Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Captain Red

Post your demos!

After watching Romero’s E1 demos, it got me thinking about the playing styles of doomers out there. If any of you wouldn't mind posting a quick demo of yourself on any of the default doom/2/final maps under the source port of your choice just to compare the playing styles of people out there.

It doesn’t have to be speed running, or maxed out items, secrets, and monsters, (you can if you want) just play it as you normally would play doom.

Any map, SP or DM, just as long as it’s one of the original doom/2/final maps. Who knows? We might learn something from each other.

PS I'll post some of mine just as soon as I can find somewhere to host it.

Where would you suggest we put them? The usual, or you have somewhere special in mind?

Hm, now I have to think of what UD/D2 level I want to play. Dagnabit. I want to do a runthrough of my Grind2.wad =P

To start the ball rolling, here's a Doom2 map10 using Legacy 1.32b4, fortunately all recent Legacys seem lmp compatable with each other so v1.40 is fine to view. The lmp is nothing special, 100%kills and a few months old, heh.

magikal said:

fortunately all recent Legacys seem lmp compatable with each other

I don't think that's true. 1.32b5 and 1.40rc1 did not seem compatible at all, while I have found that quite a few 1.32b4 demos don't play back correctly with newer versions. I'd always test a 1.32b4 demo with newer versions before releasing it (which you may very well have done in this case, of course).

What I have found is that 1.32b5 and 1.40a do seem to be very compatible. Also, the -timedemo option (at least when used via the launcher) seems quite reliable in 1.40a.

I'll do a demo when I get home with ZDoom. I'll upload it to my site for now. I just have to think of a level I like that I'd want to play. It will probably be UD since I prefer those. Hm. How about... E2M8? No, that wouldn't be as interesting. I'd just be fighting a Cyberdemon. Maybe E4M1?

If you like recording demos you can send them to the site Searcher mentioned. They accept single player PWAD demos using any engine. I haven't seen a site that hosts IWAD demos like that though.

If you like the idea of fighting a Cyberdemon but would like something more you could record e4m6, asuming Randy Heit already fixed the rising door bug found there on zdoom v1.22.

myk said:

If you like the idea of fighting a Cyberdemon but would like something more you could record e4m6, asuming Randy Heit already fixed the rising door bug found there on zdoom v1.22.

I'm good at Doom, but not THAT good. Most of the E4 levels are difficult for me. Although I did get to E4M6 on UV and was going to see if I could finish it, but I quit playing. I'm thinking either E4M1 or possibly M2.

Yeah, I had forgotten there's a cybie in e4m2 as well, but he's easier to take care of.

Grazza said:

I don't think that's true. 1.32b5 and 1.40rc1 did not seem compatible at all, while I have found that quite a few 1.32b4 demos don't play back correctly with newer versions. I'd always test a 1.32b4 demo with newer versions before releasing it (which you may very well have done in this case, of course).

What I have found is that 1.32b5 and 1.40a do seem to be very compatible. Also, the -timedemo option (at least when used via the launcher) seems quite reliable in 1.40a.

Yep, I tested it. I'm suprised you've had so much trouble, maybe I've been lucky, but you're right they're not completely compatable. Between b4, b5 and 1.40, out of about 50 lmps, compatability-wise, I've had trouble with 2.

Heh, just recorded an E1M7 UV demo, using ZDoom b33, now if someone would host it for me...

DooMBoy said:

Heh, just recorded an E1M7 UV demo, using ZDoom b33, now if someone would host it for me...

Does it playback ok? I don't think so...use 1.22.

It desynced when I attempted to play it back....guess I'll dl 1.22 again.

DooMBoy said:

It desynced when I attempted to play it back....guess I'll dl 1.22 again.

Also you'll notice b.33 playback is not UV. Lemme know when you've recorded, I can host.

magikal: recorded a HMP E1M7 and a -nomonsters demo. I'm going to record more here in a bit.

EDIT: Just did a UVE1M1 .lmp.

DooMBoy said:

magikal: recorded a HMP E1M7 and a -nomonsters demo. I'm going to record more here in a bit.

EDIT: Just did a UVE1M1 .lmp.

Send it an' I'll shove it up with a link.:)

magikal said:

Send it an' I'll shove it up with a link.:)

Hee hee, they have been sent to your e-mail :)

magikal said:

Between b4, b5 and 1.40, out of about 50 lmps, compatibility-wise, I've had trouble with 2.

Yes, by far the biggest problems have been with 1.40rc1. Still, I've had a bigger percentage of problems with b4 than you have (see my PDG_PDQ9.zip for some details - in that I state which they work with, and which they don't).

Ultimate DooMer said:

Is there going to be a site we can all put them on, or should I just put them on my site?

I don't know of any pre-existing site. SDA is for (good) pwad demos, while compet-n and Public DANG are for 1337 demos, rather than just "playing normally".

I've never recorded any iwad demos. I can't get close to the compet-n times, and I've watched so many demos on these maps that the idea of "playing them normally" seems a bit odd. If you want to see me playing normally, then of the demos I've made public, this is as close as you'll get, but they're not on an iwad. They are all first exits (apart from the one on map24), but not first plays.

Grazza said:

SDA is for (good) pwad demos, [...]

The SDA should be the place to send practically any PWAD demos, since there aren't requirements in relation to how fast you have to complete a map, or any necessary goals. And you can use any engine that plays back properly.

In my view it would be silly to start another site for supposedly "not good" PWAD demos. An IWAD demo site that allows generic demos (of any engine) doesn't exist, though, and might be a good addition to the "community" if someone wishes to host it.

Grazza said:

[...]compet-n and Public DANG are for 1337 demos, rather than just "playing normally".

Compet-n is exclusively "1337", indeed, but Public DANG is only relatively so, inasmuch as it accepts only v1.9 demos of certain competition categories, but without requiring to break any existing records (except your own, eventually.)

Guess I've been lucky with Legacy and lmps. I managed one with ZDoom too, especially difficult as it kept crashing.
I think the idea of the thread is to compare source port styles, which is interesting. Especially after watching Romero's style in his supurb lmps.
DooMBoy they're up E1M7.

myk said:

The SDA should be the place to send practically any PWAD demos

Yes, OK, my parenthetical "good" was an afterthought (my main point was that it was for pwad demos, rather than iwad demos), partly to make sure there wasn't any suggestion that SDA was some sort of dumping ground for sub-standard demos. And I think it's true that while Opulent's stated policy is to accept almost any pwad demo, on the whole the site is there for demos that achieve some sort of task (first demo on a map; best demo yet on a map in some category; a demo on a map that is very difficult to complete at all, etc.). At least, most of the demos that do appear at SDA are of that type.

Actually, I wonder what Opulent's reason is for having his site pwad-only.

Regarding Public DANG, I checked out that site before posting here, and judging from the names of the people involved, and the times/tasks being accomplished, I assessed it as at least fairly 1337.

Grazza, the only real requirements are finishing the map and not using something weird... like cheat codes. It's true that most demos are pretty good, but not all are records or first recordings. Opulent uses, after all, ratings for the recordings so that you can get an idea of what you're about to watch, so if someone sent a really slow and boring demo he'd just give it a low rating.

I agree that also accepting IWAD demos would not hurt the site.

Grazza said:

Actually, I wonder what Opulent's reason is for having his site pwad-only.

It would mean a lot more lmps for one and once you've watched the best at Compet-N it's pretty pointless. Although best lmps with a source port would be interesting but then they keep changing and lmp compatability becomes an issue over time.
Nice work U.D., smoooth keyboarding stylee.:)
What did you record the lmps with DooMBoy, I can't seem to play them?

magikal: I've e-mailed you a demo I just recorded: Map 28 NM in 1:32. You're welcome to post it on your site if you wish. Plays back with Legacy 1.40. Nothing special; the invuls make this quite an easy run.

Okay, I tried demos of E4M2 and kept dying one way or another (I always have to save on this level at least once), the one of E4M1 kept desyncing, the one of E2M8 did the same thing, and the one of E2M9 was rather boring. Other than that, I couldn't think of what level to do. I'm not as experienced with Doom II levels. I would do them in ZDoom only I don't want to download an older version. The ones I was doing were in Legacy.

/me watches magikal's demo.

Uh... if I ever decide to deathmatch magikal, someone be sure and remind me I'm an idiot.

That was COOL.

Y thank you. Check out some of the other lmps at my page. I would say my style's frantic but I hang on in. DooMBoy I managed to playback the nomoe1m7. Very fast and very smooth, cool.
I'd love to see a e2m8, one of my faves. Good luck.:)