My First Map - Wrong Mistake

b.jpg.6b0be0903a7e93684ffb687d156ab407.jpg

Tis but a short, simple and single map for Doom II;

Wrong Mistake

My First map, in fact

A run n' gun map, in fact

Not that hard, in fact

Requirements:

The map has been tested with GZDoom and Crispy Doom and does NOT work with Chocolate Doom because of visual glitches that confuse me as to why they exist.

It is also 100% vanilla, so you can go stick your Ketchup, Smooth Doom and what not on it, but it expects no Freelook, Jumping or Crounching.

a.jpg.db08f1d39612f92156635a42b072624c.jpgc.jpg.0899bbf3599deaf138dbe3cd211be915.jpgd.jpg.3445fd4538b5b3e8af7ea52a37902c9e.jpg

Edited by Spowmtom : Better image placement

Count me a bit impressed at the number of secrets in the map, the end screen is telling me that I only got 55%.  It shouldn't surprise you to hear that the hitscanner hell segment is the weakest part of the map: tunnels and shotgunners don't exactly make a thrilling combination.  The main room, on the other hand, does do a good job of going from mediocre to "oh, that's a bit of an issue", but that impression is largely reliant on the first segment of the map not setting the highest of expectations.  At the end of the day, it's a cramped, single path map without a lot to break down, but you have demonstrated knowing how to monster closet decently well, and I'd suggest that you keep iterating on that going ahead.

17 hours ago, RagingKrikkit said:

Count me a bit impressed at the number of secrets in the map, the end screen is telling me that I only got 55%.  It shouldn't surprise you to hear that the hitscanner hell segment is the weakest part of the map: tunnels and shotgunners don't exactly make a thrilling combination.  The main room, on the other hand, does do a good job of going from mediocre to "oh, that's a bit of an issue", but that impression is largely reliant on the first segment of the map not setting the highest of expectations.  At the end of the day, it's a cramped, single path map without a lot to break down, but you have demonstrated knowing how to monster closet decently well, and I'd suggest that you keep iterating on that going ahead.

Thank you a lot for having played the map.

As it is my first map (and any piece of content regarding video games), I did a lot of mistakes and learned a great deal.

I think I went a little too crazy on the ideas and I should try to develop simpler, more concise ideas and master that.

The layout is, in my opinion, the biggest problem there. It's linear and doesn't do Doom justice at all, I'll try to get a deeper and more complex map layout a run with hubs, mini-hubs, dead-ends and connections between all of those.

Better is coming!

Edited by Spowmtom : Forgot a word

The detailing and styling is definitely pretty good. From a technical aspect, there's a hall-of-mirrors in the outside segment (while looking back inside, it's in the upper right corner of the edge of the window area, so the southwest corner of the outdoor area on the map), but otherwise there were no glaring mapping mistakes that I spotted. A few DOORTRAKs weren't unpegged, but that's pretty minor.

Gameplay-wise, I agree that the hitscanner tunnel in the slime-area isn't really enticing, and the map is (as noted) completely linear. I think you'd get a lot out of looking at the different styles of progression available in other maps. Just from original episode 1, the only maps that are particularly linear in form are E1M2, E1M5, E1M8, and E1M9, and of those only E1M8 doesn't re-use its areas, and they all have various branches for additional exploration.

From a secret standpoint, I enjoyed the effort put into making sure there are secrets, but you might've gone a bit overboard with them overall from a balance standpoint. If you're aiming for a long-term progression across multiple levels, you probably want to ration out the number of secrets that give you new guns in favor of secrets that have conditionally useful power-ups or such instead. I missed the imp lift secret entirely too, since I didn't even think to ask if there was a secret there.

My personal opinion on those secrets would be to move the plasma rifle where the soul sphere is right now, move the soul sphere onto the imp lift, and move the ammo boxes from the imp lift to where the plasma rifle currently is. The advantage of the soul sphere is that it is very recognizable and draws attention to itself even at quite a distance, whereas the other two secrets are already fairly obvious because attention is drawn to them by the shape of the level.

"My first map"

*plays map* *sees the excellent details using nothing but vanilla textures* Are you SURE this is your first map? Cause you sir/madame/*insert thing here* can make one HECK of a good map in terms of visuals! :)

Now, I think this map is a little hard. I noticed someone mentioned above about a "plasma rifle" secret but I couldn't find it. Shame as this map could really benefit from it as near the end you have quite a good few low and mid-tier enemies to deal with. (shotgun + hell knight = MDK inside dev console)

Also you mentioned "visual problems" in vanilla that you're unsure about... The visual HOM error is a Drawseg overflow. Usually occurs when you over detail an area as vanilla is limited in what it can render on screen at any one time. Also, over detailing will very likely cause DooM to crash with a visplane overflow error. I think the main differences is, Drawseg seems to be mroe linedef based whereas visplanes are sector based (8 squares vs 8 octagons all raised 8 units above ground. The Octagons I think cause the VP count to go up more than the squares would).

I had to go back because not finding that secret really bugged me

and I found it and that was a real clever secret that map was hidden real good right in plain sight

On 3/26/2020 at 7:47 PM, Isquilt said:

The detailing and styling is definitely pretty good. From a technical aspect, there's a hall-of-mirrors in the outside segment (while looking back inside, it's in the upper right corner of the edge of the window area, so the southwest corner of the outdoor area on the map), but otherwise there were no glaring mapping mistakes that I spotted. A few DOORTRAKs weren't unpegged, but that's pretty minor.

Gameplay-wise, I agree that the hitscanner tunnel in the slime-area isn't really enticing, and the map is (as noted) completely linear. I think you'd get a lot out of looking at the different styles of progression available in other maps. Just from original episode 1, the only maps that are particularly linear in form are E1M2, E1M5, E1M8, and E1M9, and of those only E1M8 doesn't re-use its areas, and they all have various branches for additional exploration.

From a secret standpoint, I enjoyed the effort put into making sure there are secrets, but you might've gone a bit overboard with them overall from a balance standpoint. If you're aiming for a long-term progression across multiple levels, you probably want to ration out the number of secrets that give you new guns in favor of secrets that have conditionally useful power-ups or such instead. I missed the imp lift secret entirely too, since I didn't even think to ask if there was a secret there.

My personal opinion on those secrets would be to move the plasma rifle where the soul sphere is right now, move the soul sphere onto the imp lift, and move the ammo boxes from the imp lift to where the plasma rifle currently is. The advantage of the soul sphere is that it is very recognizable and draws attention to itself even at quite a distance, whereas the other two secrets are already fairly obvious because attention is drawn to them by the shape of the level. 

Thank you for having played the map!
Oh god, yes, I just noticed that. I'll be working on a reworked version in the future for a Freedoom mega wad I'm working on

On 3/29/2020 at 4:28 AM, Clippy said:

You caught me off guard with a full blown let's play. Really glad to hear that you liked it, and thank you so much for having made a video out of it.

On 3/26/2020 at 8:39 PM, DynamiteKaitorn said:

"My first map"

*plays map* *sees the excellent details using nothing but vanilla textures* Are you SURE this is your first map? Cause you sir/madame/*insert thing here* can make one HECK of a good map in terms of visuals! :)

Now, I think this map is a little hard. I noticed someone mentioned above about a "plasma rifle" secret but I couldn't find it. Shame as this map could really benefit from it as near the end you have quite a good few low and mid-tier enemies to deal with. (shotgun + hell knight = MDK inside dev console)

Also you mentioned "visual problems" in vanilla that you're unsure about... The visual HOM error is a Drawseg overflow. Usually occurs when you over detail an area as vanilla is limited in what it can render on screen at any one time. Also, over detailing will very likely cause DooM to crash with a visplane overflow error. I think the main differences is, Drawseg seems to be mroe linedef based whereas visplanes are sector based (8 squares vs 8 octagons all raised 8 units above ground. The Octagons I think cause the VP count to go up more than the squares would).

Thank you very much for having played the map!
Oh god, and thank you so much, you got my cheeks red..

As said above, I'll be working on a reworked version, and I definitively noted that over detailing issue.

18 hours ago, sugarwater said:

That was a lot of fun. Nice work. Love a map with a lot of secrets.

Thank you very much for having played the map!

Stay tuned for more.

Overall, glad to see that you all love it very much (except for that first guy). All the issues have been noted and a reworked version with fixed minor and major bugs, alone with the linear layout and the less desirable parts, will be fixed in my Freedoom megawad.

Neat for a first map. I like what you're going for; it's a journey with all sorts of contrasting areas. Some areas of improvement (apart from, like, continuing to get better at everything): 

- Having a lot of secrets like this was fine and dandy, but some were just basic pushwalls with misaligned textures and some felt too basic (not easy, but obvious) for the level of rewards offered -- among those I'd count many of those pushwalls and also that shootswitch sequence at the beginning. Later on a lot of the secrets were just 'there' for free, which was strange; I didn't notice what I did, if anything, for them to be available. I liked the nukage area stuff the best. 

- Combat was basic but pretty satisfying, I'd say. A lot of frontal hallway clearing early, but you keep the monsters light and weak. Highlights are the way the zombie-bridge stretch is packed with bonuses to make you feel good about being aggressive, and the parts in the last room, which is where stuff gets more dynamic. Invul for one cyber in an open area comes across as greatly mismatched, though, for the difficulty of one cyber in an open area. 

- Consider a custom MIDI. You'll notice me changing it to something else. The start area put me in the mood for Doom 2 map04's MIDI for whatever reason. 

The triangular pizza slice rocky terrain at the end is a pretty unusual way to do that. Usually triangles are used in that way for slopes. No harm, though -- it looks good and was interesting. 

FDA (recording had some glitches, still figuring this out; had a lot of other programs open too I guess): 

Played through this. It took a while to find all the secrets, but eventually I did.

Spoiler

The imp-elevator eluded me for quite a while!

Gameplay-wise, it isn't much of a challange. The room with all the shotguys and soldiers were nice in terms of architecture, but the corridors in between the rooms were a bit of a bore. Maybe some more open areas could be added, and perhaps several ways to reach some of the rooms, as someone suggested above. I also liked the outdoor area that you can see through the window.

Spoiler

And the little cyberdemon-battle was also a nice touch!

All in all, I liked it. I think you did well for a first map, even if there is slight room for improvement. Hope to see more of your work!

wrong_mistake.jpg