Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BluePineapple72

Level Discussion

I wanted to make a thread to discuss the levels in this game. If I was the wiser I would have made a poll for folks to vote for their favorite of the 13 (or 14 if they liked none). I am none the wiser, so no poll.

So! Share with the world your thoughts on the levels! Which one was your favorite? Which one wa the most fun? Which one had the best art or atmosphere? Share away doomworlders!

I think my overall favorite was Mars Core, just pure nonstop adrenaline from start to finish.  The ARC master level is probably my second for the same reasons, and my favorite boss was the Gladiator by far.  Great great game.

I just completed Mars Core last night. Every chapter has been great. My favourite levels so far are Super Gore Nest and ARC Complex. I can tell a lot of love and effort went into crafting these environments. The grandeur and epicness is quite apparent. Gonna get back into the fray here, can’t wait to see what’s next!

Haven't played it myself, but for someone that doesn't care much about spoilers, i don't mind the platforming and think the issue is more about execution than concept.

For some reason, there really isn't a lot of swimming.

I love the Hell on Earth parts, like a Doom game on the Build engine in HD and i hope future DLC's have more of it.

As expected, Hell is more interesting and akin to Doom 64, but i still hope for some variety and elements taken out of Inferno and Classic Hell as a whole, since there's so much you could do with it.

In fact, i hope one of the DLC's literally combines different themes and worlds to create an abstract "dimension merge" level where reality is breaking apart, like those old levels where assets of Earth, UAC and Hell are used in the same level.

Really enjoyed these: ARC Complex, Sentinel Prime, and Nekroval (both parts)

ARC Complex for the music and sense of urgency as you blasted your way to Hayden's base, to finish off with an encounter with the Marauder.

Sentinel Prime, while not a real level, I love its music (from the Sign of Evil ambience to the Gladiator's chorus chanting theme), the flashbacks stood out among the other cutscenes, and I loved fighting the Gladiator in the Sentinel coliseum.

Nekroval mostly just for the environmental design. Looked really metal and like a nightmarish place of torture with all the squished up humans locked up and transported across the base. Very eye-popping compared to 2016's "dried out" look for the Hell levels.

42 minutes ago, AtimZarr1 said:

Really enjoyed these: ARC Complex, Sentinel Prime, and Nekroval (both parts)

ARC Complex for the music and sense of urgency as you blasted your way to Hayden's base, to finish off with an encounter with the Marauder.

Sentinel Prime, while not a real level, I love its music (from the Sign of Evil ambience to the Gladiator's chorus chanting theme), the flashbacks stood out among the other cutscenes, and I loved fighting the Gladiator in the Sentinel coliseum.

Nekroval mostly just for the environmental design. Looked really metal and like a nightmarish place of torture with all the squished up humans locked up and transported across the base. Very eye-popping compared to 2016's "dried out" look for the Hell levels.

I adore Nekroval. It single handedly fixed the problems I had with 16’s hell with the art direction on it. Amazing atmosphere. The soundtrack that played on it was also one of the best. All around great level. Wish it was all one part tho, and I wish Kalibas was more significant. Can’t wait for the master level!

Hebeth was awesome but so quick. 

Urdak was beautiful for visuals and intense for fights, just let down by the platforming (same for Mars Core IMO)

Super Gore Nest was great for the open spaces and the ability to do crazy acrobatics in the air

Final Sin was amazing for the sheer amount of insane arena fights you have to battle through. Shit gets real fast in that level.

The level design in terms of visuals, scale and complexity is just incredible this time! Way beyond what I had hoped or expected! I read some other posts complaining about textures quality, but I honestly don't know what they are talking about. As far as I can see, Id has managed to pull off a staggering amount of complexity and detail, and it's mind boggling that the game still runs at 60 fps on my non-pro PS4. Foundry was the gold standard for me in Doom 2016, and so far EVERY level I've played is EASILY exceeding that benchmark in terms of combat, exploration and visual diversity. And I'm so glad they did away with the monotony of Gore nest triggerred combat arenas, it all flows much more organically. Clearly a lot of hard work and thought has been put into making the systems that allow the levels to flow this way. I think Super Gore Nest has done the best job of showing just how complex, detailed and packed with demons a level can get in DE, though I haven't gotten past it yet.