Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
insertwackynamehere

Classic Cocktails

Is anyone else here a fan of classic cocktails?

With the quarantine full swing, I’ve been revisiting some old classic drinks I enjoyed making. I don’t normally drink alone at home too much these days as it’s not a very healthy habit but the recent lockdown has loosened up my personal restrictions on that.

My favorite drink all around for ease, tastiness, cross-seasonality and reliability is the Negroni.

The Negroni manages to capture the feeling of sitting in a café on vacation in between visiting museums, at least for me. I like traveling alone and keeping my own schedule where I stop by cafes, walk, visit a museum or park, stop by another cafe and repeat, with no competing plans or initiatives. Everything about the Negroni encompasses classy hedonistic day-drinking for me.

I’ve also enjoyed Manhattans, Martinis, Sazeracs, and variations of such throughout my life but the Negroni has reigned supreme as I get older and realize darker liquor hits me worse even in moderate amounts, the next day.

Simpler and less acquired in taste is the Cuba Libre which is a fancy name for rum and Coke. I get a lot of flack for this as it’s seen as a kids drink by many but it’s my favorite poolside drink. It’s adult soda, probably because it’s half soda. It’s there to serve as a refreshing drink for hanging out in the blinding heat with friends. It serves the same purpose as watery beer for me in that regard except more interesting. Normal Coke is too cloying now that I expect it to taste as softened and thinned out as it does when it’s half rum. I will often cut Coke with soda water if I don’t want to drink alcohol but do want to have a Coke (which is rare these days, in spite of the inherent unhealthiness of the topic at hand, I switch 99.9% of my hydration drinking to water in the recent years).

Tonite I’m having an alone Kina Cocktail. This cocktail originally called for Kina Lillet which is long discontinued (Lillet Blanc is a weak substitute). The greater cocktail blogosphere calls for Cocchi Americano as the true heir to the cinchona bark fortified wine throne. Kina wines contain quinine which acts as a bittering agent but more importantly at the time of their invention and popularity the quinine was used due to its potent antimalarial properties (see also, tonic water).

Quinine analogues and derivatives are back in the news as potential COVID cures. This is not to say quinine flavored cocktail ingredients will cure or treat any illness, it’s 2020 not pre-WWI. However, it’s an interesting history and topical given current events.

So does anyone else have a taste for classic cocktails?

E07fkVQ_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Oh, i see you man of culture as well.

I prefer good old drink from my homecountry Russia - ''Drunk Worm''.
30ml of Vodka, 30ml of Mayonnasie, Dashes Tabasco and Black Pepper.

For making it you must follow two simple steps:
1. Pour vodka into shot glass followed by tabasco.

2. Add a dash of black pepper and top with a squeeze of mayonnaise.

Enjoy. 

1.jpg

@ValeriyPipick Got all your basic food groups there!

That it's mayonnaise and not a noodle, actually grosses me out.

I like White Russians, not the wimpy little ones bars serve for $6.   I put some ice in a pint glass or larger mug, simultaneously pour Finlandia (or Vikingfjord if I can ever find it again) and some good coffee liquor that comes in a glass bottle but isn't way overpriced Kahlua BS, and fill the rest with almond or cashew or almond+coconut milk.   Mix with a butter knife (but no butter).   Gets me feeling good for a good while and then I sober up and never have a hangover from it.   Haven't done it in a long time.  I gotta get whatever milk.

Drinking a Hofbräu München now.   Great beer.

2 hours ago, ValeriyPipick said:

I prefer good old drink from my homecountry Russia - ''Drunk Worm''.
30ml of Vodka, 30ml of Mayonnasie, Dashes Tabasco and Black Pepper.

For making it you must follow two simple steps:
1. Pour vodka into shot glass followed by tabasco.

2. Add a dash of black pepper and top with a squeeze of mayonnaise.

No offense my dude, but that sounds really disgusting and almost like a troll drink. Is it even a real drink??

16 hours ago, Nevander said:

Is it even a real drink??

I was curious as well so I did a bit of research and...apparently it is? They call it a tapeworm shot, but it's exactly the same thing as the original post.

Reminds me of a Shat in the Ocean, which is a few drops Baileys in this blue Maui stuff.   Or if an Irish carbomb was allowed to sit.

Also Baileys is another ripoff living off its name.   St. Branden's is good Irish creme liquor that's not overpriced.

As a lard-blooded American, that ramen-looking drink even skeeves me out.

Contrary to OP, I find extra time offers opportunity to savor the simple pleasure of bourbon-in-a-cup.

Sipping high-proof bourbon neat has the added benefit of preventing me from getting uncomfortably drunk too fast.

Cocktails I do enjoy, pretty much all of them but some that come to mind:

Old fashioned, Manhattan, martini (of all manners of preparation), bloody mary

14 hours ago, Doom_Dude said:

I don't drink very often and when I do I usually just have a beer.

I do like a Bermuda Rum Swizzle or a Dark and Stormy sometimes.

Ooohh! The Bermuda Rum Swizzle is a good one, I haven't thought of that one in years. I must look into that recipe!

I started going back to a classic cocktail I used to make at my old apartment but haven't done so in the whole almost two years I've lived at my current space. As such, I have been making whiskey sours and fiddling with the ingredient amounts every other time. Always use egg whites though, I love that layer on top. It's one of my favorite drinks.

I mostly drink red wine and beer but I sometimes drink grog with friends on the coldest winter evenings.

Edited by Slipgate Tourist

On 4/1/2020 at 10:00 PM, Kirby said:

Ooohh! The Bermuda Rum Swizzle is a good one, I haven't thought of that one in years. I must look into that recipe!

I started going back to a classic cocktail I used to make at my old apartment but haven't done so in the whole almost two years I've lived at my current space. As such, I have been making whiskey sours and fiddling with the ingredient amounts every other time. Always use egg whites though, I love that layer on top. It's one of my favorite drinks.

Oooh yeah, I had forgotten about Whiskey Sours. lol. It used to be a thing here at Christmas, to have a Whiskey Sour at some point. It must be like 10 years or more since I had one. Good stuff. :D

i was in Russia a time ago, and i get surprised by a serious blizzard.
Some good folks let me pass the storm on their house and they offered me soup.

It was creamy and smelly, a little cheese smell that was amazing, and the fuck!! it taste like heaven.

I asked what kind of soup was it, and they tell me it was shoe soup.

Yep, shoe soup.

So don't get surprise if they offer you ron with mayonnaise.

Oh, and obviosly, i asked what kind of shoe they souped me in the recipe so i can made it myself. 

My personal cocktail of choice is the greyhound

-grapefruit juice

-ice

-vodka (or gin)

-lime garnish

greyhound.jpg.ef20ad01290df7bb7681fb647159ab41.jpg

Shake and serve.

If you like grapefruit you'll love this drink, it's very simple to make and the grapefruit masks the alcohol particularly well which makes it great for beginners or people who want a stronger drink.  You can also mix it up and use different kinds of fruits for garnish or substitute the vodka for gin and other alcohols.  With salt on the rim, you have a whole other drink called the salty dog.

Simple, versatile, cheap, classy

Good thread btw!

After a 5-year streak, the only kinds of cocktails I want to be near of are non-alcoholic.

I do usually drink cocktails when I'm in the mood for them, mostly Martini, Rum Swizzle, Mojito, and Greyhounds, but they're not exactly my favorite drinks - I don't prepare them myself either -, and if there's not something else available, more exactly Frappes.

I certainly am a coffee guy, so if that's available I'll go for it instead :p .

Me, drinking my premium drink while reading this.

24474382486-500x515.png

I have never tried a cocktail before, but here theres a drink called ''michelada'' that's quite tasty and easy to make.