Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nanami

Final Doom

I have a quick question. I'm thinking about buying Final Doom. I have UD and Doom II and wanted a new game to play for a while. It's $25 from idsoftware.com

Before I buy it, what am I getting myself into?

The DOOM Collector's Edition costs only $20 if I'm not mistaken (though ordering directly from id might be cooler.)

TNT Evilution is OK, some maps are neat, others are not-so-cool. none of them is crap except one that is screwed up, although there is a patch for it at teamtnt.com. Expect a decent "megawad" with a few new texture patches (which are themselves decent to somewhat messy, not fitting perfectly in quality with the originals, but having the right theme.)

The Plutonia Experiment has a less "realistic" design overall but is more elegant than TNT. This is because the designs are generally better, the gameplay tighter and smoother, while harder at the same time. The fact that two brothers designed it with a clearer vision or style helped make it more seamless than TNT (which was made by a team of diverse people from TeamTNT), I judge. Plutonia is a must-have in my opinion. It's inspired alot of cool WADs. It has new texture patches too, paticularly for spacious walls, which are a bit rough but have been used well and give the IWAD a particular feel.

There's no new monsters, or chages in gameplay. I feel it's worth acquiring.

Nanami said:

what am I getting myself into?

Two quality megawads, one of which (Plutonia) is the greatest wad ever IMO (it's also a real challenge). Evilution is nowhere near as tough, but is recommended if you like tech maps. Both wads are a must-have, really.

It's a must have, no doubt about it (esp. Plutonia), good comments myk. 25$ seems quite a lot as it's available in the UK at £4.99(replay) and Doom Collector's Ed is only £10.

You know, even UD from their website is $25. Anywhere else I can get it for cheaper?

It sounds good, I just wanted to make sure it was worth getting. It IS 64 levels. And I haven't played a good "megawad" in a while.

Of course, The Collector's Edition has all three games.

Hm. Where can I go to get Final Doom for less. And if it's not very expensive, the whole collectors pack? I have a copy of UD at home, but I lost my copy of Doom II (although I still have the wad file, obviously). It'd be nice to get them all together, especially with the new Final Doom levels.

Oh, has anyone ever heard of a thing called D!, extra levels for Doom? I used to have it. Was it any good? Can I get it anywhere? Several years ago I got it for $9.99, is there a free copy I could get? It's probably not worth but $1.99 anymore. =P

D! might have some maps not at the idgames Archive, but I doubt it can be obtained. I doubt it has anything to die for, though some stuff might be cool. If I'm not mistaken the D! series are old and very hard to obtain.

Yeah, The Collector's Edition has DOOM II, The Ultimate DOOM and Final DOOM in one CD for $20.

myk said:

Yeah, The Collector's Edition has DOOM II, The Ultimate DOOM and Final DOOM in one CD for $20.

Where, where?

I got it from Amazon. similar places should have it, and I suppose stores too.

Definitely worth getting. Even $25 dollars would be a modest price for the many hours of pleasure you'll get from these two megawads. Heh, I made a special trip from London to Seattle just to get my copy of Final Doom as soon as it came out. :)

Yes, I was really considering it. I'd be willing to pay the $25 for the 64 levels. I was just wondernig why Doom II (32 levels), UD (36 levels) and Final Doom (64) all cost $25 on idsoftware.com, and was wondering if I could get one, or all, for cheaper. I don't make that much money. =P I'll check Amazon.com... uh... now. Kick, I found it! It's $19.88 Ultimate Doom, Doom II, and Final Doom! I'll buy it when I get home. I don't want to whip out my check card at school.

All the commercial wads are worth getting. I even purchased this "Master Levels" disc off ebay that has over 2,000 levels in it. Most of them are "What was this guy thinking?" levels, but some are very well designed. The really good ones I'll convert to glide nodes for use on jdoom or other accelerated ports.

BTW that TNT level bug on 31 really ticked me off because I didn't know it was a bug. I spent 6 hours trying to solve that level and just couldn't accept defeat. Finally, I go online and hear it was a bug... D'oh!!

Ultimate DooMer said:

Two quality megawads, one of which (Plutonia) is the greatest wad ever IMO (it's also a real challenge). Evilution is nowhere near as tough, but is recommended if you like tech maps. Both wads are a must-have, really.

I concur, i got all three Dooms for only $20

FirebrandX said:

All the commercial wads are worth getting. I even purchased this "Master Levels" disc off ebay that has over 2,000 levels in it. Most of them are "What was this guy thinking?" levels, but some are very well designed. The really good ones I'll convert to glide nodes for use on jdoom or other accelerated ports.

BTW that TNT level bug on 31 really ticked me off because I didn't know it was a bug. I spent 6 hours trying to solve that level and just couldn't accept defeat. Finally, I go online and hear it was a bug... D'oh!!

i agree, those bunches of levels are a mixed bag...probably one in three is a really good level and the rest are the product of excessive crack-smoking IMO.

The "Master Levels" is just a bunch of maps id scooped of the net. Arent many of them at the Archive? The important part of that package is the set of maps designed exclusively for id, like 20 or 25 maps. Those are OK.

Regarding "The Master Levels", I wasn't aware of a shovelware collection of that name. The maps included in the Master Levels on the id Anthology are as follows:

attack.wad, blacktwr.wad, bloodsea.wad, canyon.wad, catwalk.wad, combine.wad, fistula.wad, garrison.wad, geryon.wad, manor.wad, mephisto.wad, minos.wad, nessus.wad, paradox.wad, subspace.wad, subterra.wad, teeth.wad, ttrap.wad, vesperas.wad, virgil.wad

That "shovelware collection" was released by id, including those maps you mentioned plus hundreds of crappier ones.

myk said:

That "shovelware collection" was released by id, including those maps you mentioned plus hundreds of crappier ones.

yeah i actually bought the master levels disc, the "shovelware collection" was named "maximum doom" and was separate from the master levels themselves..

considering the master levels were two megs altogether, i thought it was kinda nice they filled up the disc with something :P

well i would recomend getting the collectors edition of doom. if u can find it, some months its nowhere and then next time it is every where. u can score it for $10 US at most places now, but dont check wall/k-mart. best bets are places like best buy, circut city, compUSA, any computer/software tech shop and even music stores.
I cant wait untill final doom meets gameboy