Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LtAkilla

opinions on the newer doom ports on xbox one, ps4, nintendo switch

Recommended Posts

what is your opinions on the newer doom ports for modern consoles honestly for me i love them but there are a few issues i have with them like the music loops aren't exactly right and the fact that the aspect ratio is 4:3 but other than that i think they're pretty solid.

Share this post


Link to post

Love the Switch version of classic Doom.  Just downloaded it last week, and it's my go-to from now on.  I play it in hand-held only, with the original soundtrack turned off, and Aubrey Hodges’ Extended PSX Doom soundtrack playing through a laptop next to me.  The hand-held screen is extremely forgiving and perfect for Doom...old as the original may be, it still looks good to me.  Controls take a little getting used to but they’re fine.  I don’t mind the 4:3 ratio one bit...there’s the option to go 16:10, but I stick with 4:3.  But with the better-than-ever frame rate (bumped from 35 to 60 FPS) and earlier bugs having been corrected, I can’t recommend the Switch version enough. 

Share this post


Link to post

at first it sucks as much as the BFG Edition.

now it went past the suck phase to must-have phase. 

 

over the year after release it got fixes, tweaks, additions and it even just got a new patch and PWAD recently.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, ZeroTheEro said:

at first it sucks as much as the BFG Edition.

now it went past the suck phase to must-have phase. 

 

over the year after release it got fixes, tweaks, additions and it even just got a new patch and PWAD recently.

i agree heavily 

Share this post


Link to post

It is a great way to play the game, but now, I think they should add more add-ons since you can basically get all the DOOM stuff online. Maybe if they made a PS1 version of DOOM 1993 as an add-on it would be cool.

Share this post


Link to post

I have the Switch version. It's a great port! I'd play it more if it had horizontal motion aiming, but unfortunately I can't stand aiming with an analog stick. Also fast monsters doesn't work correctly in nightmare. I'd like to see them add network play, but that's probably just wishful thinking. Great port nonetheless.

Share this post


Link to post

I never thought I’d see the day where I would be able to play pwads on console. Sure it’s picked out for me but it’s still a quality pick. I really hope they continue to add more pwads.

Share this post


Link to post

It would be nice for some online multiplayer. And also transfer custom doom wads from pc to any device with as card or usb as long as it’s vanilla compatible.

Share this post


Link to post
37 minutes ago, Angelloproduct said:

And also transfer custom doom wads from pc to any device with as card or usb as long as it’s vanilla compatible.

For now, only the Android version can do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

They might be better than the GBA ports, but playing Doom 2 GBA is what gives me that nostalgia feeling (Since my first experience with Doom was Doom 2 on the GBA) but I guess they are okay. Lacks -fastmonsters on Nightmare! though, so it's just UV -respawn with double ammo.

Share this post


Link to post

I was very disappointed at first since the audio was glitchy once more (ps3 audio never got fixed). But since it's been patched i fell like it's one of the best console ports ever released, to me it's in the top three. The add-on system is the cherry on top.
Also, does someone know if the original art for menu background is available somewhere? Id really like to use it as wallpaper.

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Deimos said:

I was very disappointed at first since the audio was glitchy once more (ps3 audio never got fixed). But since it's been patched i fell like it's one of the best console ports ever released, to me it's in the top three. The add-on system is the cherry on top.
Also, does someone know if the original art for menu background is available somewhere? Id really like to use it as wallpaper.

Doom2-DMENUPICBFG.png


Do you mean this?

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, ZeroTheEro said:

Doom2-DMENUPICBFG.png


Do you mean this?

Yes, that's the one thanks, i have to find it at a higher res if it exists.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm not aware of any higher resolution version of that art besides the one that's in the Unity resources files (and I think that one is basically ~400px tall)

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, sponge said:

I'm not aware of any higher resolution version of that art besides the one that's in the Unity resources files (and I think that one is basically ~400px tall)


The ps3 version's xmb background was 1080 tall guess? Or maybe it was something different.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Was it full resolution or just upscaled with nearest? I don't remember at all.

Share this post


Link to post

I'd take a look if I could, as I own DCC on PS3, but my console is currently bricked, as its wifi/Bluetooth adapter broke. 

Share this post


Link to post

My Switch Doom is now updated to the 1.0.6 version...and I'm finding some bugs that weren't there before.  Occasional frame hitches (some more severe than others...runs smooth as silk the rest of the time).  And some sounds are cutting off before they're complete...seems kinda random as to when this happens, but it's noticeable when it does.  

 

Anyone else seeing this?  

Share this post


Link to post

There's something very wrong with mouse and movement, I can't put my head around it.

Share this post


Link to post

i prefer gzdoom on pc but doom on the switch is great. i have yet to look into the add ons though 

Share this post


Link to post

I'm not sure, but I heard that the games are recreated in Unity. And since Unity is a truly 3D engine, you could technically do some interesting stuff with these console ports. If you could mod them, of course..

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/20/2020 at 3:08 PM, Nich said:

I have the Switch version. It's a great port! I'd play it more if it had horizontal motion aiming

 

Doom64 onn the Switch have that, and it is a great addition. Would love to see that added to the classic Doom games too. It makes horizontal aiming much more precise.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, xzotikk said:

I'm not sure, but I heard that the games are recreated in Unity. And since Unity is a truly 3D engine, you could technically do some interesting stuff with these console ports. If you could mod them, of course..

Nothing you heard is even remotely correct, please stop listening to whomever you heard this from, they don't have a clue what they are talking about. It's the original engine through and through, just running inside Unity as an Operating System.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, xzotikk said:

I'm not sure, but I heard that the games are recreated in Unity. And since Unity is a truly 3D engine, you could technically do some interesting stuff with these console ports. If you could mod them, of course..

 

That's what I thought at first too, but I later turned out to be mistaken.

 

Unity is mostly being used as a cross-platform middleware, to make the game easy to port to a bunch of platforms without having to (re)write a bunch of platform specific code.  It's also used to create the menus, since Doom's original UI code was barely passable on the DOS machines of the day and is not fit for purpose for the kinds of interfaces that needed to be made on modern systems.

 

800px-DOOM_Classic_-_Video_settings.png

 

But it's still the original Doom code being run when you get to the actual game - all of the telltale software-rendering light falloff, spite positions, and wipes all still there.

 

DOOM-II-Classic-Review-Screenshot-3.jpg

Share this post


Link to post

for me, since I finished the game, am all about the add-ons. occasionally, I play DOOM again. Final DOOM and NEIS I don't like. I like Double Impact, NRFTL, and BTSX (even though it has an insane difficulty). And I love Si6il and Deathless! 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, LiT_gam3r said:

for me, since I finished the game, am all about the add-ons. occasionally, I play DOOM again. Final DOOM and NEIS I don't like. I like Double Impact, NRFTL, and BTSX (even though it has an insane difficulty). And I love Si6il and Deathless! 


This rise a question on my head: is there somekind of balance made to the new add-ons to be played on console?

 

I didn't atempted it aside from playing PSX Doom long ago, but i remember it being hard, specialy, for the difficult handling with the joystick. So i think it will be the same on the new consoles, but someone can illuminate me into this and i might be wrong.

 

Have you tried those wads on PC, @LiT_gam3r? Maybe with the keyboard mouse setting they are easier for you.

I played all on HNTR and they are challenging in some parts, but not frustrating at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, P41R47 said:

I didn't atempted it aside from playing PSX Doom long ago, but i remember it being hard, specialy, for the difficult handling with the joystick. So i think it will be the same on the new consoles, but someone can illuminate me into this and i might be wrong

 

The Doom games on modern consoles are straight ports of the PC originals unlike PSX Doom. The controls are far better in these games but it is still a little awkward when selecting weapons compared to a keyboard.

Edited by Boaby Kenobi

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/13/2020 at 6:41 AM, LiT_gam3r said:

 I think they should add more add-ons since you can basically get all the DOOM stuff online. Maybe if they made a PS1 version of DOOM 1993 as an add-on it would be cool.

Obviously, many factors would have to be taken into account, both from a marketing and curating stand point.

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Boaby Kenobi said:

 

The modern Doom games on consoles are straight ports of the PC originals unlike PSX Doom. The controls are far better in these games but it is still a little awkward when selecting weapons compared to a keyboard.


Oh, i see, well so the new add-ons don't need a rebalancing to adjustate for the handling of a joystick, i think. But well, i can't tell for sure as i didn't have the oportunity to try em.

Shame my last console was a PSX :/

Also, surely console gamers are more accostumed to play FPS with joystick. I seen some YT recordings of FPS console gaming and WOW!

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

Have you tried those wads on PC, @LiT_gam3r? Maybe with the keyboard mouse setting they are easier for you.

I played all on HNTR and they are challenging in some parts, but not frustrating at all.

It isn't about the difficulty for me. NEIS and Final DOOM don't feel like DOOM to me. TNT is sort of, "Did I get it, did I get it! I think I got it!" to me, Plutonia is "Goddamn, there is literally no fun in here" and NEIS is just a "meh" IMO. Difficulty is not the worst for all of these (since I think BTSX is harder) it is just that they don't have that "ready for action" feel for me that the original DOOM has. 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×