Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The_SloVinator

WADs/levels with emotional MIDIs

Have you ever encountered a wad or at least one map with emotional midi?

And if so, which one is it & where is it from (which wad)?

We all know about E1M8 & TNT Map 31 but what about PWADs?

Recently I played Favillesco Alpha Episode 2: Desecration on Thebe for Ultimate DooM & for the most part the midis set a very melancholy mood throughout the maps. It was....quite an experience.

Resurgence Map31's track - named "Day of Mourning", composed by stewboy. That one could be considered "emotional".

Here it is (uploaded by V1per, btw!)

Erkatane, map09, midi version of Children - Robert Miles. So nostalgic.

In the video OPL is used. Couldn't find a video with native midi. 

First thing that came to mind is Eviternity in several maps - 13, 18, 26 and 29.

26 is specifically a tribute map to a fallen Doom community member, so that one has some more impact than the others.

29 is a huge compilation of Jimmy songs, and it really helps build up the feel of the penultimate map and nearing the ending of your adventure.

Lost Civilization has some pretty nice emotional midis fit for the maps they're presented at.

Alien Vendetta MAP08 is a good one.

Doom E1M8.

Doom 2: README.

TNT Revilution MAP15.

TNT Evilution MAP31.

Many others.

Edited by pcorf

Plutonia Experiment's Music Pack has some tracks that are pretty emotional and calm. (Always Watching, Jade Empire)

Also, I think that Doom 1 and 2's victory themes deserve a mention.

TNT MAP05 (track name More, by Tom Mustaine) can also be emotional as well.

The midi  rendition of "Pull me Under" by Dream Theater in Dark Resolution 2008 map 10. It fits so well with the high difficulty , the mysterious starry sky , the generalized darkness. It's emotional and brutal at the same time.

In game :

The midi itself :

the zones of fear map which uses mussorgsky's "il vecchio castello" is just so beautiful and unparalleled
a really weird set piece level, too, not professional or polished but just so place-y and eventful that it rules hard

the mucus flow's midi is also mindblowing to me. used just as well in tourniquet's "Miasma" and some other good community maps i've forgotten the titles of

a lot of btsxe2 and sunlust maps have great depthy music

every map that's ever been made with a daggerfall midi in mind is also automatically brilliant

what was Bucket's spiders midi the soundtrack for? that map

zekhmet's entire soundtrack is very emotional, too bad the project leader had to go to jail

John Weekley - Arcadia, Arcadia Demade (from Arcadia Demade)
Esselfortium - Mystproj (from Back to Saturn X E2)
Final Fantasy - Another World of Beasts (from Sunlust)
Paul Corfiatis - Runaway Train (from 2002: A Doom Odyssey)
Janek Szulew - Waiting for the Evil (from Batman Doom)
Eris Falling - Frozen Wilderness (from Eviternity)
Eris Falling - Cry of Desperation (from Plutonia MIDI Pack)
Dial-up-for-murder - Ice (from Eviternity)
Stuart Rynn - 24 (from Back to Saturn X E1)
Janek Szulew - Streets of Gotham (from Batman Doom)
Janek Szulew - Streets of Gotham II (from Batman Doom)
Edwin van Veldhoven - Danielle's Face (from Hellcore)

stewboy's music really gets me. He has some absolutely sublime work in Ancient Aliens that truly speaks to me on an emotional level.

"Imaginarium"

"Colliding Nebulae"

"Desk Lamp"

"The Last Dance"

"Yuletide"

He's got some really beautiful pieces in various other Doom projects including "Garden", "The Greater Good", and "After the Storm".

His non-Doom piece "Cloudrunner" that I wound up using in Project: Kate MAP03 is just a fabulously emotional piece from start to end. It might be association, but I just get really choked up when I listen to it now.

Another piece "Dance of the Reindeer" hits me in so many ways. One of his best songs by a country mile.

Ocean Flute by stewboy is also a very moody song, and sounds like something that came from a PS1 JRPG. Used in Sunlust map21, and probably other wads too.

When I was little and first played Dwango5, the MIDI on map03 (Something I Can Never Have) creeped me out big time. It reminded me of the music from the Halloween films. To my younger self, it added to the creepiness factor that the map was just a heavily altered version of the regular map03.

Some MIDIs aren't that emotional, but they make me feel a strong nostalgic emotion and have a hint of sadness to them - the music from map04 of Alien Vendetta is one of those!

Another would be the opening shot of Earth.wad, watching the waves crash while Stand By Me plays.. Even though the wad itself is so-so, that's probably still the best opening shot I've ever seen in a Doom wad. It's just so serene. (Apparently I was the only one who thought so because there are like 12 friggin' videos of people playing this wad on YouTube and every single one just turns around and zooms away so fast that they probably couldn't even see the waves! I need to make a video where it's just the marine standing there, taking it in for a minute.)

Edwin van Veldhoven - Danielle's Face (from Hellcore Dwango6)

Fixed ;)

Edited by Doomkid

This is not a MIDI, it's a MOD (like a MIDI with sound samples packed in) that was in some cyberpunk deathmatch wad on ZDaemon a long time ago.

An actual midi that comes to mind is from Jimmy's MIDI pack, "Island in the Night Sky (ft. Sodaholic).mid" from the sadly abandoned Koliko's Adventure.

The ending of BTSX episode 1 - the music is "Undersea" by Esselfortium, not only beautiful and harmonically rich but it also loops seamlessly.

Also, the music for map03 of EOB2S.WAD, by Jon Landis (don't know the title) is a contemplative and slightly melancholy piece, ironic considering the level in question is themed around deadly radiation.  Can't find any clips of it (it was also the music for the text screens in STRAIN.)

Journal, from the game Flashback and used in MAP01 of Sunlust. A perfect blend of emotional music that blends atmospheric with some slight action vibes.

Then there's Hall of Collosia theme from Secret of Evermore on MAP03, Dead Sea theme from Chrono Cross (MAP08), Dreams from Incredible Machine 2 (MAP25). Sunlust's got a lot.