Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
iUsuallyDie

My first map: Moving Parts!

Now that I have some free time on my hands, I've gotten back into Doom mapping, and this is my first level release, Moving Parts!

It's a single MAP01 replacement for Doom 2 that can be played in vanilla, although I used GZDoom to test it. It also utilises different difficulty settings, with the blue key in different locations on each setting, as well as having increased/tougher monsters and less ammo as the difficulty climbs.

The blue door, protected by pillars that must be lowered first:
moving_parts2.jpg.96ea2c5d1537fc5f694c5f3915cd20b5.jpgm_parts.zip

An editor screencap of the central structure, since seeing it from the inside doesn't really do it justice. The idea is that every time you hit a switch, a wall collapses until eventually there's nothing left.

Spoiler

moving_parts1.jpg.2c986d9278118f68a032e3e7d8bcc55a.jpg

DOWNLOAD: https://www.mediafire.com/file/evulmrmc0k795v1/m_parts.zip/file

I think the idea of the map is pretty good, and when all walls of the starting building collapse it looks much smaller lol

Also what is this?

watefak.png

12 minutes ago, Tor1zo said:

I think the idea of the map is pretty good, and when all walls of the starting building collapse it looks much smaller lol

Also what is this?

watefak.png

Huh, I thought I'd used the middle texture correctly to mask the "sound pipe" there. I've corrected it now!

Edited by iUsuallyDie

Just gave it a run, but had a bit of a bug.  I went back to the first room after dealing with the horde to do some cleanup, and it appears that the blue key door either only works once or seals itself after closing during the central pillar's descent.  Neat concept, though, really goes to show how walls can make a space seem larger.

EDIT: With apologies for the workaround, there seems to be a limit on posts per day for new members.  To clarify, I was able to exit the horde room, but unable to reenter, making the map unable to be completed.

Edited by RagingKrikkit

9 hours ago, RagingKrikkit said:

Just gave it a run, but had a bit of a bug.  I went back to the first room after dealing with the horde to do some cleanup, and it appears that the blue key door either only works once or seals itself after closing during the central pillar's descent.  Neat concept, though, really goes to show how walls can make a space seem larger.

Yeah, I was on the fence about making the horde room a point-of-no-return. I've added a teleporter pillar into the horde room that eventually lowers and allows you to return to the central area. I also changed the way the blue door opens from the outside.

Edited by iUsuallyDie

22 hours ago, iUsuallyDie said:

Huh, I thought I'd used the middle texture correctly to mask the "sound pipe" there. I've corrected it now!

You won't need sound pipes if you join sectors together. That's a neat trick I learned that helps a lot. At least in Doom Builder it's done by selecting 2 or more sectors and pressing J. Don't need to be continuous.

I'm looking forward for more of your stuff, but overall, I didn't enjoy it that much.

I suggest reading Tips for creating good WADs ,as well as playing and studying a lot of Doom wads, good and bad.

Withing a couple of days, my maps went from rudimental cubes to a somewhat good standalone map.

Keep ongoing :]