Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LtAkilla

opinions on the newer doom ports on xbox one, ps4, nintendo switch

10 hours ago, Edward850 said:

Nothing you heard is even remotely correct, please stop listening to whomever you heard this from, they don't have a clue what they are talking about. It's the original engine through and through, just running inside Unity as an Operating System.

Maybe I just didn't quite get it, my bad.

It's a very common misconception that people think the new Doom ports are remade in Unity... when it's not.

Surely it is not just me who experiences input lag on both Doom and Doom II on PS4? 1.06 version too. It's not game breaking but I won't be trying Plutonia or BTSX anytime soon. I really hope there's another patch.

I also would love to see the D-Pad be reworked to switch weapons by ammo type, like in the Xbox 360 version. How it is now, you cannot cycle through plasma gun to BFG.

As someone mentioned there are audio glitches that weren't present before.

all that aside, wonderful ports for someone who doesn't game on a PC!

7 hours ago, Cantleylads said:

Surely it is not just me who experiences input lag on both Doom and Doom II on PS4? 1.06 version too. It's not game breaking but I won't be trying Plutonia or BTSX anytime soon. I really hope there's another patch.

I also would love to see the D-Pad be reworked to switch weapons by ammo type, like in the Xbox 360 version. How it is now, you cannot cycle through plasma gun to BFG.

As someone mentioned there are audio glitches that weren't present before.

all that aside, wonderful ports for someone who doesn't game on a PC!

I experience the exact same issue Cantley. This version doesn't feel as smooth as the xbox 360 ports. Plus switching weapons isnt as fast due to the delay of the weapon scroll and the d pad doesnt let you cycle through everything like you could in the 360 versions. The 360 and ps3 versions also include online multiplayer.

As it stands I still prefer the 360 versions to play doom 1 and 2+no rest for the living, and the ps3 version for final doom and master levels. 

If they fix the input lag and weapon switching issues this will no doubt be the best console port in every way, aside from online play.

1 hour ago, Silverforte said:

I experience the exact same issue Cantley. This version doesn't feel as smooth as the xbox 360 ports. Plus switching weapons isnt as fast due to the delay of the weapon scroll and the d pad doesnt let you cycle through everything like you could in the 360 versions. The 360 and ps3 versions also include online multiplayer.

As it stands I still prefer the 360 versions to play doom 1 and 2+no rest for the living, and the ps3 version for final doom and master levels. 

If they fix the input lag and weapon switching issues this will no doubt be the best console port in every way, aside from online play.

This! Finally I have found someone who agrees. Yeah absolutely on the mark regarding weapon switching.

I no longer own a 360 so, I'm stuck with the PS4 versions. As for online play, I don't miss it simply because they weren't very populated in the years I tried them.

Also, I didn't know master levels and final doom were on PS3!

I have way more affection for Doom 2 GBA than the new Doom 2. They might be hundreds of times better, but nothing will beat the nostalgia of my favorite port. Also, I dont have any of these new consoles. Oh, and did you know Doom 2 GBA has a faster SSG?

On 4/21/2020 at 2:36 AM, ZeroTheEro said:

For now, only the Android version can do that.

Just use Delta Touch. :)

19 hours ago, Cantleylads said:

This! Finally I have found someone who agrees. Yeah absolutely on the mark regarding weapon switching.

I no longer own a 360 so, I'm stuck with the PS4 versions. As for online play, I don't miss it simply because they weren't very populated in the years I tried them.

Also, I didn't know master levels and final doom were on PS3!

They are included in doom classic complete, unfortunately delisted...

360 online was pretty fun, back in the day when there were people online. Had some good coop and dm times.

The Bethesda port does use Unity. They just made the game exactly like how it was on id Tech 1. You can even see the mark for the trial version of Unity on the screen.

4 minutes ago, The Strife Commando said:

They just made the game exactly like how it was on id Tech 1.

I'm not sure if you have done this intentionally but this statement right here, as is, is why people keep perpetuating the "they remade doom in unity" falsehood. 

It's not "like" anything, it wasn't remade, it is idTech1, nothing about that changed at all. It still has demo compatibility, it still has the original software renderer. All of it is the same. It's no different from Chocolate Doom, but instead of using SDL2 as an OS interface, it's using Unity. 

55 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

I'm not sure if you have done this intentionally but this statement right here, as is, is why people keep perpetuating the "they remade doom in unity" falsehood. 

It's not "like" anything, it wasn't remade, it is idTech1, nothing about that changed at all. It still has demo compatibility, it still has the original software renderer. All of it is the same. It's no different from Chocolate Doom, but instead of using SDL2 as an OS interface, it's using Unity. 

What about the Unity trial text that shows?

41 minutes ago, The Strife Commando said:

What about the Unity trial text that shows?

I believe I answer that in this post: 

1 hour ago, cybdmn said:

Did you haven't read what he wrote, or didn't you understand it?

24 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

I believe I answer that in this post: 

I think that anyone with not much technical knowledge, with just seeing a Unity on the port name, made them think it is made on Unity.

6 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

I think that anyone with not much technical knowledge, with just seeing a Unity on the port name, made them think it is made on Unity.

They should at least listen when professional game programmers - ones that have worked with id Software on a project no less - tell them otherwise though.

5 minutes ago, Quasar said:

They should at least listen when professional game programmers - ones that have worked with id Software on a project no less - tell them otherwise though.

Yes, they should listen. But even after that, they might ignore it.

Also, i stumble with people that really don't know at all about this new port (even to this day), less that Ed work on the new Doom 64 port with Nightdive.

So why wasting energy and time trying to convince someone that doesn't want to think in a different way?

I just say this because i really appreciate the work you and @Edward850 made for the community.
And its a shame that you both have to constantly repeat yourselves.

17 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

So why wasting energy and time trying to convince someone that doesn't want to think in a different way?

The problem is that while this may sound pedantic on its own, this issue doesn't exist in a vacuum and it leads people to come with with even more strange conclusions, like with xzotikk's post before where he thought the game could do anything because Unity is a "truly 3D engine". This kind of thing can (and has been known to) in turn make developers life's more annoying as people insist on their weird conclusions about how games work.

Never played em but they look fine. I find it strange though that Id still sells Doom with a DOSBOX wrapper on Steam, since they could sell their sourceport instead.

On 7/1/2020 at 2:11 PM, Cantleylads said:

Speaking of switching weapons, something that recently came to mind was whether inventory scrolling a la PSX Doom could be implemented into the Switch ports. PSX Doom allowed scrolling through the entire inventory and conveniently picking up any weapon if I recall correctly.

However, I think such a change would break demo compatibility, which doesn't seem to be something that id wants to do, especially after finally fixing the long-standing desync issues.

5 hours ago, seed said:

Speaking of switching weapons, something that recently came to mind was whether inventory scrolling a la PSX Doom could be implemented into the Switch ports. PSX Doom allowed scrolling through the entire inventory and conveniently picking up any weapon if I recall correctly.

You could also pause the game and switch weapons in the PlayStation version, although the weapon wouldn't actually switch until you resumed the game. I always thought that was a nice touch although I rarely use that feature myself.

1 hour ago, Boaby Kenobi said:

You could also pause the game and switch weapons in the PlayStation version, although the weapon wouldn't actually switch until you resumed the game. I always thought that was a nice touch although I rarely use that feature myself.

Yeah, also that. PSX Doom had some very neat QoL enhancements that have not been seen since on consoles, sadly.

16 hours ago, seed said:
17 hours ago, Boaby Kenobi said:

Man I'd forgot you could do that!! 

On 7/2/2020 at 11:18 PM, The Strife Commando said:

Just use Delta Touch. :)

I don't play Doom on my phone. That's what the Switch Lite is for.

On 7/3/2020 at 4:23 AM, The Strife Commando said:

The Bethesda port does use Unity. They just made the game exactly like how it was on id Tech 1. You can even see the mark for the trial version of Unity on the screen.

"exactly how it was on id Tech 1" is wrong. It is idTech1 with Unity wrapped around it, like what Ed said.

Edited by ZeroTheEro

It would be nice if Dehacked was worked into there somehow. I would love to play Deathless with lost souls that have lower health