Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Brock

Ports for Doom 64?

The official remaster by Nightdive, the older Doom 64 EX, and DZDoom (formerly GEC Master Edition).

3 hours ago, Finnthemapmaker said:

Are there any ports from Doom 64?

Like Seed said.

Nightdive's official Doom64 release, Kaiser is in the DevTeam. Doom 64 EX by.. Kaiser, most faithful of the 64 ports, probably going to be left untouched since he's working on the Official release.

Absolution (Doomsday) being the first of the ports of the game, it's not the most upkept project. Doom 64 Retribution (gzdoom) was the better variant of the ports being able to handle the scripts 64 had, but still fell short.

Any map editing for EX is now for 64, since the same software can be used, and it is a legit platform vs gray area of people obtaining a 64 rom for EX.

The Nightdive version is exactly the same (but better built and faithful) to OG 64. You don't need jumping or freelook, just use of the mouse for turning works out.

Save function similar, except Nightdive's warns you of overwriting a save (which is nice), but you can't rename the save file. But that is fine.

Quicksaving has it's own slot (F6). Pressing it on EX brings up save menu akin to Doom1/2. Quicksaving saves more time.

EX does not have new official levels made. Nightdive's does, few episode long Lost Levels campaign.

1 hour ago, therektafire said:

What features does it have compared to doom64 EX

It is more faithful in gameplay and visuals. It also has a new episode with more story.

If you *need* freelook, you should know that it doesn't have it.

43 minutes ago, VGA said:

If you *need* freelook, you should know that it doesn't have it.

You also don't need freelook, so that solves that problem. :P

Differences between Doom 64 EX 2.5 versus the official remaster

Apparently I’ve been seeing this question pop up pretty damn frequently so I will be posting a list of the more significant differences to be found in the official remaster compared to EX 2.5. Please feel free to share this, as I am tired of having to answer this question myself!

I apologize in advance if some of these things sound too technical. Because most of them are.

Uses the newest version of Kex Engine for its framework. It was necessary since it’s already scalable across multiple platforms. This does not affect the game in any way and the game logic for Doom 64 remains intact.

Up/down look and jumping removed. The goal was to keep this release of Doom 64 as ‘Vanilla’ as possible, plus it saves the issues when having to deal with the sky and player getting stuck in levels.

Switched to a shader pipeline-based renderer. Again, this was something that was necessary as modern graphic APIs now do not support the features that Doom 64 EX relied on (legacy OpenGL features like texture combiners, etc). All effects are now driven by pixel shaders.

Depth buffer is no longer used and instead now follows how the original game rendered the scene. This means that sprites will no longer be cut off by floors or walls depending on the order of subsector draws. Additionally, sprites are now fragmented based on the subsectors they overlap

Better awareness for widescreen aspects

3-point texture filtering emulation

The way clouds were rendered is now correct

Demos now work, including the hidden hectic demo and intro map (there are some side-by-side comparison videos on youtube)

The timings of some executed scripted events were off by 1 frame. This is now corrected in the official release. Good examples are the blue key door in Breakdown and the scripted areas in Main Engineering. Compare the two and you’ll see what I mean.

Non-player objects have slower gravity (they fall down %25 slower than the player)

The entire original collision detection is now retained in this release, this includes all bugs (was needed for demos to sync correctly)

Projectiles fired from the player will immediately explode if the player is ~5 units away from a wall (not sure why Midway did this, but was needed for demos to work)

Monsters are now able to trigger linedef specials flagged as ‘death trigger’. Flag seemed to be multi-purpose, but monsters are now able to trigger the dart traps in Even Simpler

Logic for light strobing and glow effects were wrong – corrected in this release – also needed to make demos work

Logic for doors and platforms were wrong – ‘RaiseToNearest and RaiseAndChange’ were suppose to move at half the speed

Logic for perpetual platforms were wrong – Used a different randomization logic – needed to make demos work

Additional brightness setting in addition to the game’s original brightness setting. It applies an additive layer over the screen to increase the brightness even further

Automap controls is now idential to the original (hold use button to pan around)

Wav files are now used for sfx playback instead of MIDI

Shitty Wordpress required an account, I quoted the text above but the formatting is screwed. It is more readable in the link posted above.

FIFY in this case:

Differences between Doom 64 EX 2.5 versus the official remaster:

Apparently I've been seeing this question pop up pretty damn frequently so I will be posting a list of the more significant differences to be found in the official remaster compared to EX 2.5. Please feel free to share this, as I am tired of having to answer this question myself!

I apologize in advance if some of these things sound too technical. Because most of them are.

• Uses the newest version of KEX Engine for its framework. It was necessary since it's already scalable across multiple platforms. This does not affect the game in any way and the game logic for Doom 64 remains intact.
  • Up/down look and jumping removed. The goal was to keep this release of Doom 64 as "Vanilla" as possible, plus it saves the issues when having to deal with the sky and player getting stuck in levels.
  • Switched to a shader pipeline-based renderer. Again, this was something that was necessary as modern graphic APIs now do not support the features that Doom 64 EX relied on (legacy OpenGL features like texture combiners, etc). All effects are now driven by pixel shaders.
  • Depth buffer is no longer used and instead now follows how the original game rendered the scene. This means that sprites will no longer be cut off by floors or walls depending on the order of subsector draws. Additionally, sprites are now fragmented based on the subsectors they overlap.
  • Better awareness for widescreen aspects.
  • 3-point bilinear texture filtering emulation.
  • The way clouds are rendered is now correct.
  • Demos now work, including the hidden Hectic demo and Intro map (There are some side-by-side comparison videos on Youtube).
  • The timing of some executed scripted events were off by 1 frame. This is now corrected in the official release. Good examples are the blue key door in Breakdown and the scripted areas in Main Engineering. Compare the two and you’ll see what I mean.
  • Non-player objects have lower gravity (they fall down 25% slower than the player).
  • The entire original collision detection is now retained in this release. This includes all bugs (Needed for demos to sync correctly).
  • Projectiles fired by the player will immediately explode if the player is ~5 units away from a wall. (Not sure why Midway did this, but it was needed for demos to work).
  • Monsters are now able to trigger linedef specials flagged as "death trigger". The flag seemed to be multi-purpose, but monsters are now able to trigger the dart traps in Even Simpler.
  • Logic for light strobing and glow effects were wrong – Corrected in this release. Also needed to make demos work.
  • Logic for doors and platforms were wrong – "RaiseToNearest" and "RaiseAndChange" were supposed to move at half the speed.
  • Logic for perpetual platforms were wrong – Used a different randomization logic. Also needed to make demos work.
  • Additional Brightness setting in addition to the game's original Brightness setting. It applies an additive layer over the screen to increase the brightness even further.
  • Automap controls are now identical to the original - (Hold "Use" button to pan around).
  • .WAV files are now used for sound effects playback instead of MIDI.
Edited by seed

6 minutes ago, Agentbromsnor said:

"Available for the first time ever on PC"

Haha, whew.

In an official and extremely faithful capacity?

Yes, well, it definitely is the first time it sees that.

Just now, seed said:

In an official and faithful capacity?

Yes, well, it definitely is the first time it sees that.

I think this is a little bit dismissive of Kaiser's earlier work on the engine, but whatever.

Just now, Agentbromsnor said:

I think this is a little bit dismissive of Kaiser's earlier work on the engine, but whatever.

Uh, no, not at all, I think you're getting my point wrong.

What I meant was that EX, DZDoom et all were great, definitely, but were not perfect - and definitely not demo compatible. They were also not official ports/remasters either, unlike this one, hence why it was advertised as such.

10 minutes ago, seed said:

Uh, no, not at all, I think you're getting my point wrong.

What I meant was that EX, DZDoom et all were great, definitely, but were not perfect - and definitely not demo compatible. They were also not official ports/remasters either, unlike this one, hence why it was advertised as such.

Okay, but that has literally nothing to do with availability... It was available on PC before, no matter how buggy or incomplete. Therefore, this advertising is poorly worded at best.

3 hours ago, Agentbromsnor said:

Okay, but that has literally nothing to do with availability... It was available on PC before, no matter how buggy or incomplete. Therefore, this advertising is poorly worded at best.

Its official PR speak. And in the official capacity, yes, it is available for the first time.

Unofficially, it has been available for several years - Whether as a mod or as Doom64EX.

But the PR speak is just standard terminology. Its only poorly worded because unofficial versions already exist for some time. A regular joe though likely has no idea about these.

4 hours ago, Agentbromsnor said:

Copyright holders ignore fanmade efforts. I mean if the Metroid Prime trilogy was released on PC they would market it the same way, do you think they would acknowledge Primehack?

9 hours ago, Agentbromsnor said:

Given Kaiser made this port, I can 100% guarantee you he doesn't care. Please stop worrying about Kaiser.

Just registered here to make some posts regarding Doom 64. Had an account here years ago but lost it between moving and dealing with life.

The new version on Steam is quite well done. I've also played Doom 64: Retribution and the EX version. 

Big thanks to Kaiser for all of his work over the years. He's done a superb job with what is my favorite game of the series. 

One of the key differences between the newly released version on Steam and the EX version is having brightness adjusters for the environment and overall brightness. You can make this game look as dark as it did on the N64 or set it to your personal liking. 

Haven't finished the lost levels yet, but enjoying them. The music also sounds much better than it did in any of the unofficial ports, sounds like there was some proper remastering of audio there. 

4 hours ago, 3DMaster said:

Does no one here know about Brutal Doom 64:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom-64

That is a mod that is not meant to be faithful at all. It changes gameplay and maps. It is not really a port or recreation of Doom 64 when even the maps are modified.

There's plenty of changes to maps of Doom ports to the consoles back in the day, that doesn't make it not a port.

1 hour ago, 3DMaster said:

There's plenty of changes to maps of Doom ports to the consoles back in the day, that doesn't make it not a port.

It's not a port because it doesn't port anything, rather it's a mod because it modifies existing content (by ripping all the assets from Doom64, Blood and various other sources in blatant disregard of copyright). Ports require their own executable, mods use an existing executable. Case closed. 

Is it possible to run Doom 64 custom levels through the official port by Nightdive, and if so, where would I find these levels?

Edited by FrogMaster

1 hour ago, FrogMaster said:

Is it possible to run Doom 64 custom levels through the official port by Nightdive, and if so, where would I find these levels?

Yes! It is partially compatible with some EX levels (there's still some incompatibilities in some ways), and after its next patch it will be more compatible. But here is new level which is fully compatible:

Once the next patch is out, I will test out more EX levels and if I have good luck I think I will get a topic going assembling links to compatible levels.

Edited by Immorpher