Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Captain Red

Post your demos!

Nanami said:

Geez, why is everyone god compared to me? =P I could never make a run like that.

I'm sure when you have practised as much and made as many attempts on these maps as the compet-n guys have, your demos will look pretty god-like too. If you read the text-files accompanying those demos, you'll see that they are often the product of dozens or even hundreds of attempts.

Hey everybody!!

http://xfury.net/doom ^_^

We're working on it. It's just a page and the files so far. We'll add pages so you can see a chart of players, levels, times, modes, etc. Different pages for Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom, pwads, and other junk. It'll be organized EVENTUALLY. If there are any files I'm missing, let me know and gimme a link. Or if you want to remove anything, also let me know.

Kara@xfury.net

Magikal, e-mail me. =)

Oh, and yes, I renamed all those files. My fingers hurt. Ow. =P

Grazza!

I've completed lmps for all ten maps of iditarod and sent them to Opulent.

Oh yeah, I also forgot. From now on if you have demos, don't send them to Opulent. Send 'em here: Kara@xfury.net

Magikal would probably review demos and stuff as well, but I'll have to ask him first.

Nanami said:

That prBoom demo desynced on me. It was fine until he fell into the grass pit near the start and was killed by Mancubuses.

OK, I think I know what the problem was. Did you use "-iwad doom2.wad -file plutonia.wad" in your command line? Since the demo was recorded with the Final Doom executable, you should have used "-iwad plutonia.wad". The following command line worked fine for me (full paths since I've got XP):
c:\doom2\glboom.exe -iwad C:\doom2\plutonia.wad -playdemo c:\doom2\pl32-337.lmp

Nanami said:

Oh yeah, I also forgot. From now on if you have demos, don't send them to Opulent.

Just to clarify: I assume you only mean Iwad demos? Pwad demos still go to Opulent, right?

Rich said:

I've completed lmps for all ten maps of iditarod and sent them to Opulent.

Cool! I look forward to seeing them. I've done a couple more UV -fast Max demos, and will hopefully have the full set before Opulent's next update. Anyone else playing these maps? Magikal?

Grazza said:

Just to clarify: I assume you only mean Iwad demos? Pwad demos still go to Opulent, right?

Well yeah probably. Actually, I'm not sure. Ask him? O_o

Anyway, Magikal and I thought it wouldn't be too bad to include pwad demos on the new site. For example, all those Grind2 demos could go on there.

I intentionally do not store ALL pwads demos. but the grind2 demos would be very welcome at the DSDA... along with the iditarod demos too.
but having pwad demos at the Iwad demosite is not a bad idea. no harm in that!
besides, you make the rules. ;)

Grazza said:

Cool! I look forward to seeing them. I've done a couple more UV -fast Max demos, and will hopefully have the full set before Opulent's next update. Anyone else playing these maps? Magikal?

I haven't even been able to d/l the thing yet, I've been trying but never....I just tried again and got it at last.
So I've been doin' other stuff, and working gawd damnit. I'm earning the £££ for my Doom3 super comp.:)

Maybe we can do demos of Dream.wad soon. It's out for testing. Hop over to the Mods and Wads section.

I might be willing to do some sort of special run of it. Maybe speed.

Grazza said:

Cool! I look forward to seeing them. I've done a couple more UV -fast Max demos, and will hopefully have the full set before Opulent's next update.

Regarding iditarod:

That's great! I look forward to seeing them. I didn't enjoy maps seven through ten as much as the first six. Rather long with switch and speed type puzzels. Not real good when trying for fast demos.

Nanami said:

Magikal would probably review demos and stuff as well, but I'll have to ask him first.

I'll probably review/choose a map from the NewStuff everyweek or two and feature it for demos, possibly. It would be a more in-depth review like those at the excellent Doom Undergroud.

That sounds like a great idea! We could all do a demo of one of the good wads from /newstuff each week! That'd be cool.

Rich said:

Regarding iditarod: ... I didn't enjoy maps seven through ten as much as the first six. Rather long with switch and speed type puzzels. Not real good when trying for fast demos.

Yes, I've been practising the routes with nomo, but there's a lot to remember in some of the maps. I'm particularly looking for ways to avoid some of the intended sequences with jumps, getting in the way of doors to stop them closing, etc. I've found a couple of ideas so far... whether they are useful when surrounded by fast monsters remains to be seen. BTW, my UV -fast Max times: map01: 2:35; map03: 7:15.

Regarding SDA and the new demo site: I suppose it might make sense for some pwad demos to be sent to both?

Grazza said:

I'm sure when you have practised as much and made as many attempts on these maps as the compet-n guys have, your demos will look pretty god-like too. If you read the text-files accompanying those demos, you'll see that they are often the product of dozens or even hundreds of attempts.

I would say the product of thousands of attempts.

Wish me luck everyone, I'm going to try and see if I can get a good Plutonia MAP32 demo done. Hopefully it'll be entertaining. After watching those other demos, I have a few ideas.

I also have a bunch of other demos to put up (some co-op, some not) later when we get the site in order and start taking new demos and actually have a news page to announce when the new demos arrive.

...Hey, this is my 250th post! ^_^

Nanami said:

Wish me luck everyone, I'm going to try and see if I can get a good Plutonia MAP32 demo done. Hopefully it'll be entertaining. After watching those other demos, I have a few ideas.

I also have a bunch of other demos to put up (some co-op, some not) later when we get the site in order and start taking new demos and actually have a news page to announce when the new demos arrive.

Sounds like a plan. :)

Then Nanami stated that:
...Hey, this is my 250th post! ^_^

Yay! Congrats!! Kewlio Avatar ;) ^_^

Looks Awesome!!! Excelent Work!!!! :D ^_^

Darn those capital Ms! I'll fix it later. I guess I could do it now. Nothing else going on. =P

Nanami said:

Darn those capital Ms! I'll fix it later. I guess I could do it now. Nothing else going on. =P

Well, you fixed the m:s but left the E:s capital =P. Well, it looks as good that way so it doesn't really matter.

Gah! -_-; I'll fix the e's later.

I updated the site, um, sort of. Go look at it. It rather sucks, and class is just about out, so I'll work on it when I get home. Magikal, if you're listening, feel free to work on the page and add tables for the information.

http://xfury.net/doom

Nanami said:

I updated the site, um, sort of. Go look at it. It rather sucks, and class is just about out, so I'll work on it when I get home. Magikal, if you're listening, feel free to work on the page and add tables for the information.

Thanx Nanami I certainly will.:)
I'm making the tables right now!

Well the basic tables are up for Ultimate Doom and Doom2 01-10. I'll do the rest over the next couple of days and fill in what we have so far.

DooMer 4ever said:

Great, the new design looks good :)

Thanx, I think it'll be much better once Nanami works on it later, my skills are very basic.

I'll work on it some. I'm getting a friend to work on the nav bar because he's really good with HTML and web-site related code. =)

Hey everyone. To inspire a speedrun of Grind2 (just Grind2, not Grind2X), I just did a good run with Legacy 1.40a, UV. Nothing special, just me going really fast. There are a couple places (Chaingunner shed, Arch-Vile door) I could shave off a second or so, but I didn't want to do it again. The hardest part is avoiding the Arch-Vile when trying to draw the Cacodemon out. I managed 1:16, but I bet I could get 1:10 if I tried really hard. Anyway, enjoy!

http://xfury.net/doom/demos/Nanami-01-116.zip

This was run 30+ by the way.

Nice demo. I think your route is pretty good (I won't say optimal, because that's always a risky claim). I had a few goes at this myself, trying different routes at first, but couldn't get it below 1:20. I then shamelessly copied your route, and also managed a 1:16 (more straferunning than in your demo, but less smooth generally). I think 1:10 would be very impressive. Regarding the final caco, shouldn't it be possible to keep two rockets for it?

Actually, when I first skim-read your post, I thought you meant a 1:16 UV speedrun on Grind2X, and was thinking that we should all "ph34r j00r 133t skillz". I'd tried speedrunning Grind2X, but decided after a few attempts that I couldn't just blaze through it, and would need to do a fair bit of killing.

PS: NM in 2:46 (first exit; could go a lot quicker, I imagine).

If you're lucky enough to manage two rockets when you get the the Cacodemon, you have to be fast and careful. It's hard to avoid the Arch-Vile, and you'd have to back up enough to lob the rockets at the Cacodemon. I think it's safer to lure him out, since if you watch my demo you see it only takes half a second or so.

The first good demo I made was 1:24, so the 1:16 was a good one. ^_^ I'll watch all these demos when I get home, but they sound good.

I picked that route because you can ONLY open the double door from inside, which I think was a nice touch in the long run. Once the door is open, going from the yellow key to the yellow door is much faster than running back through the cave and outside. This probably saves 20 seconds alltogether. It's dangerous, yes, but my main concern is usually the final Arch-Vile. This path requires the chaingun sidetrack because those imps stand in the way, and it helps keep the Cacodemon in the cave off of you while you get the blue key.

I'll try and see if I can beat 1:16 later. Just takes work.