Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Job

Doom Eternal Confession Session

I changed the difficulty from UV to HMP after dying dozens of times in that lava arena before the first mech. Haven't looked back.

I think the game keeps track of deaths, because far later, I randomly got offered the sentinel armor buff. But I turned it down. A man has to keep some measure of pride. 

Well, I spilled it. What's your guilty conscience carrying? 

For my initial playthrough of the campaign I changed the difficulty from Hurt me Plenty down to I'm Too Young To Die because Doom Eternal was vigorously piledriving me in the ass. Since than I've increased the difficulty as I developed a better feel for the game.

I didn´t figure out the "magical" chainsaw and complained about ammo. Now I am ashamed and also annoyed that system is even implemented.

Also, I did get few extra lives by replaying and collecting everything before the final missions and probably made my playthrough much easier.

51 minutes ago, Job said:

I think the game keeps track of deaths, because far later, I randomly got offered the sentinel armor buff. But I turned it down. A man has to keep some measure of pride. 

If you die a number of times during a boss fight, you get offered sentinel armor.

Speaking of sentinel armor, I used it for the final 2 bosses on UV. Not that it was hard per se, but I was kind of anxious to get it over with and didn't want to keep dying at the end of the game.

probably a few, just finished the game.

I decided on running the game blind for secrets, I found 90% of them on my own but I had to look up for at least around three or so secrets. The Pain Elemental figure is the one secret that frustrated me the most to be honest. I took like a couple dozen tries to break the secret wall, and few more tries to get into the secret room itself.

Died at marauder for a good few times because of my keyboard's W key kept popping off during the heat of the moment. Changed keyboard to an older one after the marauder fight at the Nekravol and after that I was killing him within a single try.

Used the sentinel armor twice.

I too, whinged about the lack of ammo, till I started actively using the chainsaw and flame belch. I feel dumb. Now it's all magic!

Also bumped the difficulty down. Will try UV again later.

I got utterly filtered by the first encounter with the Marauder. Lowered the difficulty all the way to the easiest setting and never looked back.

I think I used the Flame Belch approximately 3 times across my entire UV playthrough. The first half of the campaign, I was just feeling sensory overload quite honestly. By the time I got comfortable with the combat, I guess my brain had reached maximum capacity when it came to remembering all of the mechanics in the game, and the Flame Belch didn't make the cut. :P 

I have since grown accustomed to using it.

I fired my BFG at the final boss and he just...moved to the side and dodged it. Was not expecting that. 

I considered doing the same from NM to UV but I knew it'd get easier once I'd have all the weapons and runes I wanted. First levels are notoriously difficult in doom 2016 too where imps just rek your shit

Just now, sleepiii said:

I considered doing the same from NM to UV but I knew it'd get easier once I'd have all the weapons and runes I wanted. First levels are notoriously difficult in doom 2016 too where imps just rek your shit

Eternal is the same. That opening fight in the mall-like area with the Arachnotrons is a pain in the dick on UV when all you have is a shotgun and dinky assault rifle.  

I spent 20 minutes trying to jump a ledge only to realize there was a wall climbing section in plain view, I got so angry I stabbed my monitor with a screwdriver and now it has 3 big scratches on it

i slightly punched a hole in my wall because i couldn't nail the last few wall jumps on urdak, And now  there's a reminder for why i hate fps wall climbing segments

OURuy.jpg

NOTE: i did beat the game but now i have to go fix the fudging wall

I got really frustrated with the marauder secret encounter and tried like 20 times (to be fair a couple was to get ammo, I didn't die I so I just ended up with empty mags a few times) then later I realized I never got the ssg upgrade for reload speed, felt like eating the ssg barrel after I beat him in one go with the upgrade.

I spent about 5 minutes running around that one arena in Taras Nebad looking for the buff totem before I noticed the Archvile

5 hours ago, Job said:

I changed the difficulty from UV to HMP after dying dozens of times in that lava arena before the first mech. Haven't looked back.

the one where you are in hell for the first time right after the 3 big doors, right? yeah on UV first playthrough i also was seething after dying numerous times at that one. had to turn it down to HMP. it hurt my soul but i finished the campaign on HMP, am now trying a UV run. also that arena in the lava is complete BS because i constantly was getting stuck on things and not grabbing ledges properly. all the more rage fuel. early on in the game is super rough until you get at least 4-5 weapons. i think the SS is the turning point where the game becomes more manageable.

also, the buff totem fights are just... no. just give me the flame boi. i'd rather fight an actual enemy and not go on a goddamn scavenger hunt. shame they didn't have more Archvile fights and opted for buff totems in some areas. 

lastly, the final jumping section on urdak and the water stuff in taras nebad were not fun at all. fuck those sections. 

Lot of pent up anger I'm seeing here. I also feel weird because no platforming sections gave me any trouble. 

Got stuck on the Taras Nabad water room because I didn't realize dashing is what breaks walls underwater, not punching. 

I didn't find any of the platforming sections difficult (though I think the game could have done with less platforming overall...), but I got a bit angry with a few battles I kept failing over and over again (played the whole game from start to finish on UV), and hit my mouse against the mousepad. :P

A couple of times it slipped from my hand and flew off... thankfully nothing broke.

TIL you can kill the Marauder's dog summon. I can't believe I just figured that out, but it makes the fight a lot easier. 

I used the plasma rifle on shields maybe twice, and basically only for the ARC Complex mission challenge. Normally I'd just rocket the shield guys' backs, and blood punch carcasses before they had the chance to spam shields at me.

On 3/29/2020 at 12:30 AM, skepticalbiscuit said:

the one where you are in hell for the first time right after the 3 big doors, right? yeah on UV first playthrough i also was seething after dying numerous times at that one. had to turn it down to HMP. it hurt my soul but i finished the campaign on HMP, am now trying a UV run. also that arena in the lava is complete BS because i constantly was getting stuck on things and not grabbing ledges properly. all the more rage fuel. early on in the game is super rough until you get at least 4-5 weapons. i think the SS is the turning point where the game becomes more manageable.

also, the buff totem fights are just... no. just give me the flame boi. i'd rather fight an actual enemy and not go on a goddamn scavenger hunt. shame they didn't have more Archvile fights and opted for buff totems in some areas. 

lastly, the final jumping section on urdak and the water stuff in taras nebad were not fun at all. fuck those sections. 

The last jumping section in Urdak where you have to hit the target while in mid-air is just...no.

On 3/28/2020 at 7:39 PM, Seeker_of_Truth said:

If you die a number of times during a boss fight, you get offered sentinel armor.

Speaking of sentinel armor, I used it for the final 2 bosses on UV. Not that it was hard per se, but I was kind of anxious to get it over with and didn't want to keep dying at the end of the game.

I am on Final Sin on HMP and, if I die enough such that I’m offered Sentinel Armor for the Icon of Sin, I plan on using it to simply get the game over with at this point.  (It’s been a blast, don’t get me wrong, but I’m about ready for a fresh play-through from the beginning.)

1 hour ago, Sitting on a cornflake said:

I am on Final Sin on HMP and, if I die enough such that I’m offered Sentinel Armor for the Icon of Sin, I plan on using it to simply get the game over with at this point.  (It’s been a blast, don’t get me wrong, but I’m about ready for a fresh play-through from the beginning.)

The Icon offers Sentinel Armour after your first death. Not even joking.

My confession is actively forgetting the existence of the equipment launcher.... for 3 missions straight. Honestly my NM playthrough was hell since I was dying left and right by mancubi and whiplashes without even considering freezing them in place.

The first Slayer Gate in Exultia, I managed to beat it... and then immediately rushed out of the room and forgot to pick up the key. So I had to go through the whole level later on and do the gate again.

6 minutes ago, thewormofautumn said:

Really? How?

Splash damage for sure. I've killed it with a stray frag or rocket before. 

On 3/28/2020 at 10:45 PM, Job said:

I changed the difficulty from UV to HMP after dying dozens of times

same