extracted. However, if comparing something like Left 4 Dead, you are much slower, you die much faster, and you get infected from bites which effects can only be delayed by medicine for a short moment. If you are about to turn into a zombie due to infection, you either become one or alternatively you help your team and shoot yourself. There's one thing that people really hated about this mod and it was the fact that there was lack of ammo in it. If you found a pistol for example, it usually had only 4-5 shots. You could get more ammo from various places, but it also slows you down even more. Every single melee weapon was capable of one shotting a zombie if you were accurate and you held the attack button long enough, but people refused to learn this and they really wanted to go bang bang as they couldn't get past the first areas of each map. Many threads popped out complaining about lack of ammo and eventually some server operators started using unlimited ammo plugins which took the fun from the mod. Luckily the dev team stood their ground and kept to their vision. (People also complained about child zombies as an unmorale thing to have, but that's another story for another day)

I'm currently being a bit silly and I compare a fast paced action game to a survival horror mod, but these two cases share a similar pattern. Both Marauder and lack of ammo in NMRiH are beautiful things in my eyes, pushing the player to think differently. There have been many other cases in the past (playtesters in Borderlands 1 for example) that proves that you shouldn't always listen to the feedback.

3 hours ago, NoXion said:

Might wanna take a look at them. Press TAB during gameplay, it should be one of the sections of that menu. Runes are great, My favourites include the one that gives you a speed boost following a glory kill, the one that lets you slow down time when holding down the alt-fire in the air, and the one that gives you more air control.

The flying one doesn't seem to do much, not that I've noticed. The glory kill ones may be useful, however. I had three equipped, but I didn't even know they were. There is an "equipment" key, is it that one I have to activate each rune with?

3 hours ago, Use said:

He's a great enemy, shakes up the gameplay just like Archvile did back in Doom2 before any of us knew how to confront him. I even get the same feeling of urgency when you see that red blade go flying by.

The Archvile in Doom 2 is basically a hitscanner who can deal massive damage in a single hit. As long as you use cover a lot, he can't do anything of the sort. And if there is no cover to speak of, a single BFG hit or a few rockets will kill him quickly and he can only attack once, at least.

The Marauder is a pain because it's difficult to walk past it without being beaten to a pulp (if I'm trying to flee) and whilst I've beaten two, they were in wide-open areas, but this third one is in a place filled with rubble and lots of obstacles, not to mention a massive demon body lying around. And I'm trying to destroy the other monsters before it appears, but killing one of them triggers him, and it's impossible to tell as I think it changes from monster to monster.

Face it, I'm stuck, and the game is losing its FUN factor very quickly. Fighting most demons is fun, but not those bastards.

On 4/17/2020 at 12:41 PM, Foebane72 said:

The Archvile in Doom 2 is basically a hitscanner who can deal massive damage in a single hit. As long as you use cover a lot, he can't do anything of the sort. And if there is no cover to speak of, a single BFG hit or a few rockets will kill him quickly and he can only attack once, at least.

Yeah thanks for that, but you've missed my point. I'd go on but it's clear there are aspects of the game you haven't bothered to explore or attempt to understand better like your own runes. As you've found yourself, 'fleeing' from the Marauder is ineffective yet you continue to do so. The game or design isn't at fault to any degree.

Edited by Use

6 hours ago, Foebane72 said:

I GIVE UP!!

I'm frustrated as hell now as I type this, and it's all because of the Marauder AGAIN! My latest checkpoint is the battle that starts at the Titan after I pull out the sword thingy, and a whole bunch of monsters spawn... and a damn Marauder. 

Beating Marauder, a guide for beginners (like me):

1. Know your environment. The area you're describing is very useful and helps you: Stairs, 2 jump pads, 1 open area, 1 hall with two floors. Always move between upstairs and hall. As long as you're in the air, he can't harm you.

2. Kill Whipslashes (ice bomb), Cacodemons (grenade in mouth) and Pain Elementals before attacking the Marauder, because they block your movement. Of course immediately kill his dog too.

3. Take the Balista, wait until he raises his shield, shoot him.

Repeat. That's it.

Tried it once again just now, AND I AM LOSING MY TEMPER.

Seriously, if the game is going to be like this from now on, then I will just cheat, with Cheat Engine or something. I just want to see what is left, and I don't really care if my achievements get wiped out, or if the VAC bans my account (I sincerely doubt that, only for MP) but I keep continuously getting PWNED on this part!

1 minute ago, RonnieJamesDiner said:

You can lower the difficulty setting at any time. Try changing it to I'm Too Young to Die and see if that helps you overcome that specific arena.

I'm already on that. Been on that from the start. I guess I just suck at modern FPS games.

30 minutes ago, Foebane72 said:

Tried it once again just now, AND I AM LOSING MY TEMPER.

Have you read my advices (1 post above yours)? Always move between the upper floor of the hall and the upstairs area, the Marauder won't be able to attack you. After killing the most dangerous enemies wait for him and shoot with Balista or SSG once he rises his shield. Then dash again to higher ground.

Regarding the rest of the game: I'm in mission 11 and only remember one other hard encounter: in mission 10 you meet him together with a Whipslash in a small hallway. Since both fire energy blasts, it's not easy to handle them.

Edit: if I remember correctly there was also a secret encounter with 2 Marauders. Dunno when that happened. 

2 minutes ago, Foebane72 said:

I'm already on that. Been on that from the start. I guess I just suck at modern FPS games.

Ah, fair enough. I wouldn't be so hard on yourself, Doom Eternal doesn't play like many modern First-Person Shooters. It has a very defined learning curve, and likes to smack you around if you don't pay attention to its rules/mechanics and stringently adhere to them. I played on a higher difficulty setting my first time through, but I was genuinely exhausted upon beating the game, and put the game down for a while.

Out of curiosity, did you disable the little tutorials/hint popups? I'm not sure I understand how you managed to reach Taras Nabad and still not know what the runes how, how they work, and where to look at them.

22 minutes ago, igg said:

Have you read my advices (1 post above yours)? Always move between the upper floor of the hall and the upstairs area, the Marauder won't be able to attack you. After killing the most dangerous enemies wait for him and shoot with Balista or SSG once he rises his shield. Then dash again to higher ground.

Regarding the rest of the game: I'm in mission 11 and only remember one other hard encounter: in mission 10 you meet him together with a Whipslash in a small hallway. Since both fire energy blasts, it's not easy to handle them.

Edit: if I remember correctly there was also a secret encounter with 2 Marauders. Dunno when that happened. 

I just tried to follow it, the Marauder followed me up to the upstairs area. Got pwned for the 110th time. In fact, ALL the monsters followed me up, even the damn dog.

And maybe that's a lot for a 47 year old to remember. Fuck this game, I'm outta here, I suck at it!

19 minutes ago, RonnieJamesDiner said:

Out of curiosity, did you disable the little tutorials/hint popups? I'm not sure I understand how you managed to reach Taras Nabad and still not know what the runes how, how they work, and where to look at them.

I saw the runes, I thought ALL of them were operational at once, without me having to do anything. But then I see there's only three slots.

Too early to give up man, defeat the other monsters before 1 on 1-ing him and observe his attack patterns, don't panic, practice makes perfect.

49 minutes ago, Foebane72 said:

I just tried to follow it, the Marauder followed me up to the upstairs area. Got pwned for the 110th time. In fact, ALL the monsters followed me up, even the damn dog.

I'm also not the youngest anymore ;-) Of course switching upper/lower level doesn't give you safety. It just gives you time to look for your next victim and choose the right weapon. You won't be able to take a rest but you will get a few seconds before the next attack. Go upstairs, choose your victim, kill it, jump upstairs again. And always focus on Cacos, Whipslashes and so on.

Use the ice grenade to slow the most dangerous enemies down. Quickly switch to exploding grenades and throw 2 of them at the frozen enemy.

Don't just chainsaw lower tier enemies. Set them on fire and then chainsaw/glory kill them, depending whether you need health or ammo.

Don't rush through the game. You have to train your skills. Whenever I lost more lifes than I gathered I replayed the level until I improved. Doom Eternal is not a game you can rush.

5 minutes ago, sluggard said:

Too early to give up man, defeat the other monsters before 1 on 1-ing him and observe his attack patterns, don't panic, practice makes perfect.

2 minutes ago, igg said:

I'm also not the youngest anymore ;-) Of course switching upper/lower level doesn't give you safety. It just gives you time to look for your next victim and choose the right weapon. You won't be able to take a rest but you will get a few seconds before the next attack. Go upstairs, choose your victim, kill it, jump upstairs again. And always focus on Cacos, Whipslashes and so on.

Use the ice grenade to slow the most dangerous enemies down. Quickly switch to exploding grenades and throw 2 of them at the frozen enemy.

Don't chainsaw lower tier enemies. Set them on fire and then chainsaw/glory kill them, depending whether you need health or ammo.

Don't rush through the game. You have to train your skills. Whenever I lost more lifes than I gathered I replayed the level until I improved. Doom Eternal is not a game you can rush.

I was OK just a couple of maps back, but I think my skills have gone tits up lately. It could be down to rebinding my keys at a late stage. I think I'll just have to shift them back, and maybe put the game aside for a few days or something, or at worst, leave it where it is. I could also just practice on completed stages.

I started the new "age" thread here because I asked Decino how old he was when he made his nightmare playthrough, and he told me he's in his 20s! So I guess I'm too old, or just need practice, or my reflexes are just too slow, or I'm missing something else.

I need a break, I think.

I could also just practice on completed stages. 

Do this, get used to your new keybinds if you really think they are better than the old ones.

I need a break, I think.

But also do this. I find that sleeping on a problem for a couple of nights can help.

@Foebane72

Alright, I just went back through the level on ITYTD to see how the arena plays out and offer a small breakdown, so hopefully this helps a little.

The arena is broken up into 3 distinct phases. I’m discounting zombie fodder, because those spawn perpetually in every arena (for resource farming).

• Phase 1 (immediately following the crucible/titan cutscene): The arena spawns a Cyber-Mancubus, a Dread Knight, and a Prowler. Killing either the Cyber-Manc OR the Dread Knight will start phase 2.

• Phase 2: The arena will spawn a Whiplash, a Cacodemon, and another Prowler. Killing either the Whiplash OR the Cacodemon will start phase 3 (this is where Decino’s info regarding the Whiplash was messing you up).

• Phase 3: The arena will spawn a Marauder, and two Cyber-Fodder*.

*These guys: 

Spoiler

Hi9WHvk.png

Recommendations:

In phase 1, kill the Prowler first – nothing new will spawn, and you can then prioritize between the Cyber-Manc and the Dread Knight (I recommend killing the Cyber-Manc first, because the Dread Knight can be dispatched quickly afterwards, with something like the Chaingun + freeze bomb).

Once phase 2 starts, again kill the Prowler first, to minimize the number of demons in the arena without triggering new spawns. You’ll be left with a Whiplash and a Cacodemon. I recommend killing the Whiplash first, so that only the Cacodemon remains when the Marauder spawns.

Now, very important: You want to kill the two Cyber-Fodders as quickly as possible when they spawn with the Marauder. The reason for this is – the Marauder’s ghost dog only spawns when an attack (a projectile) hits his argent shield. This can be triggered by both you and other monsters. The flurry of red projectiles that the Cyber-Fodders spew out haphazardly is very very good at hitting the Marauder’s shield and triggering the ghost dog. So, to make your life easier, kill those 2 assholes.

You’ll be left with the Marauder. The arena is setup in such a way that you can do a nice loop, between the upper and lower sections. If you’re having trouble fighting the Marauder in a tight circle/space, you’ll want to try running him in a straight line from one end of the arena to the other, using the monkey bar or jump pad to incorporate the upper section in your loop around the arena (which forces him to jump up and then back down in his chase after you, slowing his pace behind you). If you can get him to run a straight line across the arena towards you, he’ll almost always enter his “vulnerable state” (green flashing eyes), and open up for an attack once he reaches you. Run that loop around the arena as many times as you need.

And of course, try to use the other zombie fodder for resources, as you need them.

@Foebane72 I remember this fight. It was a bastard to say the least. My advice is don't be afraid to run away and gather some ammo and health from the lesser enemies when you need too. SSG and the Balista are the key but only when all other major enemies are dead. 

I hope this helps and you beat that son of a bitch soon.

Kill all the heavies first, then lure him away from the fodder. Line him up in your sights at range, dodge his axe throws, and he'll charge you with his axe. Ballista SSG Ballista him.

The problem I have is having the SSG and Ballista weapons pre-selected, and the Marauder would kill me as I did that.

For me, the Ballista is bound to 6 on the top row of the keyboard, and SSG on 5. I'd have to select 5, 6 and then the weapon wheel key. And when I have to select the weapons, I take my hand off the main control keys and then have to immediately put them back. My reflexes are not up to it, I don't think.