Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Phobos Anomaly

Elimination of "Hey, Not Too Rough"

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I really wish they would have kept "Hey, Not Too Rough." My brother is playing on Xbone, and he's not the best at the fast-paced action that DE requires. He mostly plays more modern military-style shooters, although he has a lot of nostalgia for Doom from our childhood. So he doesn't have the kind of skills that DE demands. He's playing on "Hurt Me Plenty" but is finding it overwhelming. Since we both have history with Doom, he has always seen "I'm Too Young To Die" as "bitch mode" (in his words). So, even though I advised him that he could turn the difficulty down at any time, he refuses to do so. In Classic Doom, he fluctuated between HMP and HNTR, depending on mapset and map, and how he felt that day, but he would never accept the "shame" of ITYTD. I really wish they would have kept HNTR, because he's just getting frustrated with HMP. I have to wonder why they eliminated this difficulty in D16 and DE.

Has anyone had this same experience? Either themselves or with friends/relatives? 

Share this post


Link to post

The skills do not function the same as in the original games. They just share the name. Tell your brother to stop being a twat.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, ValeriyPipick said:

- Wow, this game is so hard!
- Maybe you should play on easier difficulty?
- No, this is for noobs!

Classic. 

LOLZ

Share this post


Link to post

You can change the difficulty level without having to start the whole game over again. See if you can get your brother to swallow his pride for long enough to give the lower difficulty level a try.

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, LuciferSam86 said:

I'm playing Eternal on ITYTD, and still enjoying it.

 

Exactly. They said they built the game to be an enjoyable challenge for anyone. The best thing is, more practice means better skills, and in time you can dial it up to bring your game to the next level. I played a bit on his Xbone (My PC Collector's Edition is delayed until tomorrow due to weather) and I can definitely tell that HMP is a big step up from D16. Add to that the extra difficulty of playing with a controller and I can see why he's frustrated. Can't wait to rip and tear with keyboard and mouse!

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, ValeriyPipick said:

- Wow, this game is so hard!
- Maybe you should play on easier difficulty?
- No, this is for noobs!

Classic. 

To be fair you gotta admire someone for sticking with the difficulty and trying to power through it even if they're finding it extremely hard.

Share this post


Link to post

Gameplay of Doom Eternal feels good only on highest difficulties, because this game is number of events named as singleplayer campaign.

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, Phobos Anomaly said:

I really wish they would have kept "Hey, Not Too Rough." My brother is playing on Xbone, and he's not the best at the fast-paced action that DE requires. He mostly plays more modern military-style shooters, although he has a lot of nostalgia for Doom from our childhood. So he doesn't have the kind of skills that DE demands. He's playing on "Hurt Me Plenty" but is finding it overwhelming. Since we both have history with Doom, he has always seen "I'm Too Young To Die" as "bitch mode" (in his words). So, even though I advised him that he could turn the difficulty down at any time, he refuses to do so. In Classic Doom, he fluctuated between HMP and HNTR, depending on mapset and map, and how he felt that day, but he would never accept the "shame" of ITYTD. I really wish they would have kept HNTR, because he's just getting frustrated with HMP. I have to wonder why they eliminated this difficulty in D16 and DE.

Has anyone had this same experience? Either themselves or with friends/relatives? 

Well I'm not sure I'd be the one to relate to but I have played shooters all my life (61 now).  I mainly play games like The Division, Borderlands, Destiny (used to play that one, that is), COD of course, and I had to downgrade the difficulty to "I'm too young to die" myself.  I started out at "Hurt me plenty" but it was just too much.  I'm having a hell of a good time as for me its just the right amount of hysteria that I can handle.  There's absolutely no shame in enjoying a game, having fun with it, and if it's more frustrating than fun you won't regret downgrading the difficulty.  Hope it works out for your brother.  Oh, I play on Xbox as well and I really think this game is more suited to a PC as far as twitch controls are concerned.  Let us know what he decides to do.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Art3mis Jinx said:

To be fair you gotta admire someone for sticking with the difficulty and trying to power through it even if they're finding it extremely hard.

To the point of making it so the gameplay is not fun anymore?  There appears to be a fine line there and as I'm getting older I find myself wanting to have fun more than the frustration.  I didn't used to be that way.  I can't tell you how many games I gutted through at higher difficulties just to one-up my buddies.  

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, User Name said:

Doom Eternal will make you a bitch even on ITYTD.

Yes, and I can attest to that...

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Art3mis Jinx said:

To be fair you gotta admire someone for sticking with the difficulty and trying to power through it even if they're finding it extremely hard.

 

If someone enjoys the challenge and wants to struggle against high difficulty, I think that's awesome.

 

If senseless machismo is preventing someone from possibly enjoying a game much more than they currently are, I think that's dumb.

Share this post


Link to post

It sounds more like an inferiority complex to me honestly, if sticking to the highest difficulty is the only thing that gives you gratification and everything else makes you feel like a "loser" ... perhaps it's really time to take a step back and analyze the situation.

 

At any rate, Both 2016 and Eternal are much more difficult and mechanically complex than classic Doom (as in, the IWADs) ever was, so if it's too difficult, cranking down the settings should help. Different difficulties for different skill levels, no point in losing sleep over it.

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, seed said:

It sounds more like an inferiority complex to me honestly, if sticking to the highest difficulty is the only thing that gives you gratification and everything else makes you feel like a "loser" ... perhaps it's really time to take a step back and analyze the situation.

 

At any rate, Both 2016 and Eternal are much more difficult and mechanically complex than classic Doom (as in, the IWADs) ever was, so if it's too difficult, cranking down the settings should help. Different difficulties for different skill levels, no point in losing sleep over it.

Nicely said!

Share this post


Link to post

Well he refuses advice, might as well enjoy his suffering op. Get a large bowl of popcorn, don't use too much salt since he'll be bringing plenty.

Share this post


Link to post

If I ever make a game with difficulty settings, I'll make sure that the lowest two are strictly identical.

Share this post


Link to post

To be fair, your brother isn’t alone. I wish I had a dollar for every time I’ve had/seen this stupid discussion:

 

Noob: “Man, this wad is too hard on UV!”

Me: “Oh, have you tried the lower difficulties?”

Noob: “I ain’t a bitch I can play on UV!”

Me: “But you just said it was too hard on UV..”

Noob: “Ya but UV should be easier!”

Me: “That exists. It’s called HMP, HNTR or ITYTD.. They’re like UV but easier..”

Noob: “but I ain’t a bitch I can handle UV! The devs should have made UV easier!”

Me: “They fucking did! They’re called the easier skill settings for a reason!”

Noob: “But I can handle UV!”

Me: “You just bloody said UV is too hard though..”

Noob: “Ya in this wad, UV should be easier!”

Me: *slams head on desk til brain matter flies everywhere*

 

(Repeat ad nauseam)

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

To be fair, your brother isn’t alone. I wish I had a dollar for every time I’ve had/seen this stupid discussion:

 

Fantabulous.

 

 

(Repeat ad nauseam)

You have the patience of a saint.

Share this post


Link to post

Ah... I tend to play on Hurt Me Plenty because its more enjoyable, and better balanced usually.

 

I guess that's a real secret to people. :P 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Doomkid said:

To be fair, your brother isn’t alone. I wish I had a dollar for every time I’ve had/seen this stupid discussion:

 

Noob: “Man, this wad is too hard on UV!”

Me: “Oh, have you tried the lower difficulties?”

Noob: “I ain’t a bitch I can play on UV!”

Me: “But you just said it was too hard on UV..”

Noob: “Ya but UV should be easier!”

Me: “That exists. It’s called HMP, HNTR or ITYTD.. They’re like UV but easier..”

Noob: “but I ain’t a bitch I can handle UV! The devs should have made UV easier!”

Me: “They fucking did! They’re called the easier skill settings for a reason!”

Noob: “But I can handle UV!”

Me: “You just bloody said UV is too hard though..”

Noob: “Ya in this wad, UV should be easier!”

Me: *slams head on desk til brain matter flies everywhere*

 

(Repeat ad nauseam)

 

These types are idiotically focused on the label of UV. If you changed the just the skill name to HMP with out altering the difficulty they would still be too pig headed to play it.

Share this post


Link to post

Well, I jumped straight into Doom Eternal on nightmare. No preparation, no warmup, no nothing. Took me only around 40 hours to beat the game, had to retry some gates and normal arena fights dozens of times. But I beat it all. I'm only missing the two left-side glory kill achievements for Nekravol right now.

The good thing about Doom Eternal is that even if you have to try so many times, it doesn't get frustrating, because even trying in and of itself is fun. That's the hallmark of a good game. 

Share this post


Link to post

Hey not too rough was eliminated in Doom 2016. The skill levels now just stand for "easy, medium, hard, very hard, holy fucking shit that's hard".

Keep in mind, in original Doom, "I'm too young to die" meant you got double ammo, faced less enemies and took half damage. "Hey not too rough" was the same but with full damage. Now "I'm too young to die" is just weaker and less aggressive enemies - you're actually playing it on hey not to rough or even harder. Tell him that.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×