Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

"ISOLATION" speedmapping project - BETA 2 RELEASED

why not just include it as an optional wad

hell do the same with the palette

I'm usually not a big fan of replacing music in Doom levels but then again I have no experience with doing it myself so.. yeah xD Moot point.
What I'm trying to say is: I was contemplating replacing the music on my "Should've Stayed Home" with the song "(Aquarela do) Brasil", as featured in the movie from 1985 "Brazil". 

You might understand what I mean if you know the movie and play my level to the end.

Any thoughts? Copyright concerns? (it's too late now anyways but I might still do it on a solo release of the map)

14 hours ago, Phobus said:

64+ maps, eh? I believe the term I coined for this many moons ago was "hyperWAD". Congratulations @Jimmy, you've spearheaded one. UMAPINFO and one glorious package would be the true winning combination, but I appreciate that kind of limits your ports :P

Okay, this is epic.

This is gonna be incredible based on what I’ve seen here! Just had to pipe up to say so.

16 hours ago, Phobus said:

"hyperWAD"

I still think following the techy nature of Doom, it would be a Gigawad (megabyte -> gigabyte). :P

Good effort everyone. Good bloody luck to Jimmy compiling this. I'd be shocked if you're able to compile this in time for the original April 1st release date you had planned, so don't panic if it takes more time than that, we'd all understand! :)

I had hoped for my map to be play tested on stream for feedback on the combat. Going to make a slight update soon-ish.

8 minutes ago, NeedHealth said:

I had hoped for my map to be play tested on stream for feedback on the combat. Going to make a slight update soon-ish.

Sorry we hadn't got to it. I think Jimmy & I are likely to stream the rest post-release. I don't know what Jimmy's plan is but if I had to guess there would be an RC1/Beta release first, so people can patch up any bugs that're found.

Oh, are you going to stream all of them? If so, would you mind dropping a link in the thread when you do? If i'm able i would love to see it.

Jimmy & I will be playing some of the maps in about an hour's time on twitch, link below. If you're present in the stream, make yourself known in the chat and we'll try to include your map in our playthrough. :)

1 hour ago, Dragonfly said:

If you're present in the stream, make yourself known in the chat and we'll try to include your map in our playthrough. :)

I don't have an account but I sure will be watching, does that count?

Thanks for insightful comments on the stream @Jimmy and @Dragonfly. I've made a few slight modifications to my map as suggested:
- Added teleports from the pit near the exit so it is escapable.
- Made teleporting back to the cavern possible with a teleport behind lowering wall.

- Fixed that odd looking wall near the teleport in the cavern that you were suspecting to be a secret:) Now there are just some pillars. 

facility_lockdown_v2.rar

8 hours ago, Voltcom said:

Damn, I missed the playstream. Was my map played? Wondering if I had any major oversights or missed anything. Feedback as always is appreciated. Also Gez, I hope that modified caco is included, it's truly remarkable...

Your map was not played, we only played maps by people in the stream and didn't even get through the whole of that condensed list! As was confirmed during the stream though, you're welcome to make quick amends to the map to improve it, things like bugfixes, automap cleanup, implementing difficulty settings and what-have-you. :)

@Jimmy: as requested yesterday (based on the review of my level on twitch by @Dragonfly) here's the updated version. Thanks again for testing. It was a lot of fun to watch you guys play. And a bit "cringy" when I realized that some parts in my level were rather uncool.

Changes are described in the attached file but I'll also list them here:

• There are now 2 chances to get the SSG and Minigun (and the pointer towards the secret to get the first SSG has been improved)
  • Also, the way how you get into the room with the first SSG is more obvious now. But also a little more tricky / rewarding.
  • The door leaving the "decontamination room" at the beginning had its linedef flipped, that's why it opened only once (through a W1 action in front of the door) and not when you actually "pressed" the door a second time. Bad oversight on my part. Good thing you guys found it :)
  • Also, I joined the sectors that made up the "barred" door in front of the chainsaw.
  • I made the silver area after the "Imp Room" open up a bit more. Literally xD

I also did some minor brushing up in the process of improving the "secret hints".

All in all this was another.. hour, perhaps.

Here it is, Version "1.1": Zylinderkatze_1.1.zip

Edited by Zylinderkatze

@Jimmy Had to change the room with the first archvile, by adding an extra step to climb. There was a bug where it could see a pixel or two of the player while they where "hiding" from the flames. Things you learn after 6 years of doom mapping.

*Fixed all texture misalignments I could see.

*Cleaned up the automap

*Made the ammo balance better on lower skills.

*Added a berserkpack at the last fight, instead of the soulsphere

*removed a couple radiation suites

*added my calling card ... somewhere.

*changed midi to bluenipple by fookerton

nh_isolation_speedmapC.zip

Addendum (did you just call me dum?):

Music wise, I have no clue what to put. I tried a few versions of "Brazil" (for myself, since I thought it would go nicely with the theme) but aside from the unclear copyright situation with that song, it also just doesn't feel as right as I was hoping it would. 

@JimmyI would be more than pleased if you could come up with something to put, if that is okay with you. Even if it ends up being a sarcastic choice. I think you mentioned that you could / would, if all else fails. So.. consider this a failure on my part ^^;

I would go through MIDI / music WAD lists to check for something I like but I feel like I would get stuck on trying to find something "perfect" and I might further delay the project.. which I really don't want to do. I am currently still "on the clock", home office work wise so I can't dedicate the time to a music search that the music would deserve. For future reference I would be very thankful for pointers / suggestions. But I can also just go on the hunt myself.

Made some changes to my map:

• globally increased light level by 16
  • increased light level of several water sectors even further
  • fixed some sectors not getting the damaging effect after moving
  • gave the DOORBLU2, DOORYEL2, and DOORRED2 walls a brighter appearance
  • gave switch to lower the red key card a glowing appearance like the other switches
  • raised the area around the red skull key a bit to decrease the change of someone SR50 to it
  • some subtle texture changes
  • implemented difficulty settings (HMP is as it was before, UV is harder, ITYTD/HNTR easier)

boris_isolation_v3.zip