Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Job

Doom Eternal Confession Session

7 hours ago, BarabaszEnthusiast said:

Something we can all agree on is that low-ammo mechanic is bullshit, it has even less sense if 2 weapons share ammo (this sharing ammo thing denies weapon switching intention, for example balista makes plasma rifle useless). What is even more bullshit is platfroming, really abysmal idea and I hate it, now I am just using noclip to skip all of this crap. Also "the floor is lava" design sucks big dicks especially during Urdak boss battle.

I don't agree.

7 hours ago, BarabaszEnthusiast said:

Some people here (and in general) remind me of reviewers complaining that Marauder is unfair and bad designed and at the same time they are showing their abysmal fight againts him and their sloth reflex (most of them are console players, I wonder why). Some of you don't like the game, no wonder if you don't use essential mechanics like meat hook, flame belch of ice bombs, next time you will refuse to jump in super mario and you will be whining how stupid and bad designed the game is.

I haven't seen these people here.

Im gonna use this post as one part confession of sheer fucking stupidity and one part warning to others as to not be so STUPID and do this:

So I’m messing about in the Doom fortress as I’ve just found all the LP’s so I’m hopping around the fortress seeing where the various tracks a placed. 
Looking at the map I notice theres one right down at the entrance of the Demon slaying practice area ( can’t remember what it’s called off the top of my head while writing this) so I go and check it out.

While doing this I realise I’ve not been back in the practice arena since the game takes you there during the story.

So I jump in.

I go in , the fight starts and it throws EVERYTHING at me straight away including an archvile which to be honest I’m not ready for....I only came in for a look as it was......... I then realise I can’t remember how to stop the fight and return to the Fortress. So I pause the game and instead of going back to the main menu which is what I should’ve done I reset the mission which I thought would put me back in the Fortress by default. 
Well it did do that but...... resets EVERYTHING back to the point after you've just killed the Icon of Sin. 
So all those collectables I went back and got, all those hidden gore nests and YES even the Slayer Gates had all been reset to “Not Complete”

I’m annoyed to fuck.
Anyway folks, don’t do this. 
Fuck Sake..... 

Edited by Eurisko

3 hours ago, Eurisko said:

Well it did do that but...... resets EVERYTHING back to the point after you've just killed the Icon of Sin. 

That actually sounds like a bad design choice or oversight.

I'm glad I haven't used that option.  I always assumed it would simply warp you back to the beginning of the current level.

1 hour ago, TheUltimateDoomer666 said:

That actually sounds like a bad design choice or oversight.

I'm glad I haven't used that option.  I always assumed it would simply warp you back to the beginning of the current level.

Normally if you’re in a mission the reset checkpoint option does take you back to the last checkpoint you passed. 

Using it in the fortress of Doom after completing the story however resets you back to that point no matter how much you’ve gone back and collected. 

"Load checkpoint" and "Reset mission" are two different options, they work the same in missions and at the Fortress. "Reset mission" loses progress, "Load checkpoint" does't.

Beaten the game 3 times, once on Ultra Violence twice on Nightmare.

Still haven't unlocked the Unmaykr on any playthrough.

3 hours ago, STILES said:

Beaten the game 3 times, once on Ultra Violence twice on Nightmare.

Still haven't unlocked the Unmaykr on any playthrough.

You’re not missing much, it’s not particularly useful without the unlimited ammo cheat.

I technically don't have the proper hardware to run it, being that my CPU is a lowly FX-4350, which technically isn't even enough for 2016

Using the crucible on a Tyrant only to hit an imp jumping at you instead was annoying. Also a neat way of balancing it. 

I have never used full auto.

Or Micro Missiles.

Or Microwave Beam.

Or Remote Detonate.

Or Destroyer Blade.

Or Frag Grenades.

All these mods were upgraded and skipped via Mastery Tokens.

Also the Chaingun was so underwhelming I forgot it existed when listing the weapons above. I have never used the shield mod for it in actual combat. I just grinded its mastery by reloading a checkpoint containing 5 fodder demons.

1 hour ago, SYS said:

Using the crucible on a Tyrant only to hit an imp jumping at you instead was annoying. Also a neat way of balancing it. 

Countered by looking up before slashing a Tyrant, which I learned the hard way. Prevents the "selfless sacrifice".

10 hours ago, SuperchargedEuthanasiaDiv said:

Or Micro Missiles.

Or Microwave Beam.

Or Remote Detonate.

Or Destroyer Blade.

Or Frag Grenades.

All these mods were upgraded and skipped via Mastery Tokens.

Also the Chaingun was so underwhelming I forgot it existed when listing the weapons above. I have never used the shield mod for it in actual combat. I just grinded its mastery by reloading a checkpoint containing 5 fodder demons.

Countered by looking up before slashing a Tyrant, which I learned the hard way. Prevents the "selfless sacrifice".

I said it several times and it applies to both D16 and Eternal: There is only one useful mod per weapon, and the other is just there, you can use it but is just not as good as the other one, they are there to have variety for the sake of variety, the devs idea is for the player to change between all the weapons and all the mods constantly in a fight (and the other stuff like chainsaw grenades etc) but in practice is not either practical or useful.

For what they were going for, just an alternate fire mode in each weapon would have been enough, but they went overkill with everything.

I have 77 notifications and i will try to answer them all, i just have little time to be here right now.

I shamefully gathered dozens of Extra Lifes at the start of Exultia via Mission Select, before taking on Taras Nabad in the campaign on UV. I've never lowered the difficulty level, but spamming Extra Lifes is no better really.

That was before I knew how to deal with Marauders effectively. I am now on a Nightmare run and handled the Slayer Gate well using only the Extra Lifes I find along the way. I lost only 1 in the gate, but still struggle at times with the damn Marauders, despite sometimes killing them in as little as 5 sec.

It's always something with this game, but I like it a lot. Because of the steep learning curve, there are always ways to improve your gameplay, and that adds a lot of replay value. Looking forward to the campaign DLC. 

I died in the first level on Ultra Nightmare. I havent touch it since that day...

On 6/16/2020 at 5:49 PM, SuperchargedEuthanasiaDiv said:

same

Or Micro Missiles.

Same... though I wish I had then that glitch was found that turned the HAR into an absolute beast, autofiring multiple scoped rounds.

Or Microwave Beam.

Mostly the same, but it's finally been improved in the last update. It's quicker to kill an enemy. I have killed Tyrants with it in my latest playthroughs. Burns through a lot of ammo though.

Or Remote Detonate.

Same. Not even sure I've enabled it.

Or Destroyer Blade.

Same. Siege Mode on Gauss > Destroyer Blade. In fact, Gauss >>>>>>>>> Balista

This is where we part ways. The chaingun is so unbelievably powerful. I love love love using it, it tears through everything. Never the shield mod though.

7 hours ago, Endless said:

I died in the first level on Ultra Nightmare. I havent touch it since that day...

On my first UNM run I died continually in the first level when you encounter the second arachnatron (locked subway). I kept backing away to the stairs and was either killed by the arachnatrons grenades or (embarrassingly) a zombie. The stairs are littered with my death markers. So frustrating. Once I got the HAR scope a minute later it all went smoother 

worst part of dying in Hell on Earth is that you can’t skip King Novak droning on and on in the beginning. The cut scene is only skippable from the Mars flyover and onwards 

Just now, thewormofautumn said:

worst part of dying in Hell on Earth is that you can’t skip King Novak droning on and on in the beginning. The cut scene is only skippable from the Mars flyover and onwards 

Exactly the reason why I haven't tried again after already like 5 deaths lol.

My R is starting to wear.

The first weapon mod I unlocked in Eternal was the full auto shotgun mod. I played Doom 2016, I should have known better.

I committed heresy unto the soundtrack by muting it during the Khan Makyr's boss fight and playing other music. Just wasn't feeling it like I did the other boss themes, and with how badly UV was kicking my ass I needed a real banger in this moment to keep me going.

In my defense, committing heresy is kind of a theme in the Urdak mission. Also the music I chose was Celldweller (this song specifically), and both Klayton and Mick Gordon did music for Killer Instinct 2013, so that's, what, 2 degrees of separation max from Mick? Yeah, I'm going with that.

Had my first ever ragequit today after losing three lives in quick succession to an Empowered Mancubus that the game in its unquantifiable shitfuckery decided to spawn during the Super Gore Nest escape sequence. What little room I had to maneuvre in was taken up by another Mancubus.

That option is now disabled forever.

I admin a club on Xbox Live about all the Doom games, but mostly 2016 and Eternal the most.

My sin?

Liking battlemode clips even though I don't ever watch them, because I don't like battlemode, lol... I know, it's too horrible a sin for words.

On 8/17/2020 at 11:36 AM, scalliano said:

Had my first ever ragequit today after losing three lives in quick succession to an Empowered Mancubus that the game in its unquantifiable shitfuckery decided to spawn during the Super Gore Nest escape sequence.

I would call something like that more of a time out than a ragequit. To me, ragequitting is primarily when someone inexcusably leaves an online match due to less than desired results. There's times I've been up too late and quit playing the campaign because I couldn't get through an otherwise simple platforming section. Then when I go back the nest day it makes all the difference. Anything you do on your own time is legit, excluding maybe tossing a mouse or controller at the wall and breaking it. Now that IS a form of offline ragequitting, and an expensive habit.

So I had a horrible day in Battlemode (as in I completely got massacred in every single match both as the Slayer and as a demon even against completely new players), which caused me to realize something.

Doom Eternal is probably the one game that somehow makes me tilt like no other game yet, and that goes for both the campaign and Battlemode. I've already broken two controllers which has never happened before, not even during my younger days when I played CoD multiplayer religiously. I punched the punching bag until my fists get sore or bruised, I ended up throwing my controller at the floor (it's carpet).

With the campaign, I think it's because I either end up being inconsistent to the point of a coin flip (either I go through entire levels on Nightmare difficulty without needing so much as an extra life or I end up dying over and over in one particular area), or I just get completely rekt in Ultra-Nightmare. The latter is particularly infuriating because I keep hearing about others dying in levels like Sentinel Prime or Nekravol, but I end up getting rekt in that one halfway point in Exultia, and that's if I'm lucky (at one point, I actually died in that barge arena in Hell on Earth).

As for Battlemode, usually I tend to be around average, but god forbid I come across a Slayer that's actually competent (or a demon team that's competent) because my shit will more often than not get wrecked immensely. What especially pisses me off is that countless people have been relentlessly shitting on Battlemode and I know that the guys at id are super-proud of it, and I want to enjoy it as much as they intended.

Honestly, I'm not angry at the game for "being too hard" or anything like that. I'm angry with myself because this is probably the first Doom game where I think of myself as being complete garbage at it. And while it may be that one game that tilts me like no other, I still find it to be extremely fun and one of the best FPSes I've played period.

EDIT: Ok, I just wanted to get that off my chest because it's been something I've been dealing with for months. I gotta keep telling myself that I'll get that gold skin someday, and when it comes to Battlemode... it is what it is, I suppose.

As I said, my time in Battlemode today was probably the worst day yet (case in point, a two-Marauder team deliberately trolled me by one of them going into hiding each time I killed one of them until I got too tired to focus and I ended up messing up, and it all went downhill from there plus that first round went for over 15 minutes; another example was when a Revenant/Marauder team were instagibbing me for no good reason).

And then after that, I literally lost every single match I had (and they were all blowouts, both as the Slayer and as a demon).

Edited by Man of Doom

29 minutes ago, Man of Doom said:

I punched the punching bag until my fists get sore or bruised, I ended up throwing my controller at the floor

You take this waaay too seriously...

13 hours ago, thewormofautumn said:

You take this waaay too seriously...

Inside the game, it's Rip and Tear. Outside the game, for some, it's hit and swear. Just a Doom fact of life.

Lately I've been playing Portal Stories: Mel, and I have to say the feeling at times like you're too stupid to figure out the puzzles isn't really any better than being made to feel like a noob by demons in any Doom game. That said, in Mel I haven't stooped to looking online for videos. It takes me a while sometimes, but eventually I get through it on my own.

I play BattleMode throughout the week (solely as Slayer) but after months of practice I win maybe 1 out of 15 rounds or so.