Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lila Feuer

How the hell does anybody get past Tricks and Traps on Saturn?

The frame rate is abysmal and it feels like everything is moving at different speeds counter-intuitive of each other. I feel simultaneously too fast to control and too slow to do the falling platforms at the end. You over-steer your turn when holding run but you can't afford to walk for even a second it seems, the platforms drop faster than you'd think. At least on the PSX version the frame rate is more manageable, and on the GBA port they add a teleporter to get out of there since they know you will be unable to clear it at the frame rate on offer. But yeah Saturn just feels impossible.

Yes, all the classic console ports. So far I've played and beaten PSX Doom (which is arguably the best port) and Final Doom (which mostly sucked). SNES Doom (which wasn't good but still interesting), GBA Doom (which was okay) and Doom II (which was mostly okay but had annoying issues). Currently playing and trying to finish Saturn Doom (combating its awful lag) and today I've started on 32X Doom. After that it's the Jaguar and maybe 3DO if I can stomach it.

Usually I'll play through the level only once, and if I don't make it to the exit on one try I'll just enter in the password for the next level and call it a day. That is of course if you don't mind a little bit of cheating...

I'm honestly tempted to just do the password for the next level if I fail again. The convenience of PSX/Saturn Doom is the passwords at least arm the player with what they think is appropriate for that point in the game, I'd just lose some excess ammo and probably armor, not a big deal.

19 hours ago, Lila Feuer said:

Yes, all the classic console ports. So far I've played and beaten PSX Doom (which is arguably the best port) and Final Doom (which mostly sucked). SNES Doom (which wasn't good but still interesting), GBA Doom (which was okay) and Doom II (which was mostly okay but had annoying issues). Currently playing and trying to finish Saturn Doom (combating its awful lag) and today I've started on 32X Doom. After that it's the Jaguar and maybe 3DO if I can stomach it.

As someone who started out playing Doom on PSX and where I played it for many years I'd love to play the Saturn version. I've never known anyone who owns it or even seen the port running in the flesh. I like the Idea of going through all the console ports. 

It's basically PSX Doom but with the colored lighting disabled (despite the files being present on the disc) and an amazingly bad frame rate, because Carmack didn't want his engine to look bad by what would've been a faster rendering method, because textures would've had a rippling effect. Carmack later apologized for this.

23 hours ago, Lila Feuer said:

It's basically PSX Doom but with the colored lighting disabled (despite the files being present on the disc) and an amazingly bad frame rate, because Carmack didn't want his engine to look bad by what would've been a faster rendering method, because textures would've had a rippling effect. Carmack later apologized for this.

Yeah I heard about that Carmack thing somewhere. It could have been the Digital Foundry documentary from a few years back I think.

Btw used a password and I don't regret it. It's a miracle alone that I can body the game on UV at this frame rate.

On 3/26/2020 at 7:37 PM, Lila Feuer said:

SNES Doom (which wasn't good but still interesting)

Did you play it on an actual SNES or on an emulator? I've heard on an emulator it runs a lot better and therefore way more playable.

Just curious.

58 minutes ago, unerxai said:

Did you play it on an actual SNES or on an emulator? I've heard on an emulator it runs a lot better and therefore way more playable.

Just curious.

As a guy who has only played it on emulator (and seen people play it on the actual SNES), I can confirm that this is mostly true.

The controls are still sorta clunky, though.