Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sephiroth

D! zone

anyone remeber that? i was wondering if anyone has seen any copies of it recently? I found one at this old ass computer store, has 500 wads. most of the maps suck but it is kind of a doom collectors item, and at $5 why not. For back in its time it had some good features: randomizing maps, changeing items and such, changing parts of maps(almost like a primative slig), it combined maps into a 'megawad' if u could call it that, and it did other neat things.
sadly it seems to hate win98 and above so i have to use it on the 486. It also will not work with any of the ports. this somewhat confuses me.
do the common ports(zdoom, boom, legacy, edge) use the same command lines as the original(like -file -warp)?

does this program use any of the doom code to do its thing, if so what part(s)?

I know there are many front ends out there, but this one was powerful from the days of doom. also is the company who made it, wizard works, still around?

I asked this question in one of my threads. So, sorry, can't help you locate it. I used to have it, but I never could get it to work with my computer. I thought maybe if I could get it again, I could at least run the levels with a source port.

I'll check KaZaA later if I have time. I really doubt I'll find it. I'll try Amazon.com first, though, which I also doubt...

this was discussed before. I got D!Zone collectors edition form ebay when I started getting back in to doom. unfortunately this is one of those dos programs that can't handle fast computers. I was told by some old dos game fanatics that you can get an application that slows down your cpu clock speed. I never tried it because I started using source ports.

back when I started dooming D! was pretty awesome. I you could play wads from doom1 in doom2. also the randomization of lighting effects was something that would make gameplay in some maps a tad more interesting. I barely used the monster randomizer function because it made things a little ridiculous in some places (I once had a cyberdemon at the beginning of map01). the cd player was pretty cool to. doom with a soundtrack by GWAR >D. but now I wouldn't even bother using any of that stuff. thats my pair of pennies.

I got D!zone so long ago, never really figured out how to use it though. On the box it said you could use it to make your own levels, although I couldn't figure out how to do that. Later I got demons gate, 666 new levels and mods for doom, that was pretty cool. I still remember the first .wad I ever played for DooM. It was called "Bastard" and it had some trees, a path, and some corpses on sticks...Oh the memories.

Ichor said:

A pair of pennies... That's about how much D!Zone costs nowadays.

I paid about $8 and change for it. I've seen it since then for anywhere between 5 and 15 dollars.

If anyoen knows where i could find the frontend for D!Zone I'd appreciate knowing (via ftp or whatnot). Used to have it but can't seem to find my cd anymore .. who knows where it might have got to.

i never had d!zone, just some horrid renegade doom editor's CD that came with a collection of terribly maps from '94 and early '95. i tried looking for it online, but without any luck. i'd be interested in seeing it as well.

I bought both DZone! and its sequel (DZone2! ?) The front end was quite cool for its time, and it was a blast to get so many levels to play. In retrospect, however, I must say those levels sucked pig cojones.

sargebaldy said:

i never had d!zone, just some horrid renegade doom editor's CD that came with a collection of terribly maps from '94 and early '95. i tried looking for it online, but without any luck. i'd be interested in seeing it as well.

The Renegade editor was pretty cool - probably THE BEST VB editor ever made bar none and better than a lot of the other editors back then (had the usual VB slowness for large levels and the VB overflow message now and again). Unfortunately I can't install it in XP to refresh my memory.

D!ZONE levels failed to impress me even back then:) Just so much garbage stuffed to the masses. He made millions though.

So exactly what is a virgin D!ZDONE with orginal box/paperwork worth?

I got D!Match for $1, H!Zone for $1, and D!Zone Gold for something like 75¢.

Gotta love those simulated screen shots...

deep said:

The Renegade editor was pretty cool - probably THE BEST VB editor ever made bar none

gah, no way, doomcad is far better.

I have D!Zone 150. I played all the maps years ago. they weren't very good.

deep said:

The Renegade editor was pretty cool - probably THE BEST VB editor ever made bar none and better than a lot of the other editors back then (had the usual VB slowness for large levels and the VB overflow message now and again). Unfortunately I can't install it in XP to refresh my memory.

I used it for years, paid for the registered version. It was the editor I learned on, and I agree. I even still use it. I've built maps over 1200 sectors with it, so it can handle big maps, you just have to know the program inside and out to avoid its overflows. I've only been able to run it on win98 machines, I don't think it can do anything else. Oh yeah, I NEVER got my free updates!! ;(

I have the Masters levels from a long while ago, contained on the CD is Maximum Doom.. between me and my brother, we've played ever Ultimate Doom wad on there. Surprizingly enough, there ARE some decent levels on there, on top of that, some of the ones of lesser quality are fun to play.

Ed said:

I have the Masters levels from a long while ago, contained on the CD is Maximum Doom.

Yes, some of the Master Levels were quite good. But most of the generic levels were pretty awful, just as those in the DZone! CDs.

Does anyone have 'Wads of Wads'? It's one of the few Doom level CDs where the people putting it together even thought about using quality control. It came out in 1994, so what seemed good back then generally seems pretty crap now, but there's still some nice stuff on it.

The good stuff included the first episode of Cleimos; early versions of Castle Phobos, Chrisk, The Gathering, Crossing Acheron and Dante's Gate; Dead Base, Galaxia, Invasion level 1 (no relation to the megawad), Megawatt and Megalab, Nukemine, SudTiC, and... heh, some REALLY early Enjay wads (nj_castl, nj_soh1 and nj_wads).