Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Denim Destroyer

Thoughts On Hexen?

1 hour ago, ReaperAA said:

Most of the vanilla game should be doable. Although I do fell like the class bosses (Zedek, Traductus, Menelkir) on skill 5 would be a mountain of pain.

I think Zedek and his map is definitely a real pain in the ass...the other two are meh. Repulsion disks are the best friends for that.

12 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

I think Zedek and his map is definitely a real pain in the ass...the other two are meh. Repulsion disks are the best friends for that.

Not if you spawn camp him with a dozen of flechettes. pretty much instakills him. 

Edit : First 2 hubs are do-able mace only + items. Although got super bored by the time I got to hypostyle and decided I had enough of that for today ( And don't want to waste ages trying to glitch the wyvern since chasing it all day will be annoying af ).

22 minutes ago, Pegg said:

Not if you spawn camp him with a dozen of flechettes. pretty much instakills him. 

Edit : First 2 hubs are do-able mace only + items. Although got super bored by the time I got to hypostyle and decided I had enough of that for today ( And don't want to waste ages trying to glitch the wyvern since chasing it all day will be annoying af ).

OH THAT'S RIGHT!!!

The fucking wyvern....definitely it's a bastard to consider to be an annoyance...

8 hours ago, leodoom85 said:

Lol my mind forgot about the replusion disks. Those make the 2 of them quite easy.

Hexen is a very flawed, but amazing game. What I don't like, how cryptic everything is, 4 weapons per class, and the lack of mid tier enemies.

What I love: The presentation, especially the enemies, and player designs. The three playable characters have the coolest designs, all their faces covered so you can put yourself in their shoes. Beautiful projectile effects and the monsters designs. Holy moly, the ettians, centaurs and reavers are so cool. So much craftsmanship went into the art that it makes the game worth playing... Just get a guide in case you get lost.

Yeah, the monster designs are pretty cool, indeed. That is one reason I wish I was able to enjoy the game.

A thought I've had is wondering why Raven felt the need to change the Bloodscourge for single-player. I don't know about modern source ports, but on the OG DOS version, the Bloodscourge fireballs explode on contact during DM against human opponents; this carries over slightly in single player as the fireballs explode on contact with the 3 class bosses and Menelkir's explode on contact with you. Of course for every other enemy they do minimal ripping damage and usually explode harmlessly on a wall. I often wonder if it was for balancing purposes but then the Wraithverge exists :/

It's one of my personal favorites ever since I was a small boy when my older brother got me that when I was about to head home from my elementary school (I may've been 8 or 9 at the time). Though I did cheat mostly, and didn't know how to get past the 7 portals until years later when I was either 18 or 19 after I got DOOM and the other games taken away when I was 13 due to behavioral issues from that thing.

But ye, the atmosphere and the puzzles is what makes this great!

On 3/26/2020 at 3:30 AM, ronaldo0070 said:

What ruined Hexen for me is that there's too many Ettins and Centaurs, they're super bullet sponges and they slowdown the pace of the gameplay really hard.

I still managed to beat Hexen as Cleric without a walkthrough, very confusing hub system but still manageable.

Don't get me started on the Slaughtaurs. Those things are the enemies I hate the most

I always loved the atmosphere and RPG stylings of Hexen. It really was one of the first games I played that made you feel like you were going on an adventure, not just through a collection of maps. The switch hunting could be tedious, however, but in the 90's it seemed pretty typical of that period. Looking at the game now, though, the game really needs some better refinement. Would love to one day see a proper remake that could address the flaws but maintain the RPG nature and atmosphere of the original.

1 hour ago, Bri said:

It really was one of the first games I played that made you feel like you were going on an adventure, not just through a collection of maps.

Funny that; aside from script bug softlock back in the 90s, one of the few things that bothered me about Hexen was that it wasn’t a string of levels to be completed one at a time, and that each level had zero secrets (do I remember correctly that automap even told 0/0 secrets?). So accustomed was I to Doom formula.

Nowadays I enjoy Hexen formula better, even though I still prefer level-by-level approach. (This applies to ”retro games” only, modern games are a bit different).

3 hours ago, RHhe82 said:

Funny that; aside from script bug softlock back in the 90s, one of the few things that bothered me about Hexen was that it wasn’t a string of levels to be completed one at a time, and that each level had zero secrets (do I remember correctly that automap even told 0/0 secrets?). So accustomed was I to Doom formula.

There were no kill/item/secret counters in the hud's of the Vanilla games. That is something sourceports have added.

8 minutes ago, Vermil said:

There were no kill/item/secret counters in the hud's of the Vanilla games. That is something sourceports have added.

I must be remembering the last time I played Hexen some 15 years ago with Zdoom, then. But I do remember the disappointment that I didn’t get Kills/Items/Secrets stats!

I love it and at the same time I loathe it
The switch hunting becomes extremely boring, but I still love it despite all of that