Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chungy

Doom 64 (2020) issues

On 3/31/2020 at 5:25 PM, ZeroTheEro said:

Reporting that the problem is entirely fixed after clean reinstall of the drivers, now D64EX2 can do Vulkan.

I had the same issue during development (I have the exact same card you have) and interestingly when this problem would start affecting Doom 64, it would also affect everything else on my system using Vulkan, such as RenderDoc when attached to a Vulkan process. That's when I realized it was strictly a driver problem. Glad to hear you were able to resolve it.

15 minutes ago, Quasar said:

I had the same issue during development (I have the exact same card you have) and interestingly when this problem would start affecting Doom 64, it would also affect everything else on my system using Vulkan, such as RenderDoc when attached to a Vulkan process. That's when I realized it was strictly a driver problem. Glad to hear you were able to resolve it.

Apparently I spoke too soon.

The problem can return if I left the game alt-tabbed out for a while. It does fix itself by exiting and restarting the game, though.

Just now, ZeroTheEro said:

Apparently I spoke too soon.

The problem can return if I left the game alt-tabbed out for a while. It does fix itself by exiting and restarting the game, though.

That sucks. We continue to investigate Vulkan issues on our end but no idea yet if anything we can do will help.

1 minute ago, Quasar said:

That sucks. We continue to investigate Vulkan issues on our end but no idea yet if anything we can do will help.

Yeah, I'll work with what's working on my end in the meantime.

I'm not sure if these are bugs in the port or just being authentic to the original but  I feel like I get stuck on geometry quite often.  I don't have an N64 anymore so I can't go back and check but I don't remember being quite this 'sticky'.

The other thing is in level 6.  The second switch on the bridge puzzle is a nightmare to activate.  If I stand next to it while not rushing for the next bridge the switch is totally responsive.  When I rush straight at it before the bridge resets the switch just doesn't respond for me.  I do remember that being a really annoying part in the OG game so maybe it is just an authenticity thing but I thought I'd mention it.

Other than that, I'm loving it.  Just wondering if it would be possible to back-port the controller rumble code into EX?

6 hours ago, Average said:

Other than that, I'm loving it.  Just wondering if it would be possible to back-port the controller rumble code into EX?

Very no. The whole thing is a .bnvib processor/emulator that works like a second sound system with device specific hooks. It's very tied into how Kex3 all functions. 

10 hours ago, Average said:

I don't have an N64 anymore so I can't go back and check but I don't remember being quite this 'sticky'.

Is it because you are now playing with Always Run enabled and run into things more/harder? Just an idea.

10 hours ago, Average said:

I'm not sure if these are bugs in the port or just being authentic to the original but  I feel like I get stuck on geometry quite often.  I don't have an N64 anymore so I can't go back and check but I don't remember being quite this 'sticky'.

This is a pretty vague statement and I can't really tell for sure what you mean, but I think I also experience this kind of "stickiness" with vanilla Doom and Doom 64 probably inherited that property too. Being that the new port is demo-compatible, it can't really afford to fix the issue.

Edit: Deprecated: Archived

Edited by TKBS

35 minutes ago, TKBS said:

seta "compat_collision" "1"

There is no cvar called compat_collision. There is a mapinfo tag for it but it no longer serves any purpose.

All work from the kexengine has been aimed at simply applying bethesda.net crap it and messing the wad to make it ahrder for people to mess with it literally adds nothing new.

The WAD is just as accessible as it always was, you can open it up in SLADE3 as per usual and contains all the assets converted to PNG and WAVs, as well as all the maps in their individual IWADs (though converted from the Jaguar Doom big endian format to the PC version). This remains true to how Doom64 always functioned, the core IWAD isn't fabricated. There have been changes from EX, which turned out to be missing a lot of details from Doom64, as well as the new additions of the 3 point filtering and the new episode. You can find a full list here: https://doom64ex.wordpress.com/2020/03/24/differences-between-doom-64-ex-2-5-versus-the-official-remaster/

Every 9minutes it runs a call to bethesda- wow really nice, if your offline, it bugs the game out and gives worse geometry clipping issues.

It does no such thing. The Bethesda stuff pings the server to sync changes such as the achievements, and that's literally it. We don't care if you're playing offline, and we sure as fuck wouldn't hook that up to the damn physics system to generate falsely attributed bug reports wasting our time extensively.

Edit: Deprectaed: Archived

Edited by TKBS

9 minutes ago, TKBS said:

- is this first hand DEV talk from knowing Kaiser? or are u guessing? and being a doom Guru?

I'm part of Nightdive.

9 minutes ago, TKBS said:

..also if you type god, achievements will be disabled, so you should not pinging servers at all in that case. And it should definately not be geocaching - which is exactly what happens!

The backend does not know or care what state the game is actually in, the ping/response is part of its keepalive that will happen anyway. Disabling achievements because you used cheats is simply something we change on our end by never checking the criteria of achievements via a simple boolean, it doesn't stop the backend from working and synchronizing.

I'm not sure what's significant in that log about geocaching. The only amount of "geocaching" I know of is the server responding to a initial request with a reference to what region you're in, which is used for the legal agreements.

I'm not sure what's significant in that log about geocaching.

Nothing, John remero knows where i live anyway LOL :)  Check your pm. And big thank you for your pro response :) Truly appreciated !

1 hour ago, TKBS said:

So ignore dumb comments and replies that offer you no help

seta "compat_collision" "1"

34 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

There is no cvar called compat_collision

Ironic.

On Switch, if I use a password to unlock the cheat menu, is there a way to save it? I already got it by beating Hectic, but it somehow disappeared and don't feel like going through the level again.

Once I unlocked Features I used the last save slots to make saves at the beginning of each of the Fun levels, just in case Features ever vanished. I also have a save at the start of Hectic. All of these saves were made after the Features menu was unlocked, so hopefully having them all will help the Features menu stay there, despite a dev saying the Features unlock was saved in a config, ive seen a few reports of the menu vanishing..

30 minutes ago, betabox said:

On Switch, if I use a password to unlock the cheat menu, is there a way to save it? I already got it by beating Hectic, but it somehow disappeared and don't feel like going through the level again.

Try unlocking it then changing a setting in the menu and backing out. We might have missed a flag somewhere to store the config.

31 minutes ago, betabox said:

Just tried that, didn't work unfortunately.

By some chance, are you using a password when you restart the game? Looking at the code it turns out using passwords would forcibly set the features status (i.e if the password wasn't going to MAP01, it would turn it back off).

No, I'm just going straight to New Game or loading any save games. Tried different combinations with save slots, still doesn't keep the menu when closing and re-entering the game.

The only issues i've been noticing are lag spikes whilst playing. They happen every so often. They tend to happen more when i find a secret or pick up a new weapon. It can definitely throw you off for a second. I'm playing on XB1 (original 1TB model). TBH it's not all that bad. I just thought that i'd mention it although i'm not sure if it's just my Xbox or what.

17 hours ago, CyberDreams said:

The only issues i've been noticing are lag spikes whilst playing. They happen every so often. They tend to happen more when i find a secret or pick up a new weapon. It can definitely throw you off for a second. I'm playing on XB1 (original 1TB model). TBH it's not all that bad. I just thought that i'd mention it although i'm not sure if it's just my Xbox or what.

Might be related to an issue with sound effects caching, which is already addressed in our internal builds. Hopeful future patch feature.

1 hour ago, Quasar said:

Might be related to an issue with sound effects caching, which is already addressed in our internal builds. Hopeful future patch feature.

Cool. Thanks for the answer :)

Is the game going to appear on GOG eventually, or are Steam and Beth the only alternatives?

Yeah, please bring it out on Steam and make it half-price for owners of the Doom games on Steam.

EDIT: I thought I was posting in a different thread, disregard this

Edited by VGA

Ah, yeah, I already have bought it the day it came out. I thought I was posting in the "SIGIL ,Final Doom and more now available for DOOM console ports." thread

/facepalm

7 hours ago, Gez said:

Is the game going to appear on GOG eventually, or are Steam and Beth the only alternatives?

It isn't even on Beth, just Steam.