Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Baron Pampa

A tactic I wanted to share

I'm not that far into the game, I've just beaten the Slayer Gate of Arc Complex. Took me way too much time, but it seems I've found a rather boring and highly succesfull strategy. Fight features 2 tyrants, baron of hell and a doom hunter .You have to fight 2 tyrants and 1 tyrant + baron of hell at once. Also, there's a lot of imps and soldiers who seem to respawn infinetely. When you upgrade the SSG, you can beat that fight by running around in circles, destroying weak mobs with hook+shoot combo, and chainsawing them once you run low on shotgun shells. The bosses can be engaged purely when passing next to them or when freezed by the ice bomb. What makes this tactic so easy is the huge amounts of armor you get while not putting yourself in a harm way most of the time - SSG hack pull is quite fast, you're immortal while chainsawing, you can use other get-out-of-trouble cards like dash and blood punch if you get swarmed somehow.

So, is it something I can basically repeat for rest of the game O_o?

Tyrants are very immobile so it makes sense you can run circles around them. But by all means, try the rest of the game and report on your results. 

Speaking of tactics, I've used a few myself:

Arachnotrons - I fish out the cannon for their main weapon and just shoot them with anything else afterwards. Have done since my first encounter.

Cacodemons - When I see these buggers, out comes the SG with the Sticky Bombs, so they can eat them and be splinched.

The zombies with the forcefields - Plasma gun, always. I just love blowing up those bastards with their own defences.

Pinkies - I do what you're meant to do and shoot their bums, but I hadn't thought of jumping over them as they charge, before.

Mancubi - I just attack them at long distance with the rockets or plasma gun, they're just too dangerous otherwise.

Revenants - No specific tactic for those, I just finish them off with whatever I can, quickly.

Carcasses - I didn't even know what they were before I fought them, although I saw these forcefields suddenly appear and wondered what the cause was. But they go down easily.

All I can say is, I'm finding the combat easier and easier now. I even took down all three Doom Hunters earlier today first go, although one got stuck in the scenery.

Regarding the Mancubi - Heavy rifle with a scope make destroying their cannons quite easy. Also, they don't have that much HP and speed, so you can SSG them on your way to other mobs. Just don't stay in their range for too long - at least that's what I've found succesfull.

Fast switching between these three guns for most heavies: ssg balista rocket

Late game when there's a lot going on I didn't even really bother with weak points -- just those 3 guns combod up worked like a charm

Then if it's just 1 heavy left I can chaingun if I feel comfortable enough. Chainguns got a lot more utility this time around but ur still not moving fast enough with all it's turrets out

Cacodemons like to put pressure on you, especially when they close the gap, they will take a chunk out of you. You can alleviate this with a sticky bomb from the combat shotgun, or launch a frag grenade into their mouth for the same effect, or use the ice bomb which HELPS with a lot of things.

Arachnotrons, Mancubi, Revenants can have all of their cybernetic weaponry disabled by well placed scoped shot from the heavy assault rifle for example.

Zap the Marauder with a super shotgun/ballista combo when his defences are down. Don't be afraid to lob an explosive behind him either for some additional damage.

What I like to do is torch an enemy, hit it with the chainsaw for a quick armour and ammo refill.

Archviles must be killed on sight. Make them a prime candidate for the crucible. You thought they were pricks in the previous games, they're now even MORE of a threat now.

I'm watching some videos. What's the purpose of the crazy weapon switching, almost every shot? Does it give a greater damage output because no reload animations are needed? Or do the Zero Master-like pros just see things I'm not aware of?

EDIT: Example can be seen in this fight:

11 minutes ago, Baron Pampa said:

I'm watching some videos. What's the purpose of the crazy weapon switching, almost every shot? Does it give a greater damage output because no reload animations are needed? Or do the Zero Master-like pros just see things I'm not aware of?

This may help you:

some of those tactics are told to you when you see the tutorials on each demon.

Best tactic for me was upgrading all grenades ASAP

On 3/30/2020 at 5:04 PM, Baron Pampa said:

So, is it something I can basically repeat for rest of the game

Pretty much. This game (and 2016) are heavily focused on movement. You keep moving, you don't get hit.

Flame Belch and Plasma Rifle Heat Blast for tanking hordes, focus firing Whiplashes, Revenants and anything with a shield.

(The Plasma Rifle tends to be my default weapon for most situations, in part due to it's generous ammo supply and ability to clear trash.)

Chaingun and Energy Shield to tank Knights and Barons.

Blood Punch and Rocket Lock On to quick kill Cyber Mancubi.

Double Grenades and Micro Missiles for quick kills generally.

Blood Punch and BFG (or Crucible) to quick kill Archviles.

Sticky Bombs for Cacodemons, Marauders and early Arachnotrons.

Since this seems like a good place to share it, I found two one-shot heavy demon staggers:

• Prowler: direct hit with the Ballista
  • Carcass: Blood Punch (will not work on Doom Hunter Base, you need the damage upgrade you get for completing that level first)

Switching between shotgun/rocket launcher/ballista is indeed extremely powerful. I've picked it up today, and I've just finished a Slayer Arena on Nightmare in 2 approaches. Previous ones were taking me like 10-20 deaths:D. It's important to rebind the keys. I use Q for ballista, E for super shotgun and F for rocket launcher.