Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katey Kat

thoughts on DOOM 64?

it's honestly an underrated classic in my opinion. it has the same feel as the previous 2 DOOM games and is honestly quite a bit of fun. 

Painelemental64_sprite.png

It's my favorite Doom game too and the real Doom 3. 

It has the best design of Hell in the entire series, at least in my opinion. This game has a unique atmosphere to it that really adds more to the horror of the series than I think Doom 3 did. 

It's definitely an underrated classic. 

I like it a lot, it's the medium point between classic doom gameplay and doom 3 atmosphere.

5 hours ago, User Name said:

Its my favourite Doom game.

Ye, it's a groovy Doom game :3.

Confusing level design that becomes a slog to play after so many levels in, gimmicky lighting that was too dark, the ambient noise over music gets a bit grating and trying to play it on an N64 is an exercise in not throwing your controller at the screen. I've grown from hopeful interest to mild dislike to outright hatred of it every time I force myself to play it. I had a few fan ports for PC and since deleted all of them rather than try the game again, because if I didn't like it the first 4 times, the 5th isn't going to change that. I suspect had Midway sold it as an original title it would have been forgotten.

2 minutes ago, seed said:

Ye, it's a groovy Doom game :3.

I love the sprawling level designs that really pull the player in, fantastic lighting that sets the mood and atmosphere, the dark ambient music over the out of place taco bell music from Doom II, and the great control setup really make for a wonderfully engaging Doom experience. I've really grown fond of Doom 64, it has a charm that makes it stand out from the rest. Absolutely groovy!

Definitely has a lot of good ideas and atmospheric moments, but I mostly find it dull and frequently frustrating due to sub par map design. I have yet to work up the will to complete it entirely.

It's what I feel to be a true Doom 3 title and even ID knows that considering the new Doom timeline.

Great atmosphere, good development for the MC now that we know he is still a human and is having mental issues trying to survive against the hellspawn. Great level design, Unmaker is one of my fav weapons in gaming barring the BFG, and finally awesome music to accompany.

Would be better if we had more enemy variety though, but it makes sense why their isn't a lot due to the N64's limited memory.

Love Doom 64, while I wouldn't call it the quintessential oldschool Doom experience because just like Doom 1&2 lack something that Doom 64 has, 64 similarly lacks some aspects of 1&2 that I enjoy. But it's really interesting, cool, and has IMO the best hell levels.

Amazing and underrated game, especially with the new episode Kaiser developed for the official re-release; it showcases his knack for classic DOOM mapping combined with all the wonderful trappings unique to DOOM 64.

Like I said in the other thread, could be easily my favorite if it had the missing enemies and if the Plasma Rifle and BFG didn't feel nerfed and outclassed by the fully upgraded Unmaker(or laser gun if you prefer to call it that).

The atmosphere just adds to my dooming experience. Aesthetic for me personally is a very important thing, and the atmosphere and look of Doom 64 just really nail it for me. Granted that, I do think some enemies look rather goofy(I'm looking at you Lost Souls, Mancubi, Nobles and Cacodemons!), and I wish they didn't.

I like the inclusion of enemies fading in out of thin air, dart traps and macro scripts that allow for even more creative traps on top of what was already established.

Some maps do have obtuse puzzles, and although I greatly enjoy hell maps, I can see why some people would want more variety. In general, I can understand why some people don't really enjoy it.

In a perfect world, this game would have came out on PC too instead of being an N64 exclusive, it would have had all the enemies, and Doom's near-perfect balance wouldn't have been tampered with. The unmaker would use something else other than cells as ammo so as to not make the other plasma weapons useless, and the game would have been called Doom 3: Absolution!

I have always liked Doom 64. The game's true potential is limited by n64 hardware but also think that the would had been very different if it would had been developed for pc hardware back in the day. I feel that the hardware limitations are the reason Doom 64 had the classic Doom gameplay design and controls, as a pc game, there would had been more pressure to be more "modern".

Doom 64 was also scary for me when I was younger, while I do prefer Doom to be more like colorful arcade action game, the more horror focused style was logical next evolution for Doom at the time and it was done well.

I still like Doom II and Final Doom more but I do like playing Doom 64 more than Ultimate Doom.

1 hour ago, Shark said:

Amazing and underrated game, especially with the new episode Kaiser developed for the official re-release; it showcases his knack for classic DOOM mapping combined with all the wonderful trappings unique to DOOM 64.

Wait, I'm kind of out of touch on this whole thing, I was under the impression that it was yet to be released and now people are talking about its endtext and generally speaking as if it's already out. Is it out? Can I play it on my switch already?

5 minutes ago, Antroid said:

Wait, I'm kind of out of touch on this whole thing, I was under the impression that it was yet to be released and now people are talking about its endtext and generally speaking as if it's already out. Is it out? Can I play it on my switch already?

Yes, it released March 20 along with Doom Eternal (on other platforms).

5 minutes ago, Antroid said:

It was a preorder bonus for Doom Eternal on PC. So it is out right now for PC. 

Does the Doom 64 port just include the new episode from the start? I bought it for the switch and I got it on Steam for my DE preorder, but I didn't notice any new episodes (admittedly I only ran it once and just played the first level real quick for no good reason).

3 minutes ago, Antroid said:

Does the Doom 64 port just include the new episode from the start? I bought it for the switch and I got it on Steam for my DE preorder, but I didn't notice any new episodes (admittedly I only ran it once and just played the first level real quick for no good reason).

You must complete map28 to unlock it. Makes sense since it's a epilogue mapset.

Cooool. Thanks for explaining. This is a fantastic incentive to play Doom 64 again and not just buy it to own it.

I started playing Doom 64 a few days ago and have to say I really like it. In terms of level design I prefer Doom and Doom II, although 64 has some nice extras like the coloured lighting and ambient sounds.

The music is simply superb and in combination with the ambient it creates a really creepy atmosphere. While the first comp base levels reminded me a little bit of System Shock, once you enter the hellish levels it switched over to a Quake-like feeling.

To sum it all up: Great game I can totally recommend. Overall I'd still prefer 1 and 2, but when it comes to atmosphere, 64 is far superior.

Doom 64 is the best Classic Doom experience. I remember buying the game from Woolworths in 1998. I wasn't aware that a Doom game was being released for the N64 and as soon as I looked at the back of the game box I knew it wasn't just another console version of the PC game. I practically ran home to play it. I still hadn't played the PC Doom games yet, only the PlayStation game. Doom 64 was glorious. 

3 hours ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

You must complete map28 to unlock it. Makes sense since it's a epilogue mapset.

Or Hectic, I recall it granting access to the new levels as well.

52 minutes ago, seed said:

Or Hectic, I recall it granting access to the new levels as well.

Nah, only fun levels.

@Chex Warrior The Motherdemon (final boss) is basically a mutated Archvile. She basically resurrects the Hellspawn in this game.

8 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Nah, only fun levels.

@Chex Warrior The Motherdemon (final boss) is basically a mutated Archvile. She basically resurrects the Hellspawn in this game.

Hectic grants access to all levels, not just fun levels.