Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ReeseJamPiece

Region Exclusive Gems

I live in the PAL/Pegi region of the world (Europe) and I've wondered for a while now: What did other countries get that we didn't and what did we get that they didn't?

Well here's some you guys never got!

Well in PAL territories we got this awesome game called Colin Mcrae Rally 04. (I know it was released on Xbox in North America but it was only released on PS2 in PAL territories)

It was this realistic, fast paced and awesome racing game with beautiful graphics.

One I wouldn't call a gem whatsoever but I loved this game a ton: Action Man Robot Atak for the GBA.

It's a (pretty bad) side scrolling platformer based off of the Action Man franchise. (European G.I. Joe)

I still have it for old times sake even though it's terrible, it's £15 if you're interested in getting it. (In the UK it's £15, not so sure of everywhere else)

Little Britain for PS2 was a thing...don't buy it please, the shows terrible too.

A bunch of Telletubby (or however you spell it) and Peppa Pig games for 2000's systems...again don't buy.

Bunch of old PS2 European Football games, I absolutely hate sports but I feel like gotta mention em since it's the national sport of my country, these are: Championship Manager 2006/2007, David Beckham Soccer, England International Football, Gaelic Games Football 1/2, Football Generation, Alex Ferguson's Player Manager 2001, Club Football, Club Football 2005, This is Football 2004 and Fifa 14: Legacy Edition. (probably more but eh it's dumb sports games made to scam chavs out of their money)

Others I'd recommend are the Night Rider PS2 games and GT Racers, pretty okay games but nothing special.

So what are some region exclusives you guys have that people in other regions didn't get? perhaps an obscure Indian fighting game? maybe an American racing game? a chinese visual novel? who knows.

Not really a gem, but the Sega Genesis version of Duke Nukem 3D is quite interesting.

Brazil company Tec Toy had a deal with Sega to manufacture their consoles locally, as such, there was no import tax and Sega's consoles would be the cheapest on the market there. This resulted in the console still being common today and many Brazil exclusive games being produced for it, one of which would be this Duke 3D port.

Horrendous port, but it's interesting to see that such things get made just for 1 market, as it happens on places like Japan. Just wanted to take the opportunity to talk about it.

A japanese exclusive series that I really like is Parodious, a parody version of Gradius, fun games.

And of course, LAST WINDOW: The secret of Cape West, this is where my current profile picture comes from. It was the sequel to Hotel Dusk: Room 215, but since Hotel Dusk apparently didn't sell that well this one didn't come out in North America, turning into a Japan and Europe exclusive. I heavily recommend you play these two games if you like visual novels, all the characters have stuck to me and they are full of moments I'll never forget.

For some reason, Back to the Future for SNES (the only good Back to the Future game that I know of) was only released in Japan.

But hey, if you lived in the US you could still get the NES and Genesis BTTF games... (puke)

In the PC master race - nothing is region-exclusive. Even if it wasn't released in your region, you can always get it, and it will work. 8)

22 minutes ago, cambreaKer said:

pepsiman for the ps1 is japan exclusive i think

I'd be hard-pressed to classify Pepsi Man as a "gem" in any sense of the word.

44 minutes ago, MFG38 said:

I'd be hard-pressed to classify Pepsi Man as a "gem" in any sense of the word.

i saw some gameplay and i thought it was pretty good, haven't played it myself though

This was one of the games I owned back on the PS2, it was only released in Japan as Tsuyiko Ni Sabara and in Europe as 10,000 Bullets. It was very unique, it was very very hard, and it was like lets not have bullet time as a gimmick, but rather the source of how you can possibly survive all of the stuff this game tosses at you. Its soundtrack was in fact composed by Miki Higashino and Yasunori Mitsuda, and it was I think very unfairly buried on its release. This is God Hand if it was a shooter. 

There are a lot of japanese RPG's for the SNES that I like; originally released for Super Famicom. It's a pity that so many games haven't (officially) found their way to the USA or Europe. They definitely deserve more attention and mustn't be forgotten. Luckily, various translation patches, romhacks etc. have been created by fans to make them "playable". For those that loved Zelda, Secret of Mana, Soulblazer, Final Fantasy and so on, it's literally a paradise out there that's worth to be discovered. 

Here are a few examples: 

Alcahest

al.png.babdeec8ed3c1824327d56bf31d78c49.png

Bahamut Lagoon

ba.png.58a7989b6149c14c14e314e8c6399ae6.png

Treasure Hunter

huntergshot26.png.cfa6861f60bc72d1bf6a8513c19cf9c5.png

Live a live

g.png.922c9827be63db67527ad396efd16b05.png

Emerald Dragon

gt.png.e3f4b9f57975409c668c6860f3a501dd.png

Dual Orb II

tg.png.1630d5219f43fff5583964ab83a9c65d.png

Dark Law

tgg.png.c8a1cdc4776c043aaca3c66b432f9d08.png

Name any 2D arcade game ported to the Saturn, chances are it never left Japan*.

*Darius Gaiden notwithstanding. Somehow we got that here in Europe.

4 minutes ago, scalliano said:

Name any 2D arcade game ported to the Saturn, chances are it never left Japan*.

*Darius Gaiden notwithstanding. Somehow we got that here in Europe.

That was the hardest part about being a Saturn owner, half of the games never left Japan, and the ones that did were either rare or ridiculously expensive. But it has the most unique library of any system I've ever seen.