Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HombreSal

Who here has beaten Doom 1 and 2 on Nightmare?

It's insane. I can't even win the first episode lol. I can't imagine how nuts would I go having to play 32 maps, especially pistol starting them all.

But still, would it be great and satisfying to say "I beat it on nightmare". Someday, I probably will.

I've heard that E1 is one of the hardest episodes to beat on Nightmare, because of all of the shotgunners everywhere. Later episodes have more Imps, Cacodemons, Lost Souls and Barons instead, which are easier to avoid than instantly-attacking hitscanners. I've beaten E1  on Nightmare in ZDoom using saves, but that's it, and that was a long time ago. I suspect without the added ease of playing offered by ZDoom's mouselook and finer aiming, I'd not have gotten through.

I've completed the whole thing on Nightmare (likewise with Doom 2 and NRFTL), but only on continuous play, have not attempted it on pistol start

I've done Doom1 on nightmare, excluding Thy Flesh Consumed, and with continuous play and lots of saving. It's quite doable that way but not something I found overly fun. Like @Phobus said, hitscanners are vastly more dangerous than projectile-throwers on NM, and pinkies are also pretty tough, so E1 is quite a bit harder than E2 or E3, and E4M1 is just silly.

I managed E1 and E2 recently. I can't even imagine Doom2 on Nightmare, you who have must be astoundingly good, hope I never run up against you in a deathmatch!

2 hours ago, JustAPrank said:

Don't you basically have to speedrun in NIGHTMARE?(cause enemies respawn every 30 seconds)

Basically you won't get anywhere without knowing speedrunner shortcuts and when to BFG\rocket launcher unless you've already played nightmare a metric ton and ascended to an even higher masochistic level where you can do nightmare with shotgun only (except on dead simple because bullshit respawns fucking over with exit and sometimes locking you forever)

Farthest I got was E1M7 and gave up. Last time I tried a year or two ago I got to E1M3. It's just not very enjoyable to me so I stick with Ultra Violence.

I have beaten E1 and 07 first maps of Doom 2 back when I started playing Doom.

Anyway, never seen anyone attempting NM-Max.

Edited by TheNoob_Gamer

This thread has inspired me to give it a go after I've finished Doom Eternal & 64, no way I could do it on Pistol starting, that's just bonkers. 

6 hours ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Anyway, never seen anyone attempting NM-Max.

If you take UV-Max rules and apply them to Nightmare difficulty, then any level where player can't kill all enemies and exit under ~30 seconds would be boring to watch and record because of waiting for enemies to fail to respawn.

On 3/30/2020 at 5:45 AM, JustAPrank said:

enemies respawn every 30 seconds

Isn't it randomly between 30 seconds and five minutes?

If using savegames counts, then yes, I've completed both games on NM in the 90s. Even with savegames, Doom 2 is quite hard and you need to watch out so you don't save yourself into an unbeatable situation. I still remember that at first, I wasn't able to beat MAP02, but after some tries I managed and it kind of worked for me from there. Then in MAP16 my savegames went corrupt, so I had to start with a pistol from there. I haven't felt the urge to revisit NM ever since beating the Icon of Sin. :P

Not gonna lie, I've beaten some levels, mostly because they are quite short and it is easy to exit them before any monsters respawn. The only challenge is Fast Monsters.

E1M1:- I'm pretty sure everyone has beaten this.

E1M8:- This was a real challenge because of the fast spectres (and pinkies too, at the beginning) but I managed to do it without saves. The bruiser brothers made the fight easy and they were easy to kill. You know, the spectres are the real bosses of this map.

E2M1:-Not as short as E1M1, and difficult. Done without saves but it was hard.

E2M8:- Okay. This isn't as hard as you think. Once the cyberdemon's dead, the cyberdemon's dead. No respawns cause the map ends after it dies. Cybie isn't affected by -fast much. Lost souls can't be a problem if you keep moving.

E3M1:- Big areas, no hitscanners, short map. The pinkies were a little scary.

E3M8:- NM makes the fight a whole lot easier by doubling ammo. And bless the baron. You know why. :)

Map01:- Whoever can't do this, I dunno what to say to you.

Map30:- I thought it would be impossible for me. But with saves I did it. Also at the time of killing it I was killed by someone else.