Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LtAkilla

What is the worst console doom?

I agree, 3DO is the worst port, Art Data Interactive told everyone they were going to add stuff like a story, more monsters, enemies, weapons, etc, but rather than you know, doing that, they hired 1 programmer(Rebecca An Heineman), and told her she need to just make optimizations, so she's like "alright hand me the source code" and they spend 2 WEEKS dicking around and making excuses so she called up Id and they gave her the Jaguar source code, then she finds out Art Data Interactive barely did anything at all, it was just compiling, nothing else, no optimizations, new weapons, nothing she does what she can given the limited time, and get's it to sorta run on the 3DO, then of course the complete idiot running the whole thing was like "hey man wheres the new levels and weapons?" because this idiot thought you could just draw some weapons, drop it into the game files hit 'compile' and it would just work, and Rebecca's like "where's my 90% complete source code you EGG", then the idiot that hired her printed 250,000 copies of the game, which was how many 3DO's EXISTED, so it would be physically impossible to sell them all, Art Data Interactive went out of business soon after.

Yeah it’s been discussed many times before but the worst is clearly the 3DO.  The re-recorded soundtrack is quite good and really the only 3DO’s selling point, though that style never did it for me the way Hodges’ tracks do.

The only console version (from the era described by the OP) that I consider even remotely worthy anymore is the PSX version...with the completely new soundtrack, revamped sound effects, throwing of Doom 2 enemies into Doom 1 maps, and new lighting and overall grittier and generally darker vibe, there was enough there to make it stand out on its own.  It obviously had limitations (stripped-down Jag maps for most Doom 1 levels, slower enemies, a sorely nerfed revenant and no archvile, a frame rate that absolutely plummeted for levels like Sever The Wicked and Perfect Hatred, etc), but for the time, it was excellent, and the PSX controller worked wonderfully with it.  It made all of the other console versions back then (even some that followed) pretty much little more than vastly inferior curiosities, and some levels were actually BETTER than their PC counterparts (Tower of Babel for sure...flaming sky, Mancubi, and much creepier and more intimidating than the PC equivalent).

But anyway, you really have one version from the list in the post above that’s compelling enough to stand out and occasionally come back to, with the rest just not really worth playing anymore...especially with such killer versions having been released since.  So even if the 3DO version in the hands-down worst, not like I consider any of the non-PSX Dooms worth messing around with in 2020.

Edited by Devils950003

On 3/29/2020 at 4:56 AM, Devils950003 said:

Yeah it’s been discussed many times before but the worst is clearly the 3DO.  The re-recorded soundtrack is quite good and really the only 3DO’s selling point, though that style never did it for me the way Hodges’ tracks do.

The only console version (from the era described by the OP) that I consider even remotely worthy anymore is the PSX version...with the completely new soundtrack, revamped sound effects, throwing of Doom 2 enemies into Doom 1 maps, and new lighting and overall grittier and generally darker vibe, there was enough there to make it stand out on its own.  It obviously had limitations (stripped-down Jag maps for most Doom 1 levels, slower enemies, a sorely nerfed revenant and no archvile, a frame rate that absolutely plummeted for levels like Sever The Wicked and Perfect Dark, etc), but for the time, it was excellent, and the PSX controller worked wonderfully with it.  It made all of the other console versions back then (even some that followed) pretty much little more than vastly inferior curiosities, and some levels were actually BETTER than their PC counterparts (Tower of Babel for sure...flaming sky, Mancubi, and much creepier and more intimidating than the PC equivalent).

But anyway, you really have one version from the list in the post above that’s compelling enough to stand out and occasionally come back to, with the rest just not really worth playing anymore...especially with such killer versions having been released since.  So even if the 3DO version in the hands-down worst, not like I consider any of the non-PSX Dooms worth messing around with in 2020.

Jaguar Doom still has its charms. Mostly due to the way the game uses the keypad to swap weapons. 

But yeah, the PS1 version is king of the original console ports.

I would say the worst is the 3DO port too from what I've seen.

Check this vid out, Its been posted before on Doomworld in other threads but it's still worth a watch. 

This is DF Retro's take on every console port of Doom excluding the new ones on PS4 etc......

Enjoy.

1 hour ago, famicommander said:

Jaguar Doom still has its charms. Mostly due to the way the game uses the keypad to swap weapons. 

But yeah, the PS1 version is king of the original console ports.

I'll always have a soft spot for Jag Doom because that was my introduction to Doom.  I remember being a little disappointed initially because Wolfenstein 3D moved so much more smoothly by comparison (though obviously much simpler, in terms of tech).  I remember reading some reviews, some of which wondered "Where's the music?"  As I had never heard the music at that point, I didn't really know what I was missing.  And yeah, was cool to just dial up a weapon, no cycling.   

I almost didn't buy the PS version, because I was thinking "Well, already played it on the Jag", but for the time, I was very blown away by PSX Doom (played it initially on a 19" CRT TV).  Blew the Jag version out of the water...better resolution, revamped sound effects, all of the lighting effects...and of course, an ambient soundtrack that I still consider one of the best ever made.  I find the Jag hard to go back to mostly because everything in the distance looks so damned blocky.  Just feels like too much of a step back.  Also helps that I have a PSOne with the screen attached...that helps PSX Doom look a bit better.  Sadly the frame rate is so rough on Perfect Hatred that I usually stop playing there.  But the Switch download of Classic Doom is so good (as was the Xbox 360 Live version) and just so damned smooth that I now find the PSX Doom kinda hard to go back to...especially with the lack of texture variation.  As cool as the overall vibe of PSX Doom is (dark and creepy), some levels just look too simplified to me now (and of course you have deleted animation frames).  And it's hard to go from 35fps (360) or 60fps (Switch) to the teens-to-20s (though most of PSX Doom seems to be in mid-20s).  

Edited by Devils950003

On 3/31/2020 at 6:14 PM, famicommander said:

And for how the jaguar renders the graphics in the CRY color space. It creates a very unique tint to the graphics, and very smooth depth cueing.

42 minutes ago, cybdmn said:

And for how the jaguar renders the graphics in the CRY color space. It creates a very unique tint to the graphics, and very smooth depth cueing.

This is a very correct and underrated take. There was absolutely a unique aspect to the Jag's lighting/rendering engine, and you could tell right away. 

It's a tossup between Saturn and 32X for me (haven't played 3DO version yet). The former for being well after the fact compared to the PSX release, and having disabled colored lighting despite still being on the disc, the horrendous frame rate that renders stuff like the end of Tricks and Traps virtually impossible to complete, and the silly sped-up weapons that feels like I'm cheating and destroying the otherwise slower reacting monsters. The latter for essentially being a beta that got dropped onto the shelf with a severe lack of content and absolutely dreadful music playback. My third place option would be the SNES because of its behavioral inaccuracies of weapons and enemies more-so than its visual fidelity, it still had a great deal of content from the PC game, more-so than other console ports at the time and was a technical feat for sure.

I'm torn between the 3DO and the Saturn being the worst.

The Saturn port eats absolute shit in a spectacular way, the sound goes through every channel that isn't the correct one unless by mistake, the frame dip cause by the hilariously inefficient engine makes any map with hazards nightmare fuel and the odd quirks with the soundtrack leave me feeling on edge because I inherently think there is something wrong.

The 3DO However is the product of incompetence, the poor girl who programmed it got shafted by an inept studio, the game chugs like a frat bro and the actual fact that it was the single worst selling port of Doom makes me hate it more.

Also the 3DO's music is cool and all but I can't support music made by a Fucking pedophile

GBA is still the worst, but why did they have doom on the snes and not the genesis. The whole point of the genesis is to be more gory.

1 hour ago, Herefornow said:

GBA is still the worst, but why did they have doom on the snes and not the genesis. The whole point of the genesis is to be more gory.

When Doom was released for the SNES in 1995, SEGA began to pull the plug out of the Genesis, because their next generation of consoles was available or at least shortly before become available. Nintendo on the other hand, was still in the development phase for their new console, the N64.

2 hours ago, Herefornow said:

Technically Doom was already available for the Genesis (over nine months prior to the SNES release), via the 32X add-on.  Given how nerfed the 32X version was, I can't imagine that a non-32X Genesis version was ever considered.  

4 hours ago, Devils950003 said:

Technically Doom was already available for the Genesis (over nine months prior to the SNES release), via the 32X add-on.  Given how nerfed the 32X version was, I can't imagine that a non-32X Genesis version was ever considered.  

Makes scenes

7 hours ago, Devils950003 said:

Given how nerfed the 32X version was, I can't imagine that a non-32X Genesis version was ever considered.  

I guess, SEGA would have used the SVP (only really used in Virtua Racing for the Genesis) in a possible Genesis Doom cartridge, as Nintendo have done with the SuperFX.

9 hours ago, Herefornow said:

The GBA port is way, way better than the 3DO, SNES, Saturn, or 32X ports. It's not even remotely close. The 3DO and Saturn ports are close to unplayable, the SNES port is super rough, and the 32X port is windowed with only 15 levels and no monster infighting. The GBA port isn't amazing but it's at least playable and immediately recognizable as Doom. Not as good as the PS1 or Jaguar ports, but head and shoulders above the other older machines.

As for the Genesis, if Doom performed as poorly as it did on SNES with the Super FX chip on the cart, there's virtually zero chance of a playable experience on Genesis.

19 minutes ago, cybdmn said:

I guess, SEGA would have used the SVP (only really used in Virtua Racing for the Genesis) in a possible Genesis Doom cartridge, as Nintendo have done with the SuperFX.

Even with the SVP chip, Virtua Racing on Genesis absolutely pales in comparison to Virtua Racing on 32X. 

Now imagine the same level of dropoff from 32X Doom.

18 minutes ago, famicommander said:

Even with the SVP chip, Virtua Racing on Genesis absolutely pales in comparison to Virtua Racing on 32X. 

Now imagine the same level of dropoff from 32X Doom.

Yeah this.  Would’ve been a lot of effort for lousy results.  Virtua Racing for the Genesis also cost a fortune.  Was $100.

I think most people would agree with the 3D0 version for the sheer fact that it has the worst performance. This video shows the game at its fullest size, only accessible via cheat, so this is not entirely representative of intended performance. Still, it's quite the slideshow, and even SNES Doom has a more playable framerate.

5 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

I think most people would agree with the 3D0 version for the sheer fact that it has the worst performance. This video shows the game at its fullest size, only accessible via cheat, so this is not entirely representative of intended performance. Still, it's quite the slideshow, and even SNES Doom has a more playable framerate.

The only good thing about this port is it's amazing soundtrack!

On 4/7/2020 at 11:24 AM, Devils950003 said:

Given how nerfed the 32X version was, I can't imagine that a non-32X Genesis version was ever considered.  

Yet we still got a Duke 3D genesis version, a Doom one wouldn't surprise.

Honestly, besides PSX Doom, GBA Doom also still has it's charm, of course not the best, but it is not unplayable at all, I'd be playing it on a GBA all day if I had it, and you can even play deathmatch if you get some other crazy people that also are willing to deathmach on GBA Doom instead of the many other options available now.

1 hour ago, Senor500 said:

Honestly, besides PSX Doom, GBA Doom also still has it's charm, of course not the best, but it is not unplayable at all, I'd be playing it on a GBA all day if I had it, and you can even play deathmatch if you get some other crazy people that also are willing to deathmach on GBA Doom instead of the many other options available now.

More like Duke Wolfenstein (I didn’t even know that the Genny got its own uber-stripped down version of Duke).  Doesn’t fill me up with hope that a non-32X version wouldn’t have been a complete disaster. 

GBA Doom has its little place...I bought a GBA strictly for Doom and a couple of arcade compilations.  It just feels SO damned primitive...I couldn’t get into it...felt like too much of a step down from the PSX version (90% of my Doom plays had been with that version at the time).  GBA Doom reminds me of the (very loosely paraphrased) “Just because you could doesn’t mean you should” Jurassic Park quote.  But something to be said for the fact that it could be done at all and be playable I guess.

2 hours ago, Senor500 said:

It is a vary stripped down Duke 3D. As mentioned before, the engine is more like Wolfenstein 3D. The graphics still sucks, as well as the framerate. At least it runs in full screen, unlike the other FPS on the genesis like Bloodshot.

6 hours ago, cybdmn said:

It is a vary stripped down Duke 3D. As mentioned before, the engine is more like Wolfenstein 3D. The graphics still sucks, as well as the framerate. At least it runs in full screen, unlike the other FPS on the genesis like Bloodshot.

It's Duke 3D the way that Atari 2600 Pac-Man was supposed to be Pac-Man.  It's BARELY Duke 3D.