Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheNoob_Gamer

Does anyone read text-based walkthroughs? If yes, please leave WAD suggestions

I apologize if the title is offtopic, because this post really isn't.

So recently, I have an idea of becoming a Doomwiki contributor and have noticed the lack of text-based walkthroughs on here for a long time; so I want to start contributing by writing some of them.

However, since this kind of walkthrough is pretty obscure nowadays, am I basically wasting my time writing these?

EDIT: Apparently the reception has been pretty positive. Since my time is short, I want you to leave any suggestions that you see fit.

Suggestions must meet the following criteria (will be updated over time):

• I prefer writing on smaller wads (1-15 maps), but I may take megawads.
  • Each maps can have short to decent (long playtime are rare cases); however WADs with "too short" playtime (<4 mins) may be weeded out. 
  • I do take suggestions for WADs that use custom monsters and/or monsters, though these aren't my priority.
  • WAD must already have a basic entry (describing the basic details, such as port, map names, map numbers, etc.). This is to prevent troll/joke wad suggestions (there are some special cases like Mock 2, but these are so exceptional they got covered already)

List of WADs with completed walkthroughs:

<none>

Edited by TheNoob_Gamer

I like them and even wrote some for the wiki, I tend to get distracted when watching a video walkthrough so I prefer having it in text. I'd say go for it if you're interested!

I prefer text walkthroughs as it is easier to navigate to the exact part of the level I am stuck on

Make sure if you want to do it, be as accurate as possible. Have an editor tab open while you play a wad, dissect the action as you go and make note of possible differences with regards to difficulty settings and thing placement.

Sincerely,

The looner who made the Sunder walkthroughs

Focus on the progression of the level, like switches, keys and other triggers. Don't waste time with mentioning the combat. You could probably use -nomonsters to load a map and quickly go through it and textually describe the required progression. Try to describe landmarks of the map so the player doesn't get lost.

Try to avoid saying things like "room with Barons" or "room with the Blue Armor" because thing placement in a map can change depending on difficulty. It could be Hellknights in a lower difficulty instead of Barons! Also, if the player is using a Total Conversion mod the monsters or the items will be different.

If something is hard to miss or difficult, mention it. Say things like "you now have to shoot a hard to spot switch on the opposite side" and "a small platform has now been raised near the start of the map".

The only reason I don't read Doom wads walkthroughs is because there barely are any, so I would read them if you wrote them.

Level 15/31 secret exit walkthroughs are especially useful, I often need those

If you would like to start writing, there are several Ultimate DOOM episode replacements/single maps/miniwads. One of them is a 2000 E2 replacement named Classic Episode (or so I recall), followed by a 2006 E1 replacement confusingly named Classic Episode 2.

6 hours ago, InDOOMnesia said:

followed by a 2006 E1 replacement confusingly named Classic Episode 2.

Just check the wiki, how is this confusing?

On 3/30/2020 at 11:09 AM, TheNoob_Gamer said:

I prefer writing on smaller wads (1-15 maps), but I may take megawads.

What exactly are you looking for in regards to this if I may ask? Are you looking to make walkthroughs for longer maps (I did one for Cheogsh for example)? Because in that case you'll definitely want to make note of quite a lot of stuff (for instance in the Cheogsh walkthrough I made note of the new monsters, their attacks, and HP values, among other things). Or are you interested in shorter levels where the walkthroughs will of course also be short?

A few short megawads I think already got covered (both Scythes for instance) but a few of the lesser-known megawads like Realm of Chaos (which mostly has short maps) should do fine. And I'm pretty sure if you search by PWADs by name you can find a lot of single-level maps or so.

14 minutes ago, NuMetalManiak said:

I made note of the new monsters, their attacks, and HP values, among other things

Why? Most people chekc out walkthroughs when they are lost in a map and don't know where to go. Or when they want to find all secrets or the secret exit.

5 hours ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Just check the wiki, how is this confusing?

The first one is E2 replacement, while the second one is E1 replacement. :P

15 hours ago, NuMetalManiak said:

What exactly are you looking for in regards to this if I may ask?

Currently, I accept any type of WADs within said length, however WADs with custom monsters and/or weapons aren't my priority. Each maps can have short to decent (or even long, but that's rare) average playtime.

Edited by TheNoob_Gamer