Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
3pidemiC

E2M6 "Sinister" = Aliens (1986) "Going After Newt" ?

So I'm sitting here working from home and listening to the soundtrack from my all-time favorite movie and one of the tracks stood out to me. At around 15 seconds of the "Going After Newt" track, you can clearly hear the melody for E2M6's "Sinister". I looked up the list of inspired tracks for the original game and don't see this anywhere. Obviously Aliens has a huge influence on the game, but I didn't realize that the music also seems to have inspired at least one track as well...

Going After Newt: https://youtu.be/UseGOM4epq0

Sinister: https://youtu.be/q7MGbUYslrU

...Back to work. Stay safe all.

Edited by 3pidemiC

Nice catch, the first 7 seconds also reminds me of E2M7's theme "Waltz of the Demons" starting around 47 seconds in.

Something about E2M6 Sinister reminds me of the underworld music in the original Legend of Zelda, but I can't say they really have any bits in common.

3 hours ago, Gokuma said:

Something about E2M6 Sinister reminds me of the underworld music in the original Legend of Zelda, but I can't say they really have any bits in common.

They're both melodic tracks that offer a sense of dread. Love the music in the NES Zelda, especially the theme for the final dungeon. 

Fantastic find!! Ive never picked up on this and I've listened to that OST tons over the years. Well done.

Good ear! I’m wondering if that was a coincidence but for a few seconds there, it’s a direct match up.

Uh... I thought everyone knew. This similarity was already mentioned on Doom wiki about 7 years ago:

JgNAzZu.jpg

I do remember this, because I did a fan art and fan remix related to Aliens reference. And it was uploaded in 2013:

EDIT: good quality image:

dquASWO.jpg

1 hour ago, Deⓧiaz said:

Uh... I thought everyone knew. This similarity was already mentioned on Doom wiki about 7 years ago:

That's not the Doom Wiki, nor was that information ever present on the Doom Wiki.

1) This doesn't negate the fact that such information has long been in the public domain.

2) It's still marked as Doom wiki.

2 hours ago, Bashe said:

That's not the Doom Wiki, nor was that information ever present on the Doom Wiki.

LMAO

Безымянный.jpg

I was very clearly talking about the information claiming it was Going After Newt et al. good god people

39 minutes ago, DJVCardMaster said:

The chad Doomwiki org > the virgin Doomwiki Fandom

JgNAzZu.jpg.87acb4819bd8921407e728261d0a38ab.jpg768141856_.jpg.7c2a38e79cda8435469b4a46d05e61d1.jpg
YEAH! SORCE OF INFO IS MUCH MORE IMPORTANT, THAN ACTUAL INFORMATION!

Can't we just say 'You're not the first person to notice that, but good ear!'?

Also, 'It's on the Doom Wiki' is not the same as 'everyone already knows it', regardless of which wiki it's on. I've been part of this community (as a musician, as well) for quite a while and I've never looked at that particular information. You can bet if I were listening to the Aliens soundtrack and heard that similarity I'd go and tell people about it.

Hell, one of my first posts on this forum was after I noticed one of the Doom sound effects in Doctor Who. Whoops, turns out the sound effects are just stock sounds that turn up everywhere, it's not new information at all.