Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheNoob_Gamer

Civvie 11's take on Doom Eternal

At last, Civvie has released his Doom Eternal review.

Apparently he has mixed feelings - he likes and hates the game.

Spoilers included of course. Doom 64 Lost Levels in the middle (19:01 onwards) for anyone interested.

Edited by TheNoob_Gamer : Of course he likes the game more, he is still very much critical about the bad parts, lol.

Man even Civvie says "git gud". 

Seems like a "hate to love it" kind of relationship. He did eventually say it blows 2016 out of the water once it all comes together.

I'll wait until I've finished it before I watch this. I'm very curios though as to what he makes of this very unique and different take on the Doom formula.

Knowing how big doom fan civvie is, I expecting from this video much more praising for eternal. I was wrong, he surprised me.
Looks like he did not decide what to think about it.

And GIT GUD? Really?
As soon as chainsaw cool down USE IT. Almost base rule of all RPG games, elements of which eternal have, if you fast recharging skill already recharge use it.Even if it would not be the most optimal choice right now, use it. Dont waste time on waiting for more suitable moment. Because most of a time amount of time you spend waiting for that particular moment is large enough to recharge this skill twice, or even thrice.

His gameplay was.... not very good.

Most of the gameplay he had shown was him sticking around in one space of the arena at a time rather than constantly zipping and zapping over to dodge and deal with multiple threats at once. The mods he had chosen for his weapons were questionable at best (Full auto is just straight bad on the shotgun yet he still uses it in the late game despite grenades being far superior, Microwave beam is also probably the worst mod in the game IMO over the heat blast considering the sheer potential of heat blast), he almost never uses the ice bomb from what I've been seeing which pretty much scales into an absolute monster of a weapon. Finally he uses the Unmaykr over the BFG which while I personally love the weapon, is just not as good as a full wave clear on the BFG.

His fights against the Marauder was equally not good at all. I am aware of the fact that Marauder is absolutely punishing of an opponent and can be severely unfun for many new players. At the same time though, if you get your positioning right and remember your combos and actually bait his melees (by forcing him to sprint at you since 80% of the time its a melee attack) he becomes completely trivial of an enemy. All compared to the Archvile which IMO is a much more dangerous threat considering what his summons and buffs do (doesn't even mention buff totems which are a far larger problem than what marauders are capable of).

Honestly I feel like he needs to replay the game at some point in the future with a different mindset or playstyle in mind. He was trying to play Doom Eternal like how you would normally play Doom 2016 and maybe later parts of 3 on UV difficulty, which is absolutely punishing for even veterans in the series. Maybe then he can actually get a legitimate review across and either appreciate the game or absolutely hate it.

Personally, I'd rather take on any number of Archviles, Barons, etc over a single Marauder. In my second run through Tabas Nadoodah on UV, I killed the Archvile before he had even finished summoning a wave of enemies. The Marauder however, still cost me a life.

6 minutes ago, Urthar said:

Personally, I'd rather take on any number of Archviles, Barons, etc over a single Marauder. In my second run through Tabas Nadoodah on UV, I killed the Archvile before he had even finished summoning a wave of enemies. The Marauder however, still cost me a life.

Marauder is kind of a push over once you realize you are supposed to use high DPS combos on him.

4 hours ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

he likes and hates the game.

He did get annoyed with Marauders and Platforming

But I doubt he hates it. He loves most of it at least

13 minutes ago, Urthar said:

The Marauder however, still cost me a life.

Thing is, they aren't too difficult by themselves, but when you are surrounded by monsters, that is when it gets messy.

The boss one in ARC Complex is fairly easily compared to some of the other ones.

15 minutes ago, Urthar said:

I'd rather take on any number of Archviles, Barons, etc over a single Marauder.

Arch-Viles are way worse, trust me

1 hour ago, ZALGO said:

Honestly I feel like he needs to replay the game at some point in the future with a different mindset or playstyle in mind. He was trying to play Doom Eternal like how you would normally play Doom 2016 and maybe later parts of 3 on UV difficulty, which is absolutely punishing for even veterans in the series. Maybe then he can actually get a legitimate review across and either appreciate the game or absolutely hate it.

This.

Civvie had some really bad moments.

I'm not a Doom veteran by any means but I managed to beat it on UV fairly easy after learning the flow. (Except Marauders and Khan Makyr Boss)

Cultist Base is where it teaches you the most.

You have the SSG and when you get the flaming meat hook, everything becomes easier even the Slayer Gates

Combo'ing weapons is fiddly and simply not my playstyle. Additionally my reactions just aren't fast enough to react to the Marauder green flash, whenever I've tried playing his game I've just ended up with an axe in my forehead. The method I found reliable and which allows me to control the fight, is faltering the Marauder with Sticky Bombs (which also happily one-shot the dog.)

(Actually never much problems with monsters that accompany a Marauder, I just kill them quickly and then return to fight the Marauder.)

2 minutes ago, Urthar said:

Combo'ing weapons is fiddly and simply not my playstyle. Additionally my reactions just aren't fast enough to react to the Marauder green flash, whenever I've tried playing his game I've just ended up with an axe in my forehead. The method I found reliable and which allows me to control the fight, is faltering the Marauder with Sticky Bombs (which also happily one-shot the dog.)

Most basic way to do it really is stagger him with SSG, quick swap to Ballista and fire, swap back to SSG and fire, repeat a few  cycles. Maybe throw a grenade in between swapping.

1 minute ago, Urthar said:

faltering the Marauder with Sticky Bombs (which also happily one-shot the dog.)

You can damage him, but you won't kill him.

8 minutes ago, Agentbromsnor said:

How do people think he came off hating it? I thought he was mostly praising it like everyone else...

They probably watched only half the video and decided to comment

straight up says it blows 2016 out of the water, regardless of if he’s not the best at it.

6 minutes ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

Most basic way to do it really is stagger him with SSG, quick swap to Ballista and fire, swap back to SSG and fire, repeat a few  cycles. Maybe throw a grenade in between swapping.

Sure, I've seen the video where a player took him down in under 10 seconds, and my hat's off to the guy, but there's no way I'm pulling that off.

5 minutes ago, The Doommer said:

You can damage him, but you won't kill him.

No, he dies. One sticky bomb just behind his feet to stun him, and then a second one attached to his body, and rinse and repeat until he turns blue.

3 minutes ago, Urthar said:

Sure, I've seen the video where a player took him down in under 10 seconds, and my hat's off to the guy, but there's no way I'm pulling that off.

No, he dies. One sticky bomb just behind his feet to stun him, and then a second one attached to his body, and rinse and repeat until he turns blue.

It's doable if you manage your hotkeys properly to be able to switch between multiple weapons at once.

I personally find the SSG, ballista, SSG to be much more consistent though so I'm cool with the combo as it is. Personally never found the Marauder difficult after the first playthrough once I learned of his Sprint-melee cheese.

Archies are kill-on-sight yes with grenades or crucible, but you can't deny that leaving the archie alive for even a few seconds will mean the difference on how you would handle the arena compared to a single marauder. (Those buffs are insane, especially on prowler or any of the Knights caste.)

4 minutes ago, ZALGO said:

I personally find the SSG, ballista, SSG to be much more consistent though so I'm cool with the combo as it is. Personally never found the Marauder difficult after the first playthrough once I learned of his Sprint-melee cheese.

The only thing that pisses me off about him the most is the wolf.

Other than that, the combo will work very well

Good video as usual, i felt like he did not talked about as much stuff as he could but there is just a lot of things to talk about.
I also really liked that he talked about the flaws the game has: botomless pits, cringe worthy story, platforming, dumb tutorials, etcetera.
Overall i enjoyed it, and that Marauder parody was really funny.
Oh, and he kinda sucks at playing the game.

2 hours ago, Agentbromsnor said:

How do people think he came off hating it? I thought he was mostly praising it like everyone else...

He probably haven´t got on his knees and praised everything about it. How dare he... pointing out things he didn´t like.

That video is basically heresy and should be taken down ASAP.

You love it and worship everything about it or you are factually wrong, no balanced opinion or constructive criticism allowed.

6 minutes ago, Shawny said:

He probably haven´t got on his knees and praised everything about it. How dare he... pointing out things he didn´t like.

You love it and worship everything about it or you are factually wrong, no balanced opinion or constructive criticism allowed.

You know, ironic shitposting is still shitposting. 

2 hours ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

They probably watched only half the video and decided to comment

I watched all of it and then decided to comment. He did have some very critical moments.

34 minutes ago, Shawny said:

I don't really get why people are surprised about this; he reviewed classic Doom before and he was critical there as well.

Doom Eternal's difficulty is because of us, The fan-base Dubbed The Nightmare difficulty of Doom 2016 as a "Fucking joke", So the next best thing that the developers could do was put the people who complained in there place by ramping up the difficulty to 100, Eternal is not for the casual doomer, It's plays more like Slaughter-maps more then anything else, You may have been a god at Doom 2016 But Eternal reminds you that your not, It will make you it's bitch and won't apologize for it, But that IMO is a great thing since you don't even have to play 2016 To understand anything, The game itself is a fresh and new game with new mechanics and plays more like a re-imagining to Doom II. (Honestly IMO i prefer Eternal over D2 any day)

Now don't get me wrong but IMHO Doom 2 was a disappointment to me, The game's levels were a bit too complicated for my liking and lacked the cool aesthetics of Doom 1.

He was right about one thing though: Arachnotrons should NOT be able to shoot their weapons through GLASS WINDOWS without breaking them!

7:27 in video

1 hour ago, Foebane72 said:

He was right about one thing though: Arachnotrons should NOT be able to shoot their weapons through GLASS WINDOWS without breaking them!

7:27 in video

I think that was a glitch.

Is it not?

5 minutes ago, The Doommer said:

I think that was a glitch.

Is it not?

That happened to me too. I can attribute that place as the very first death I get in the game.

1 minute ago, ZeroTheEro said:

That happened to me too. I can attribute that place as the very first death I get in the game.

Funny that I never faced something like this...

30 minutes ago, The Doommer said:

Funny that I never faced something like this...

You were probably lucky then.

Civvie really needs to polish his skills (particularly the mobility skills). This is one of the few occasions where GManLives played better than Civvie (I usually consider Civvie a better player than GMan).

Other than that, it was a well done review. He praised the game where it should be praised (like he said that the game blows 2016 out of the water once you get the flow) and criticised what needed criticising (like the cringey dialogue)