Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
XxcglezxX

Anyone else in love with the classic aesthetic of the game?

Yeah, I love it too. I feel like the success of Doom 2016 gave them courage to depart even further from the tedious, drab and grim tone of the typical modern SP shooter. The retro style pickups are more readable on the battlefield and I like the wider palette more generally. That you have such great renderings of e.g. the original caco, cyberdemon, green haired zombies and the plasma rifle, the PLASMA RIFLE, is icing on the cake. But how about that plasma rifle?

I feel like whatshisname did an even better job with the music this time round as well. I found 2016s music mostly dull and repetitive, but again, the palette has been widened. Some of the music is so atmospheric this time round.

I like it personally, the colors and the unique design of pickups and environments really make the game look unique. I absolutely hated the Brown and gray tech base and Brown hell of doom 2016 the only level I liked (aesthetically) Was Vega core.

A lot of people were complaining about the environments and the pickups and that's fine, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But would you really like to play 24/7 the same looking tech base all the time? Isn't that one of the major criticism towards Quake 1 and 2?

I love the variety of environments and the all the colours and lighting. Visually it’s striking and nice to look at. Don’t stop for too long otherwise the demons are gonna pile up on you!

@MrDeAD1313 and I were talking last night about the visuals. Aside from the two of us gushing over Nekroval, we mentioned that Urdak has is strangely reminiscent of Ancient Aliens. We started talking about how there may be more subtle allusions or references to other community WADs. What do y'all think?

Also, of course, I am in love with the visuals of this game. Absolutely striking.

Some of the squishy, fleshy stuff you see in the levels is actually quite disgusting. One of the first areas that struck me like that was this bit in the Cultist Base where these metal crushers were squishing a load of gore and guts. I had to stop looking at it too closely because my stomach was beginning to turn. The Super Gore Nest is also quite fucked up for the same reasons.

There's just so much to take in, and it all looks so well done. I've taken in some impressive sights in my current game, and judging from what others saying there's still plenty more to come.

This is one of my favorite things about Eternal. They have totally abandoned drab, dreary grays and browns (thank god) in favor of bright, vibrant colors that look stunning and appropriate to DOS-era games. Doom has, from the beginning, been a colorful game. And they don't just use it for looks, either, color is consciously and very deliberately used in this game to communicate vital information in the heat of battle to aid in split second decision making. I absolutely love it. 

I feel 2016 took the environments to that of like Doom 3 and combined it with the gameplay of the old games to see what it would be like if a game like Doom 3 actually wasn't a horror game. The result IMO was successful, but at the same time not as doomy as the old classics.

Eternal nails it on the environments and the colors. I vastly prefer Eternal's rendition of hell than I did with 2016. Like Nekroval by itself is the most Doom-like Hell level I have ever seen. Freaking amazing.

I think Doom 2016 loves the colour red more than it does green and brown. The palette is a lot more varied in Eternal.

Eternal really, REALLY nailed the look. Everything from the chosen colors, to the enemy design, and just generally the attitude of the presentation takes me back to not just Doom 2, but Quake 1 and 2 as well. 

Also note that there are hints of Unreal Tournament 99 by way of the Fortress of Doom, which reminds me of Facing Worlds in the best way. 

8 hours ago, OneDoomedSpaceMarine said:

Yes, I love that ID Software is going all out with this game and putting small references in almost everything like this one

arm gun 3.PNG

I personally think those question marks should have been something more visually interesting. Like an orb with a question mark.

I'm glad i'm not the only one who appreciates that detail! When I first saw the new classic inspired designs it honestly made me tear up a little with nostalgic joy! I also love playing with the classic gun view!

I personally think those question marks should have been something more visually interesting. Like an orb with a question mark. 

Yup, I was thinking the same thing. These right now look like forgotten placeholders. Some sort of toybox with a question mark would fit nicely I think.

Those question marks are demon figurines after all.

I also really like the aesthetic. There is very little I don´t like aesthetic-vise.

Edited by Shawny

its 95% awesome. the pickups look bad but thats about it. like the health vial has no animation whatsoever, its just sitting there completely still and looks unfinished. same for the health kit and the megasphere. and they all have this washed out full bright light on them. i get why but dont like it. its ugly, and finding the pickups was part of the game. i dont want to see them from 100 yards away. 2016 did a better job of being high vis without looking like ass. 

otherwise, its beautiful. i played through to the level where you meet the betrayer and thought wow this is fucking so perfect lol. 

It doesn't look that classic but it doesn't have to, as long as the new stuff still looks good. (even if bits of the art style lean towards a bit to the likes of Darksiders or modern sci-fi designs but i'm sure trying to mimick the classic art style would led to someone claim they're copying from some mods or whatever)

There are things that are classic but feel lacking, like how the soulsphere doesn't represent a soul trapped in a sphere screaming or how the Gladiator doesn't bleed green.

But you can't always have everything and that doesn't affect the more important parts of the game.

I do think the question marks should have been demonic looking treasure boxes, though.

Something i do like is how they make keys and explosive barrels to fit certain themes and i wished the map computers kept that.

On the subject of whether or not they'd consider bringing back more classic textures and props in HD, if they bring back the evil eye candles and make them "shootable switches" like those of Sigil, they could make it so the holographic/energy symbol behind the eye is red and when you shoot the eye, the eye pops in bloody bits and the symbol is green.

Then a new eye magically grows out of nowhere, to replace the previous eye and the symbol is red again.

If any id employee is reading this, go ahead and take it.

4 minutes ago, whatup876 said:

It doesn't look that classic but it doesn't have to, as long as the new stuff still looks good. (even if bits of the art style lean towards a bit to the likes of Darksiders or modern sci-fi designs but i'm sure trying to mimick the classic art style would led to someone claim they're copying from some mods or whatever)

There are things that are classic but feel lacking, like how the soulsphere doesn't represent a soul trapped in a sphere screaming or how the Gladiator doesn't bleed green.

The soldiers look like the zombiemen and the shield soldiers look like shotgunguys. I think that's mostly what people refer to when they talk about classic look - for monsters.

I just noticed that when the Doomguy grunts from damage it's extremely similar to how he grunts in Quake 3 when taking damage.  To me it almost sounds exactly the same just deeper, but it's hard to closely listen to the damn noise when I'm bombarded with demons and panic.

They're not carrying the same shotgun and rifle as the player and the UAC guards, but it's mostly because they're meant to fit a new art direction.

Eternal's art style is mostly a fusion of classic and new, most of the time, which is probably why the returning designs aren't 100%. (that and gameplay-wise, they're not hitscan anymore)

I also like the Earth levels and hope there's more of it in the future expansions, since it opens a lot of opportunities.

1 minute ago, Flesh420 said:

I just noticed that when the Doomguy grunts from damage it's extremely similar to how he grunts in Quake 3 when taking damage.  To me it almost sounds exactly the same just deeper, but it's hard to differentiate the damn noise when I'm bombarded with Demons and panic.

I think his sounds are meant to sound like they're coming from the suit.

The shots I’ve seen of the various environments are the main thing that has me keen to get stuck into this game, they all look awesome. Looking forward to exploring them!

I'm not sure who is and isn't playing it with HDR enabled here...  But if you aren't, You are missing some of the best gruesomely sexy eye candy of all time. Go enable that right now. Thank me later.

When I first started playing I was streaming so I had to keep HDR off, And then eventually I noticed how much streaming from shadowplay was impacting performance (I was running at 4K on ultra nightmare), so I turned off shadowplay and not only did my frame rates go up but once I enabled HDR, I could go back and kick myself in the ass for not just leaving and enabled and not streaming it to begin with. Holy shit it's like sex in my eyeballs.

I've watched a lot of movies with HDR on I've seen a lot of shows with HDR on I've played a lot of games with HDR on... And not a single of one of them takes advantage of it like Eternal.

Edited by Buckshot

Just got a copy on Xbox One X so that I could play in 4K/HDR myself. Can't wait to check it out!!

The aesthetic and atmosphere in this game is completely mind-blowing imo. There wasn't one environment I didn't drool over. The way they mixed the classic feel of Doom with the newer look is fantastic. I can't WAIT for the dlc to drop!

I haven't had the ability to play yet, but the game is beautiful. More than just nostalgia, I like how they took all those old beautiful designs and made something that's new and wonderful in its own right with them. The game's environments are beautiful. They're entirely unlike classic doom, but that's just fine. It's a beautiful hellscape.

2 hours ago, Buckshot said:

Go enable that right now... And thank me later.

Oh my fn god man you aren't kidding! This looks AMAZING! It absolutely is the best looking HDR I've seen to date by a long shot :D

7 hours ago, Taurus Daggerknight said:

Also note that there are hints of Unreal Tournament 99 by way of the Fortress of Doom, which reminds me of Facing Worlds in the best way. 

The presence of jump pads and teleporters, the layout of the Slayer Gate arenas, and the air control rune have all made my experience in Doom Eternal feel a bit Unreal.

I like that is more old school in the sense that there is color and more fantasy instead of being gray/brown and "realistic".

5 hours ago, Buckshot said:

I'm not sure who is and isn't playing it with HDR enabled here...  But if you aren't, You are missing some of the best gruesomely sexy eye candy of all time. Go enable that right now... And thank me later.

When I first started playing I was streaming so I had to keep HDR off, And then eventually I noticed how much streaming from shadowplay was impacting performance (I was running at 4K on ultra nightmare), so I turned off shadowplay and not only did my frame rates go up but once I enabled HDR, I could go back and kick myself in the ass for not just leaving and enabled and not streaming it to begin with. Holy shit it's like sex in my eyeballs.

I've watched a lot of movies with HDR on I've seen a lot of shows with HDR on I've played a lot of games with HDR on... I'm not a single of one of them takes advantage of it like Eternal.

I wish I could... but my monitor doesn't have HDR support so I'm stuck with default.

2 hours ago, ZALGO said:

I wish I could... but my monitor doesn't have HDR support so I'm stuck with default.

same :(