Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jannak

A major crossover id game?

What if they made a major crossover game that interconnects Doom, Quake, Wolfenstein into a single setting and you play as the Doomslayer?

that would be cool if iD could finally come to grip with the past teams and new teams and all the legal issues and finally create a game that embraces the whole franchise that gave the company its glory.

that's a subject they had in mind since the old days, and in '98 almost created an official mod for Quake 2 where one could play as Wolfenstein/Doom/Quake, with all of the games' original weapons, and on each game's first episode. that was the plan until they had to shut down the project because it was based on the original textures and sounds and didn't warn the development team about it until the mod was halfway completed lol.

44 minutes ago, OleBumma said:

and in '98 almost created an official mod for Quake 2 where one could play as Wolfenstein/Doom/Quake, with all of the games' original weapons, and on each game's first episode. that was the plan until they had to shut down the project because it was based on the original textures and sounds and didn't warn the development team about it until the mod was halfway completed lol.

i think i have that mod, it was actually released, but then got shut down for the reasons you mentioned

also i found a gameplay video of the mod: 

There is also a Q3 sequel called Generations Arena and it still appears to be active as of February 2020.

There's also Quake Champions, but be aware that there's only one guy updating the game since the hired devs fucked off elsewhere.

Anything more than Quake Champions, please.
Would be so in awe to see an actual id crossover game that offers an extensive SP experience instead of only MP stuff.

So, like Super Smash Bros but with ID characters. Later iterations would probably have characters from other FPS games.

Reminds me of Samsara.

I only want a vanilla Doom and Doom 64 hybrid game.

Wolf3D is too simplistic, simple rectangular, flat maps with few textures and flats, few enemies, mostly hitscanners and few weapons, some of which are useless. And Quake is a fully 3D game with very different physics and movement.

6 minutes ago, VGA said:

I only want a vanilla Doom and Doom 64 hybrid game.

I think all of us should think about TC for PC-Doom64...

Shower thought: What if we upscaled Doom sprites and gfx to fit into Retribution? Then we could play maps with Doom *and* D64 weapons, enemies and textures. Any mix of these. 

For anyone that isn't aware, D64 has a taller player, enemies and textures. The scale is bigger. I wonder how the Doom enemies would look when AI-upscaled to correspond to their D64 counterpart's height.

A crossover id game would be nice, I still remembered the three mods with that certain idea, Generations for Quake II but I heard that the mod was halted or I think canned/shutdown due to id Software threatening legal action to the developers of the mod. SOG on the other hand is like Generations but changes were made to avoid legal issues with id (I think an original singleplayer mapset was included if I'm correct).

A multiplayer mod for Quake III Arena was also made in the idea of the whole id Software crossover, I remember seeing this video showing the gameplay footage of the mod.

Edit : Just after reading what @cambreaKer mentioned, yeah indeed, it was shutdown (not really halted)

13 hours ago, cambreaKer said:

i think i have that mod, it was actually released, but then got shut down for the reasons you mentioned

yup. they fed up regular beta releases for some time being (from Sept. '98 to June '99), but it was shut down before a finished release was made.

15 hours ago, Jannak said:

What if they made a major crossover game that interconnects Doom, Quake, Wolfenstein into a single setting and you play as the Doomslayer?

Does this count?

https://www.moddb.com/mods/quake-champions-doom-edition

It not only has characters from ID's games, but many, many others, such as Postal Guy, Gordan Freeman, Duke Nukem, Serious Sam, etc...

It's also a Cacoward winner.

4 hours ago, Master O said:

Does this count?

https://www.moddb.com/mods/quake-champions-doom-edition

It not only has characters from ID's games, but many, many others, such as Postal Guy, Gordan Freeman, Duke Nukem, Serious Sam, etc...

It's also a Cacoward winner.

Well more like I'm thinking less multiplayer focus but more like if all the id games was a extended universe like the DCU or Marvel and all the games take place in a single universe or rather multiverse.

Like for example the Doomslayer visiting areas from Quake and Quake II fighting it's enemies there and such.

Actually this gives me an idea: Super First Person Shooter Brothers

An Arena FPS with FPS characters: Doomguy Doom, Doomslayer Doom, B.J Blazkowicz Wolfenstein, Gordon Freeman Half-Life, Ranger Quake, Serious Sam Serious-Sam, Tracer Overwatch, Captain Macmillan Call-of-Duty-4, James Bond 007, Androxus Paladins, Scout TF2, Chuck L4D, Pilot Titanfall-2, Handsome Jack Borderlands, Artyom Metro, Jack Bioshock, Booker Duwitt Bioshock, Master Chief Halo, Malcolm UT etc

So many possibilities, it'd be the biggest shooter crossover ever!

2 hours ago, ReeseJamPiece said:

An Arena FPS

ZZZzzzZZZzzz

Everyone says they like arena shooters then noone buys or plays any new one.

On 3/22/2020 at 12:46 PM, Jannak said:

I had come up with a design for a game that combined Doomguy, Corvus (Heretic), and the 3 characters from Hexen into a single game. It was mostly deathmatch. I'd still be willing to build it if I could ever figure out how to script for GZDoom. The documentation is too scattered for me.

2 hours ago, VGA said:

ZZZzzzZZZzzz

That's because Quake3 did it right the first time :-) I had considered getting Reflex Arena but they have microtransactions just to get model customization. Quake Champions is OK, but there's no way to create maps for the game (and the battlepass system is just lame IMO). Doom Champions is pretty good though. I think a lot of the problem is that  you need to guarantee that you'll always have players either SP or MP--most of the indie ones don't even come with bots (even bad bots would be acceptable); so you're entirely dependent on the community. I haven't played the newest UT yet, but Quake Champion's bots don't even have an adjustable skill level (that I can find).

IMO--making an arena shooter that stands out requires a likeable art direction, fun weapons (they don't have to be new or unique, but they do have to be "fun"), and the ability to add content to the game (like new maps), newb friendly (for the genre to grow, you need fresh blood, and not everyone is going to be ok with being pulverized all the time), and some kind of bots.

Some multiplayer game genres don't seem to have a problem with a player base, like MOBAs for example.

Also, what new UT game? Didn't Epic abandon it in favour of Fortnite when they hit that jackpot?

When it comes to arena shooters the ceiling is very low. For AAA games, the leader is Quake Champions, for indie games it is Dusk I guess. 

On 3/26/2020 at 1:59 AM, VGA said:

ZZZzzzZZZzzz

Because typical FPS games like Call of Duty take away the spotlight and (at least in my local area) people prefer heavily realistic games. If Quake and Unreal Tournament had maintained it's popularity then we'd be seeing them a lot today but (at least in my local area) people stopped buying Arena FPS games for more realistic ones because it's 'cooler' and more 'mature' to the youth I guess. Even in my city you'll see youths flocking to buy Call of Duty: MW 2019 but 10 copies of Doom Eternal are still on the shelf after 2 days.

TL;DR: Arena FPS has lost it's spotlight (at least in my local area) because kids want to seem more mature and cool in front of their friends by playing more realistic stuff like CoD and Battlefield.