Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JustinI

Please make sure...

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to play with a friend on Doomseeker, and she gets the "please make sure you are using the exact same WAD as the server" message. I personally emailed her the doom ii WAD, and have recently downloaded the most recent versions of doomseeker and of freedoom just to be sure. I have never had this problem before; I've hosted servers on all fear the sentinel many times without issue. Does anyone know a way around this weirdness? Doomkid? 

I appreciate any and all help!

-J

That’s strange, what wads (besides Doom2) are being hosted on the server she wants to connect to? Try sending her exact copies of those wads as well. So long as all the wads have the same MD5 hash and file size as the ones on the server, this shouldn’t be happening. Hopefully this will be the solution.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly, doomkid! 

The only wad I put on the server was doom2. My friend did have to download the pk3 file (newtextcolors_360), but the only actual IWAD on the server I made was doom2. We definitely have the same doom2 file, as I emailed it to her. 

I've read that freedoom might gunk up the works, do you have any idea about that?

Based on the info, it sounds like you are using Zandronum.

If you attempt to reconnect in Zandronum, it should list the wads that are trying to be loaded vs the wads that you have. As Doomkid mentioned, you can compare the MD5 hash number between the two to see which file has a different MD5 hash number. The one that is different is the offending wad. I don't have a screenshot off hand but I have seen this before. I typically rename the offending wad (if pwad) and let wadseeker auto download the new file so it matches the server.

Thank you so much! I will check and see what hers says. 

How does one rename the offending wad? Also, which one is on your computer, the top or bottom of the two you have underlined?

I know it is hard to read but the the tops portion mentions "The server reports 5 pwad(s):" So the top is one hash that the server has. The bottom mentions "You have loaded 5 pwad(s): Meaning these are the wads I am trying to load. As you can see the bottom hash value differs, meaning I have a different version of the wad.

If you want to rename the wads, you need to locate them where ever you have them stored. If you are on Windows, then you can simply right-click and choose the rename option to change the filename of the wad.

Thank you all so much for your help with this! It turns out that my friend simply had her files configured incorrectly; we have since had no issue in playing. 

I love this community; you guys are always so helpful and supportive. I really appreciate you!