Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
⇛Marnetmar⇛

Terminal [/idgames]

Pretty cool map! The blue key area and lights bit at the end were super neat, although by the end I was hyped up for a big scary encounter that never came. Maybe nix the plasma rifle pickup, as the action never seems to get so hectic that it becomes a necessity.

43 minutes ago, Obsidian said:

Pretty cool map! The blue key area and lights bit at the end were super neat, although by the end I was hyped up for a big scary encounter that never came. Maybe nix the plasma rifle pickup, as the action never seems to get so hectic that it becomes a necessity.

Glad you like it! I was pretty conflicted about putting the plasma rifle there myself. Normally you'd find the chaingun in its place and the exit would actually be a teleport to a bigger fight, but I felt the map was getting a tad too self indulgent so I decided to release a trimmed down version so as to not alienate people who weren't in for a 20 minute (quasi)slaughterfest. 

Very good map. Straight up classic flow.

The plasma gun is the only gripe I have. It doesn't serve any purpose as Barons don't appear nor about 6 Cacos in one place, for example, in order to prove its efficiency.

So either remove it & put something else OR use Barons/multiple Cacos in the last area or something.

====

I'm also providing a recorded demo in the zip file.

terminal.zip

Good id inspired map with my only complaint being the low enemy count. A level of this size could stand to have more enemies on higher difficulties. For example, you could have teleported some Specters in after the red key is picked up. Overall though pretty decent map but would be better with some more enemies sprinkled throughout.

Your hallmaps are second only to the man himself, Marn. This was great. Didn't find any secrets tho so I'll have to play it again!!!!!!!!!!!!

also all glory to the sacred leg

doom67.png.84460353db4f507ee6c7c7b0bb25ab32.png

On 3/29/2020 at 12:18 AM, Marn said:

The uncut version is almost ready and I will update this post when it's done

Sweet, think I'll hold out for that ver. Call it the uncensored edition ;-p

Beautiful style, very faithful to the vibes of E2. The blue key ambush was one of the first that's actually made me jump in a long time just because that green gargoyle face suddenly filled the entire screen as I was running forward. I love thrilling little moments like that. The 'base corruption' aspect as you get past the halfway mark is awesome as well and I had a lot of fun lobbing rockets in the larger rooms near the end. The little trick to reaching the exit was a cute touch as well.

Oldschool flavor without the fat, just the way I like it.

Good call on cutting the extra stuff out. It's fine, but it feels like playing an entirely separate map which is maybe what you should use it for.

I'm fixing to upload this to idgames within a week. If anyone finds any bugs or otherwise gamebreaking issues in that timeframe, please let me know. 

Edited by Marn

Pretty cool map, reminds me of the monorail section from Doom 3, Containment Area and some parts of Halls of the Damned and Command Center.

Played it on UV on Crispy Doom.

It felt kinda empty for the most part, that foreboding moment when everything goes dark felt tense i expected a massive ambush of spectres, tankfully you weren't unnecessarily cruel. 

Didn't find any bugs or issues, except a small slime trail on a random column, but is pretty unnoticeable.

Skill 4 FDA

('uncut' version)

As said, there's a palpable "E2 HD Remaster" feel to the proceedings here, with lots of clean 'civil service' -looking environments with low ceilings and complex interconnections, and a certain subtlety/less-is-more approach to blending the military/sci-fi and more horrific/occult elements. True to that section of the original game, most of the blueprints are abstract but one periodically encounters places that have a sort of stylized realism to them that's suggestive of 'real places' - a luggage carousel, a stockyard, etc. -- without ever encroaching on abjectly 'doomcute' territory. I think Tom Hall would approve.

The atmospheric intermezzo between picking up the red key and the final part of the map was particularly striking, I liked that a lot -- it's telling that it successfully invokes a tension, a certain apprehension or scariness, in a map (and more generally, a genre) which on the whole is not evenly remotely practically scary (for a veteran). More broadly, there's a sure hand taken with somewhat slower/less conventionally modern approach to pacing, with lots of dropped beats or delays and pauses in the action which, again, captures the quiet eeriness of The Shores of Hell.

That said, while I am glad the map eventually goes in an 'all-action' direction and shoots for big, loud climax for contrast, rather than trying to be slow-burn all the way through (mainly a matter of personal preference, mind), it was my opinion that the final parts of the map, where the rocket launcher comes to the fore, are absolutely begging for so, so much more violence, a much bigger bodycount if nothing else. All those rockets, all that space, and me running around at 200% health accumulated from blue potions alone, versus a somewhat sparse smattering of imps and pinky demons does read as a mite off-kilter to me. I was also not entirely sold on ending on another dropped beat (the final areas are cool-looking visually though) following right after the mild rocket-strolling, but this could well be rationalized as being in service to a follow-up sometime. 

This will be the final update to Terminal unless someone finds an issue that I missed before I upload it to idgames.

Changes include:

- Health and ammo have been significantly rebalanced and some monsters have been swapped out. The difficulty curve should now be a lot more consistent.

- The cut version has been re-implemented as E2M3 of Terminal.wad

- The blue key trap is working again

- Some minor aesthetic upgrades

Terminal.zip see OP

Edited by Marn

Excellent map. Very immersive, actually. The map meshes pseudo-realism with Ultimate Doom's iconic abstractness perfectly. Reminded me a lot of Nihilism: Infinite Teeth (which makes sense considering its an e2 replacement). I feel like nearly every e2 map was referenced somewhere in here. Just when I was asking "where's the crushers?" they show up! Great stuff.