Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Question

12 answers to this question

ANIMATED and ANIMDEFS are the ways you can add animated textures. I'm not sure it's possible to animate skies in vanilla compatibility (you could hijack one of the existing animated textures, by putting SKY1 in between, say, FIREBLU1 and FIREBLU2, and use those three textures for your sky animation), even with something like PrBoom I think you'll have to use the MBF sky transfer specials because sky textures are a weird hack and I'm not sure they're animated. MBF sky transfers work by projecting the texture from a wall, so animations there do work (as well as texture scrolling effects and other such cool stuff; you could even make a switch that changes the sky texture).

I am using the the mario themed textures from Mayhem17  they have a bunch of animated skys in it but I am having a hard time figuring out how exactaly they animated them and I cant find any clues in the wad. The textures animate correctly when they are on walls and stuff but stop animating once i put them in the sky...

On 3/22/2020 at 11:30 PM, Gez said:

MBF sky transfers work by projecting the texture from a wall

I will look into how to do that I suspect that Is how they did it.

On 3/23/2020 at 12:30 PM, Gez said:

MBF sky transfers work by projecting the texture from a wall, so animations there do work (as well as texture scrolling effects and other such cool stuff; you could even make a switch that changes the sky texture).

Bump, @Gez i'm looking for a way to change the sky ingame for a CL9 map. Could you explain how to pull it off via switch.

1 hour ago, tourniquet said:

Bump, @Gez i'm looking for a way to change the sky ingame for a CL9 map. Could you explain how to pull it off via switch.

Not sure what kind of method Gez had in mind, but one way I can think of accomplishing a dynamic sky change in Boom/MBF format is to surround the sky sectors with an outer layer of sky sectors that are initially hidden, and contain a different sky. Then a switch can be used to raise the ceiling of those outer layer sectors, overriding the sky of the sectors that these sectors surround. This trick will probably only work in specific setups where the sky is continuous throughout the entire area, and there are no roofs/ceilings or walls interrupting it. I attached an example map to my post.

boom_switch_change_sky_trick.zip

Sorry for not being more specific. Your solution would work well, however in my case it's a void map completely surrounded by sky, both ceiling and floor. Changing the boundary sky is not the issue but rather changing ceiling and floor skies which directly adjoin/surround the playable areas of the map. Thanks for your suggestion & the example. Not sure if it's actually possible to change those or generally change a transferred sky.

On 3/23/2020 at 2:30 PM, Gez said:

you could even make a switch that changes the sky texture

How? The linedef has only one action

EDIT:

lol I didn't read the post below

23 minutes ago, Gez said:

Sorry, I don't have a better trick than Worst.

That's alright, guess i'll just scrap that idea. Just for clarification @Worst method works very well however you have to live with some weird sky artifacts, above and below the map which kinda ruins the gimmick in my case. But thanks for the help and suggestions.

doom15.png.242e35fd2f6c1cc4c063f71ba9c6ef4a.png

On 3/23/2020 at 11:30 AM, Gez said:

MBF sky transfers work by projecting the texture from a wall, so animations there do work (as well as texture scrolling effects and other such cool stuff; you could even make a switch that changes the sky texture).

Would projecting from linedef with a G1 shootable switch work then, thus using the switch animation itself to change the texture? Encouraging the player to shoot at the switch though, another matter... plus you'd have to conceal it with a midtex.

Ah wait, I think I've misunderstood. Do you mean literally projecting from a wall, so that the floor and ceiling can't be changed, as per Tourniquet's pic?

Edited by holaareola

23 minutes ago, holaareola said:

Would projecting from linedef with a G1 shootable switch work then, thus using the switch animation itself to change the texture?

No, because your line needs to have the 271 or 272 special on it to project a sky, so it can't have another special as well. So that breaks the easy idea of literally using a switch texture as your sky so it can be the "off" sky first and the "on" sky once activated...

2 hours ago, tourniquet said:

Sorry for not being more specific. Your solution would work well, however in my case it's a void map completely surrounded by sky, both ceiling and floor. Changing the boundary sky is not the issue but rather changing ceiling and floor skies which directly adjoin/surround the playable areas of the map. Thanks for your suggestion & the example. Not sure if it's actually possible to change those or generally change a transferred sky.

I made another test map, which uses single color flats and sky textures that are crafted to blend with them, to get a sort of a compromise solution to changing also the ground 'sky', but in this case it is just an illusion. This trick is also limited to setups where there are no ceilings breaking the continuous sky, so looking at your screenshot, it's probably not going to work for you though.

Spoiler

2E1OSrw.gif

boom_switch_change_voidsky_test.zip

27 minutes ago, Worst said:

I made another test map

Damn, that's a really nifty solution. Not sure if it's eligible for my map, i have to do some testing but even if not then i'll certainly use it for something else, in the future. Cheers for your help.